Question about rankings??

sstark

What is the thought process behind freshman being ranked ahead of returning qualifiers and place winners?

Never really understood this and was hoping someone else might be able to share the thought process here. Not a knock on the rankings, just a genuine question.

Edited by sstark

45 minutes ago, sstark said:

What is the thought process behind freshman being ranked ahead of returning qualifiers and place winners?

Never really understood this and was hoping someone else might be able to share the thought process here. Not a knock on the rankings, just a genuine question.

A lot of times those freshman might have beat those older guys in a summer tournament before the rankings are made and are taken into consideration. 

1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

This can be summed up with two words which were coined by the great poster on this site @PhillyFanMD

”Super Frosh”

Super Frosh eat state placers!!!!

Super Frosh is a Hammer Freshman who eats State Runner up and returning champs

Examples:  SuperFrosh Nick Lee devours some runner up from Penn, SuperFrosh Joe Lee devours James and most recently Mendez totally devouring Watts.  He would have devoured Curtis too

Edited by PhillyFanMD

5 hours ago, sstark said:

Some of these Freshman are so so so badass as they will devour their upperclassman opponents.

Simply put Boys shanking Men

Being ranked in general is a nice recognition of your hard work and ability.  in recent years some of these Freshman have put together a very impressive national resume over the last couple years against cadet age group competition.  So I can see some ranking coordinator may consider plugging a few in, especially at the lower weights.  Not every talented wrestlers will have their name out there enough to get that recognition later in the the year, let along at this point of the season.  Our ranking guys do a great job and are pretty accurate with their picks by the last rankings, but even they will point out how a couple unranked guys (mostly due to lack of info on them) who qualified for state slipped by them. 

However, getting too caught up in where you are rank isn't necessary, especially in the first month of competition.  That ranking maybe a curse to some if they feel if they value it too much.  Heck I've seen kids get so nervous about trying to keep a ranking they finally earned that they drop matches they probably shouldn't have by being too conservative or failing on a mid-match desperation move after being down a couple points early.  I've also seen ranked wrestlers let their foot off the gas and drop a match because they began to assume that ranking meant they have already proven they will make it to state.  

The rankings will all "come out in the wash" as the season progresses and more results start come in. If anything use your lower or non-ranking as motivation to keep improving your craft so you can prove your ability doesn't match your ranking when that time comes.  When a wrestlers season ends, and they looked back at how they did, believe me they they won't be reflecting on where they were ranked during the course of that year.

Edited by MattM

MattM, you are so Correct! As we spoke before , I believe your Program has a young man that is under the Radar! Just

going about his Business and working for the State Series to begin! Good Luck to all your Wrestlers.

I am a person that likes to see the Wrestler bump to challenge to better competition. I know a loss sucks but when you 

look at the Bigger picture all Indiana HS Sports consist of 2 seasons. Yes it is important to win in this Individual Sport,

but @ Sectional time really you are 0-0. New start or Season 2. Yes Team/Individual differ, but step up to the challenge

and Push yourself. BT19  Good luck to all in this Great Sport

10 minutes ago, tskin said:

News flash I was ranked in the power poll my jr and sr year and never made it out of regionals.  Rankings don't matter

That's because the rankings gurus back then were not the greatest minds in wrestling like we have today.

46 minutes ago, TripleB said:

You wouldn't have broken my top 8 in SS!!!

WOW..... even with all the face time and beverages he has provided you over the years ?    I would venture to guess he (@tskin) knows the key to the @TripleB vault and could likely get anything he wants ????

Saying rankings don’t mean anything is absolutely false. I can speak from experience. As soon as my son hit some national rankings. His phone, instagram, snap, and whatever else blew up with college coaches contacting him. Elite travel teams look at our state rankings to recruit guys. That leads to national exposure against the best kids. I bet it was the same experience for every other nationally ranked kid over the last several years. 

With that said.... don’t try to fly under the radar. Let people know who the kids are. Promote, promote promote. I know you all got sick of all the Avon Youngunz stuff. With that said, 8 kids that were on those teams are wrestling in college. Keeping them relevant and ranked as high as possible put them on radars. 

I love what the young Crown Point program is doing. I bet most of us know their starting line up. Their fans are pumped and are promoting the hell out of their kids. Keep it up Crown Point!!!

4 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

That's because the rankings gurus back then were not the greatest minds in wrestling like we have today.

My favorite was when Cooper Samuels came from unknown and unranked to win the state title. And by unknown I mean returning state runner-up. 

12 hours ago, Silence Dogood said:

My favorite was when Cooper Samuels came from unknown and unranked to win the state title. And by unknown I mean returning state runner-up. 

Cooper had an injury his junior year and someone posted he quit to start swimming and everyone wished him well! 😂 

He was wrestling from the Mater Dei holiday tournament on!  No longer are the day of being able to hide in the dark! @Y2CJ41 has eyes EVERYWHERE!

22 minutes ago, bsisson said:

Cooper had an injury his junior year and someone posted he quit to start swimming and everyone wished him well! 😂 

He was wrestling from the Mater Dei holiday tournament on!  No longer are the day of being able to hide in the dark! @Y2CJ41 has eyes EVERYWHERE!

giphy.gif

On 12/5/2019 at 2:54 PM, tskin said:

News flash I was ranked in the power poll my jr and sr year and never made it out of regionals.  Rankings don't matter

I never said rankings mattered. I do think they matter though, because they get these kids exposure which helps with recruiting. I understand that the only rankings that matter, are the 8 men or women standing on the podium at the end of the season.

Edited by sstark

On 12/5/2019 at 7:48 AM, TripleB said:

I used to refuse to rank Freshmen until they had quality in season wins. I don't remember when I shifted, might have been some Lee boys from Mater Dei or The Lee kid from Brownsburg. 

Should’ve been that Red Kid from New Palestine.

On 12/5/2019 at 5:40 PM, Mattyb said:

Saying rankings don’t mean anything is absolutely false. I can speak from experience. As soon as my son hit some national rankings. His phone, instagram, snap, and whatever else blew up with college coaches contacting him. Elite travel teams look at our state rankings to recruit guys. That leads to national exposure against the best kids. I bet it was the same experience for every other nationally ranked kid over the last several years. 

With that said.... don’t try to fly under the radar. Let people know who the kids are. Promote, promote promote. I know you all got sick of all the Avon Youngunz stuff. With that said, 8 kids that were on those teams are wrestling in college. Keeping them relevant and ranked as high as possible put them on radars. 

I love what the young Crown Point program is doing. I bet most of us know their starting line up. Their fans are pumped and are promoting the hell out of their kids. Keep it up Crown Point!!!

1 of the better posts of 2019! You win the day with this 1.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.