Weight Management Clarification

Clint Gard

6 minutes ago, Clint Gard said:

I have a 120lber that has 6.74% BF, so he is below 7% (obviously). His Alpha Weight is 120.0.  Does he wrestle 120 or 126?  The IHSAA says 126.

These are instances that Robert has told us coaches to "call him." He used the instance in which an athlete's minimum wrestling weight was 119.7 and wrestling 120. He said "there are things we can do." Seems fuzzy, but make that phone call. 

What is frustrating to me, is say that your athlete weighed 120.3 (and therefore fat tested over 7%), he/she could then use the parent form to get to 5.5%, but not if they are already below the 7%. 

45 minutes ago, ehscoach said:

What is frustrating to me, is say that your athlete weighed 120.3 (and therefore fat tested over 7%), he/she could then use the parent form to get to 5.5%, but not if they are already below the 7%. 

Yes this is very frustrating. Last year we had a wrestler that was 6.9% and .1 over a weight class and couldn't go down. But we had an other that was 7.1% and was able to drop over a pound with a parent signature. 

9 hours ago, Steven Sandefer said:

I would think he would be able to continue to weigh-in EXACTLY AT his alpha weight 120.0 for 120 with a 7% signature. I don't think he is allowed to be anything below that. I had a similar issue last year with a 106 that couldn't be below his alpha because of his body fat %

This is CORRECT according to the rules and all the questions I've had.  He would have to be exactly 120.0 with no leeway. If he were below 120.0 he could wrestle, but it would not be a quality weigh in.  So, basically, you'd want him to weigh 120.0 for a quality weight in at scratch.  Then maybe wrestle him at 126 until there is the two pound allowance. 

11 hours ago, rmonroe294 said:

Do we go by master report for minimum weight class?

Whatever it says the wrestler's minimum weight is at 7%.  For females its 12.  (Obviously, you can only lose 1.5% per week to have a quality weigh in, so if a kid weighed 250 and his minimum weight at 7% was 151.9 then he would not be able to wrestle 152 during this season as he wouldn't have enough time to make scratch legally)

Get the below 7% Dr.’s note which should allow him to weigh exactly 120.0 and wrestle 120. Weigh in one time at 120.0 and make sure it’s a qualifying weigh in. From there, weigh in at 126 and get more qualifying weigh ins. Once 2lbs allowance arrives, now he can weigh in at 120-122 and wrestle 120 again.

Edited by swain358
Autocorrect

Everyone...I've got the form signed.  Emailed Robert yesterday.  My AD emailed him the day before.  The only thing I can think of is that the minimum weight says 120.3...that's the lowest he can be at 7%.  That would be the only sticking point I could see.  But that hasn't been mentioned as the issue.

Here is our back and forth...

Good Morning Mr. Faulkens,

Yesterday, you spoke with my AD, Ryan Johnson, concerning a young man that has 6.74% BF with an Alpha Weight of 120.0.  In reading over the doctor's clearance form and the explanation sheet we gave to the doctor, I still can't give an accurate reason to the wrestler and his parents as to why he can't wrestle 120.  

If his Alpha Weight is 120.0 and the doctor's clearance form gives him permission to wrestle at his Alpha Weight, shouldn't he be able to compete at 120.0?  On the explanation to the doctor, it states "If you give permission for the wrestler to compete at his Alpha Weight, please circle A."  A states that he can compete at his alpha weight or the weight class above.  The example given in A doesn't account for a wrestler with an Alpha Weight at an exact weight class.  Ex.  Wrestler weighs 110 and is under 7% BF, so he must wrestle 113.  That's easy to understand.  But what if the wrestler was at 113 and under 7%.  Wouldn't he still be able to compete at 113?

Any clarification you can give would be appreciated.  As you can probably tell, I'm confused and I want to be able to communicate effectively to the wrestler and the parents.  I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you!

From RF...
First of all, the Physician’s clearance simply notes that he can wrestle without having to gain the weight to be at 7% body fat.  The rule is that an underweight wrestler wrestles at the weight class which immediately exceeds the alpha weight.  

Unless the form on the IHSAA site is wrong that is not what it states?

https://ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys sports/wrestling/Physicians Clearance 2019-20.pdf?ver=2019-11-18-153523-410

"The sub-7% male or sub-12% female, upon physician clearance, may not wrestle below his/her alpha weight."

"The wrestler named has received clearance as provided by the Indiana High School Athletic Association Wrestling Weight Control Program to participate at a wrestling weight not lower than his/her Alpha Weight (present weight) which is below the 7% (male) or 12% (female) minimum body fat allowance. EXAMPLE: Alpha weight 110 pounds; 7% weight 114 pounds. Wrestler may wrestle no lower than the 113 pound weight class."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.