Wrestling By-Laws Webinar... important Info

ENoblewrestling

Head coaches make sure you are getting this done.  It was new last year, I completed it last night.  Anyhow one thing that stood out to me was the following rule.

50-4 and 101-4

(Individual Sports)

In order for a student to qualify for participation ins the IHSAA tournament series in an Individual Sport (cross country, golf, tennis, swimming and diving, track and field, and wresting) the student must have participated, during the preceding regular season in a minimum of (i) seventy-five present (75%) of the Season Contests in which the students school participated, and (ii) Twenty-five percent (25 %) of the maximum number of authorized Season Contests in that sport.

I personally was not aware of this rule. So I sent an email to Commissioner Faulkens.  I had three questions.

1. Is this new?
  2. What exactly is this saying?  Most are reading this as the athlete needs to participate in 75% of the meets, tourneys, duals?  Is this correct?
  3. It states a waiver is needed, where do we get this waiver?

He responded 

1. No
  2. Your wrestlers have to compete in 75 percent of your scheduled matches.
  3. Your AD requests the waiver.  If the wrestler was injured, academically ineligible, or just plain could not beat someone out at the weight class until late in the season.

Just an FYI

14 minutes ago, ENoblewrestling said:

Head coaches make sure you are getting this done.  It was new last year, I completed it last night.  Anyhow one thing that stood out to me was the following rule.

50-4 and 101-4

(Individual Sports)

In order for a student to qualify for participation ins the IHSAA tournament series in an Individual Sport (cross country, golf, tennis, swimming and diving, track and field, and wresting) the student must have participated, during the preceding regular season in a minimum of (i) seventy-five present (75%) of the Season Contests in which the students school participated, and (ii) Twenty-five percent (25 %) of the maximum number of authorized Season Contests in that sport.

I personally was not aware of this rule. So I sent an email to Commissioner Faulkens.  I had three questions.

1. Is this new?
  2. What exactly is this saying?  Most are reading this as the athlete needs to participate in 75% of the meets, tourneys, duals?  Is this correct?
  3. It states a waiver is needed, where do we get this waiver?

He responded 

1. No
  2. Your wrestlers have to compete in 75 percent of your scheduled matches.
  3. Your AD requests the waiver.  If the wrestler was injured, academically ineligible, or just plain could not beat someone out at the weight class until late in the season.

Just an FYI

So if a wrestler misses the first half of the season for an injury, then he is ineligible to compete in the sectional?

Or if the wrestler spends most of the season on JV for a school that has a limited number of JV events?

Maybe I am misunderstanding?

I noticed this also and asked my AD

This was brought up because of soccer player joining cross country team after they were eliminated from state tourney series (or vise versa).  

I was told that it is not about competing but more about being on the roster from day 1.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.