Headgear and Brand Logos - Clarification as of 11/19/19

samaj

I have been asked recently by coaches, and have had some discussion with some officials about the new rule that went into effect this year about Headgear only having 1 manufacturers logo on them.  The IHSAA recently told the officials that the new rule was going into effect despite the fact that Cliff Keen, Adidas, and Asics all had 2 logos on their headgear and that schools would have to mark logos out with a sharpie or cover them up with tape etc etc.

Today I got word, through Adidas Wrestling, and saw a copy of a letter from the NFHS to Adidas Wrestling, that states the new rule would NOT be going into effect this season because the manufacturers of headgear have not had time to comply with the new rules.

The information has been sent to the IHSAA.  I assume they may notify everyone officially on this.

If anybody has any questions, feel free to email me at eisports@sigecom.net

Jeff Schaefer

E.I. Sports and Apparel

Asst Coach - Evansville Memorial HS

Edited by samaj

Theses type of logo rules seem a little nitpicking when they are so small a person doesn’t even notice them.  

But on a side note, someone said the solution to it was wrestlers should cover the additional logo with tape?  Isn’t there still a rule that says you can not hate tape covering any part of your headgear?    

Edited by MattM

In all honesty does it really matter what’s on a headgear I remember when the no tape rule became a thing and it seemed ridiculous now having more than one logo on a headgear is gonna be a rule seems like there could be more important things to worry about 

2 hours ago, AJ said:

We just bought Adidas team headgear last year that has their 3 stripe logo on each side...  

This is what frustrates me. I can understand not wanting logos all over the uniforms, but headgear are generally purchased with the intent to hold up for a long time. If a team buys headgear for their whole team this year, and the rule changes again next year, wtf are they supposed to do?

On 11/19/2019 at 3:26 PM, samaj said:

I have been asked recently by coaches, and have had some discussion with some officials about the new rule that went into effect this year about Headgear only having 1 manufacturers logo on them.  The IHSAA recently told the officials that the new rule was going into effect despite the fact that Cliff Keen, Adidas, and Asics all had 2 logos on their headgear and that schools would have to mark logos out with a sharpie or cover them up with tape etc etc.

Today I got word, through Adidas Wrestling, and saw a copy of a letter from the NFHS to Adidas Wrestling, that states the new rule would NOT be going into effect this season because the manufacturers of headgear have not had time to comply with the new rules.

The information has been sent to the IHSAA.  I assume they may notify everyone officially on this.

If anybody has any questions, feel free to email me at eisports@sigecom.net

Jeff Schaefer

E.I. Sports and Apparel

Asst Coach - Evansville Memorial HS

Meets have already started... Has anyone heard anything official from their ADs regarding this change??

This was addressed by the refs during the coaches meeting at the John Hurley tournament.  They said that the rule was suspended for this year, so they weren't going to enforce it.  The only thing they brought up was other logos, such as colleges ect.  They said that the idea behind the rule was prevent kids from being walking billboards.  So all those kids paying $40+ for those stickers at off-season tournaments will need to peel them off before competing.  

8 minutes ago, julia2009 said:

This was addressed by the refs during the coaches meeting at the John Hurley tournament.  They said that the rule was suspended for this year, so they weren't going to enforce it.  The only thing they brought up was other logos, such as colleges ect.  They said that the idea behind the rule was prevent kids from being walking billboards.  So all those kids paying $40+ for those stickers at off-season tournaments will need to peel them off before competing.  

good to know 

2 hours ago, bigballerb said:

Can’t stand this, let the kids rep who they want. It causes no harm to have a penn state logo on the side of the kids headgear. I know my complaining won’t change anything but jeez. Glad to see the IHSAA has their priorities in check 👍.

I believe the rule refers to manufacturers logos. Any other decorations just can’t be offensive. Therefore it is my understanding that a Penn State sticker would be ok. 

On 11/26/2019 at 3:56 PM, Rookies03 said:

I believe the rule refers to manufacturers logos. Any other decorations just can’t be offensive. Therefore it is my understanding that a Penn State sticker would be ok. 

The head ref specifically mentioned collegiate stickers/headgear.  So, I approached him with headgear that my wrestler had been using that had a decal.  He said no, it needed to be removed.  He said that rule had been in place for awhile.   

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.