How Many Wrestlers?

nkraus

How many did you start with?  Update what you're at by weeks end.  Our number at Garrett is 51.  One wrestler finds out if he will have eligibility tomorrow.  I believe one more is quitting.  Two more are on the short list.  I believe we will be down to 47 by Saturday and I think we will hold steady there.  This is the best turnout we've ever had.  

Notes:

1.  Most of these kids will not quit.  We got them to start wrestling in our youth club/middle school and they enjoy it for some reason.

2. We've been attracting some new kids who are athletic that can develop.  Just need to get them at a younger age.

3.  We've had some kids that didn't come out their freshman year that are back out this year as sophomores.

Edited by nkraus
typo

22 yesterday on day 1, a few physicals turned in, a negative X-ray from gym class(badminton) we ended up with 26 today and another 1 on IR. These are my lowest #s since I started. However saying that I have 1 beginner. And I'd say 23 or so I wouldn't hesitate to put in a varsity lineup if I had to. 

My last few seasons had been right under 40.  Ironically, my 2 lowest # seasons have been the years CC has been invited to the team state. 

Kids I lost- 1 sr because he believes he would be jv, another to IR (needs Tommy Johns surgery and not a ball player). 6 Jr's and 4 of them were suspended a year ago for either grades or school rules. 4 sophs including an ISWA State champ, a returning regional Qual, varsity rb, and a bowler.

Any tips on how to keep those guys, particularly the sophs?

Current Roster at 34.

Lost three kids from last years team.  One was a senior.  Another injured himself and then after playing football this year decided basketball was the route he was going to take, pretty good wrestler also could of made a run in the tourney.  The final decided he was going to focus on running sports

Finished the season last year with 20 on roster so we have alot of new faces, including some new football players with no wrestling experience giving it a whirl.  It ebbs and flows from year to year.  I have had classes were kids no matter what you did just weren't involved in sports.  Last couple of classes have had lots of competitive kids and we have seen our numbers rise.  Madison hovers around low 800's in enrollment.  So 30+ kids for us is a good turnout.  When I was in school here back in the 90's and our enrollment was over 1000 we still only had 20-30 kids in the program.  Goal is to try to reach that 40 kid mark this season.

It also helps when the coaches son is starting his freshman year and he can talk his football teammates into coming out.

We have 27 on day one. Much like Blane, a few kids need this or that paper work wise but looks like right around 30. We had 35 at a call out meeting and seemed promising, but kids wanting/needing jobs, focus on grades the usual reasons, legit or not. 

Good sized freshman class with 12 guys there. Our program seems to be growing every year. 3 years ago when I moved from jr high to high school we had 12 guys finish the season, back then i thought if we had 5 per class we would be doing pretty good. Middle school numbers are rising up around 45ish 6th, 7th, 8th graders. Last night was our first youth camp night and had 60 kids from k-6.

So we are excited about the momentum!

49 minutes ago, doctorWrestling said:

I was wondering if anyone has had issues with room size being too small and had to split practice or do something different because there is just no way to fit all the kids in the "room" at the same time.  If so, how did you handle it?

When I was in school we split the upper and lower weights.  We would do some form of conditioning with one group and technique with the other.

I began coaching at Mishawaka a year after I had graduated from there, and spent 2 years learning from a HOF coach. Moved on from there and spent 6 years at Jimtown, coaching the likes of Kenny Kerrn, Hunter Watts, etc. I had the privilege of learning under another HOF coach.

Three years ago, myself and friends/coaches that I trust, took over a program that was in desperate need of a revival.  Our first year at Bremen we had 5 kids at the High School level, 13 at the middle school, and 19 came out for the first time for our youth program. Last year we had 11 at the high school, 30 in middle school, and 35 in our club. Going into this year, we have 20 at the high school level, expecting 30+ in the middle school, and we just ended our introductory youth camp with over 40 kids. Our Club is expected to have at least 30+, starting next week, and we are competing in elementary duals in a few weeks. For the first time in about 5 years, Bremen should have a full high school lineup. None of this would be possible if I didn’t have coaches around myself that helped out as much as they do, parents believing in the process, and our philosophy. Good things are in motion and it is exciting to see what we are accomplishing in terms of rebuilding a program. Everything else will fall into place as we move forward!

Call us butter, because we are on a roll!

4 hours ago, Antknee said:

I began coaching at Mishawaka a year after I had graduated from there, and spent 2 years learning from a HOF coach. Moved on from there and spent 6 years at Jimtown, coaching the likes of Kenny Kerrn, Hunter Watts, etc. I had the privilege of learning under another HOF coach.

Three years ago, myself and friends/coaches that I trust, took over a program that was in desperate need of a revival.  Our first year at Bremen we had 5 kids at the High School level, 13 at the middle school, and 19 came out for the first time for our youth program. Last year we had 11 at the high school, 30 in middle school, and 35 in our club. Going into this year, we have 20 at the high school level, expecting 30+ in the middle school, and we just ended our introductory youth camp with over 40 kids. Our Club is expected to have at least 30+, starting next week, and we are competing in elementary duals in a few weeks. For the first time in about 5 years, Bremen should have a full high school lineup. None of this would be possible if I didn’t have coaches around myself that helped out as much as they do, parents believing in the process, and our philosophy. Good things are in motion and it is exciting to see what we are accomplishing in terms of rebuilding a program. Everything else will fall into place as we move forward!

Call us butter, because we are on a roll!

Great job Coach!

7 hours ago, doctorWrestling said:

I was wondering if anyone has had issues with room size being too small and had to split practice or do something different because there is just no way to fit all the kids in the "room" at the same time.  If so, how did you handle it?

Our room has two mats 18 practice circles but normally 45-50 kids so we usually do groups of 3.  Works pretty well, helps with stamina as well.

As a result of @CoachSnyder making my job harder, we have 49 at Brownsburg West Middle school, with more coming soon. Brownsburg East will probably have more, and this is for preseason workouts. Our season doesn’t officially start until the 2nd week of December. The tough part is we don’t have a room, or gym access yet, so we had a couple mat strips in the hallways, a couple in the cafeteria, a couple on the stage. Thanks a lot Darrick.🙄

On 11/6/2019 at 1:31 AM, Blane Culp said:

22 yesterday on day 1, a few physicals turned in, a negative X-ray from gym class(badminton) we ended up with 26 today and another 1 on IR. These are my lowest #s since I started. However saying that I have 1 beginner. And I'd say 23 or so I wouldn't hesitate to put in a varsity lineup if I had to. 

My last few seasons had been right under 40.  Ironically, my 2 lowest # seasons have been the years CC has been invited to the team state. 

Kids I lost- 1 sr because he believes he would be jv, another to IR (needs Tommy Johns surgery and not a ball player). 6 Jr's and 4 of them were suspended a year ago for either grades or school rules. 4 sophs including an ISWA State champ, a returning regional Qual, varsity rb, and a bowler.

Any tips on how to keep those guys, particularly the sophs?

Just received the call out sign up sheets from our middle school today

32 6th graders

21 7th graders

26 8th graders

We will see how many actually show up to practice. 

Wheeler high school is currently at 32, I have a few that are not allowed to practice until physical are turn in. I believe my real number is at 26-28. I will know in a few weeks but I’m usually good on keeping everyone who steps on my mats. This is actually the highest numbers we had. Full line up, With a 14 that I had for a least 2-3 years so I have a nice core. Wheeler only having 531 kids enrolled , and only on our 7th year of having this program. And we are finalizing our plans for our new wrestling room. Things are moving forward in the right direction.

On 11/7/2019 at 6:37 AM, doctorWrestling said:

We are a 6A school (3A wrestling). I have around 50 kids in my room. Anyone who has been in the FC room knows its tiny. We just utilize running tons of stuff off the whistle, splitting kids into groups, and having "full recovery" matches. Also helps to have "focus groups" or high intensity varsity stuff at different times of the day too. 

We went from 51 down to 50.  I'm surprised some of them stuck around.  Our feeder league has 70-90 per year for k-8, but then during middle school season another 20 will come out.   Our last couple freshman classes have been 12-15.  On our current team we have 10 seniors, 10 juniors, 15 sophomores, and 15 freshman.  The kid we had quit was a freshman.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.