Hoosiers in College 2019-2020 Results

Thanks for the heads up.  I jotted that down and hopefully can check in on it online this weekend or at least get some results to post next week.  I appreciate updates from everyone as I can't keep up with all of the tournaments with less time now.  It makes this section better when more people participate!

3 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Lots of our top high schoolers from the last few years will be in action at the UIndy open (Sunday). Personally will be a middle school state. Would be fun to go watch some of our top guys from the last few years wrestle In the same tourney. 

Quick question... Track Wrestling shows the Greyhound Duals and the Greyhound Open.  Are these two separate events being run at the same time?

7 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Quick question... Track Wrestling shows the Greyhound Duals and the Greyhound Open.  Are these two separate events being run at the same time?

Not sure... wondering the same thing. Any UIndy dads moms or coaches out there know?

Edited by Mattyb

On 2/4/2020 at 9:36 AM, SWINfan said:

- #8 Chad Red had another rough day dropping a 10-1 major dec to Luke Pletcher

Finally got a chance to watch this match.

It was pretty similar to the Red-Lee match a week earlier. In the end it was a major & Pletcher completely dominated the match in much the same manner that Lee did. But both needed the entire 7 minutes to reach the major decision threshold.

One interesting note, the commentators mentioned how Red & Pletcher had history. They said they wrestled each other in High School in the 'Who's #1' series with Red winning. It is interesting that Red defeated both Lee & Pletcher in HS & now both are completely controlling their matches against him. Not trying to hate on CJ, just an observation that these 2 former HS opponents both seemed to have improved beyond where CJ currently is. Is it motivation, dedication, confidence, coaching?

It is certainly possible that CJ could close the gap with these guys. But from what I have seen over the last 2 weeks, Lee & Pletcher seem to be just a cut above Red this year.

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

It is certainly possible that CJ could close the gap with these guys. But from what I have seen over the last 2 weeks, Lee & Pletcher seem to be just a cut above Red this year.

Then again, many times in all sports when the "pressure" is taken off by being an overwhelming underdog, the underdog plays loose, takes risks and generally does better the next time around. 

I look for Red to go for his offense more in the next matchup and then he becomes a much more dangerous opponent

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Red don’t show all his cards till the money is on the line. 
Looking for another AA run this year. 

So you are suggesting that CJ sandbagged his matches with his team in a tight dual meet against both PSU & OSU?

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Red don’t show all his cards till the money is on the line. 
Looking for another AA run this year. 

Sorry, that's weak.  He wrestles in the Big Ten, the best conference in the country.  He's just getting beat.  To act as he has stepped up in such a great way, just to finish 7th and 8th, is ignoring the fact of reality.  It's not a compliment to be seen as just okay and then getting to AA.  He only beat one wrestler seeded higher than him to AA last year.  The year before he had an awesome win over Dean Heil, but none of his other wins were against big names or high seeds.  

He's stepped up, granted.  But he's also lost in the 2nd round both years.  Maybe he does better when the pressure is off?

I just don't think it's a compliment to excuse his losses as not important.

8 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

What domination by Nick Lee! A 14-1 Major with 4+ minutes of riding time over Tristan Moran of Wisconsin.  That was a punishing win over a guy he lost to in last year's dual.

Shows you how much he has improved! Big matches coming up. Can't wait to see Lee vs Pletcher!

Anyone know why Red was out tonight against Purdue?

Aside from Nick Lee's beatdown of Tristan Moran Friday night, there were a few other noteworthy results...

Nebraska handled Purdue in their dual 31-9.

- Dylan Lydy got a nice 5-2 win over Mikey Labriola
- Chad Red did not wrestle
- Thomas Penola dropped a 12-8 decision to David Jensen

Drew Hildebrandt won by fall in a dual against Buffalo

Michigan State at Northwestern
Garrett Pepple won an 8-4 decision over Dylan Utterback
Drew Hughes lost by DQ to Shayne Oster - details anyone?
Lucas Davidson won by major dec over Nick May 12-2

Nick Lee was phenomenal Friday night.  He is on another level this year and I don't see anyone keeping him from winning a national championship this year.  

On to Parris, just watched his match and WOW!!  Last year he wasn't quite filled out at HWT and his stamina looked bad.  Fast forward this year and he looks like a HWT with the stamina.  His athleticism was on display tonight.  Gonna be lit when he and Steveson meet up.  Could have 2 Indiana boys winning their first national championships this year.

2 hours ago, tonyb71 said:

Nick Lee was phenomenal Friday night.  He is on another level this year and I don't see anyone keeping him from winning a national championship this year.  

On to Parris, just watched his match and WOW!!  Last year he wasn't quite filled out at HWT and his stamina looked bad.  Fast forward this year and he looks like a HWT with the stamina.  His athleticism was on display tonight.  Gonna be lit when he and Steveson meet up.  Could have 2 Indiana boys winning their first national championships this year.

Hold that thought until next Sat after he wrestles Luke Pletcher!  But I agree that he's up there at the top

6 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Hold that thought until next Sat after he wrestles Luke Pletcher!  But I agree that he's up there at the top

And Mitch McKee of Minnesota today not to mention the Big 10 conference championships.

But yes, Lee & Pletcher have both looked like the class of a loaded 141 this year. How tough would 141 be if Yianni wasn't taking an Olympic redshirt?

2 hours ago, SIACfan said:

And Mitch McKee of Minnesota today not to mention the Big 10 conference championships.

But yes, Lee & Pletcher have both looked like the class of a loaded 141 this year. How tough would 141 be if Yianni wasn't taking an Olympic redshirt?

I will do my limb thing again and predict a Lee major over McKee this afternoon. After watching him play with his food in Wisconsin I just don't see anything less than a major.

Compare and contrast last year's dual with Moran to this year's. Last year Lee did not get deep and finish quickly so Moran was able get to his scrambles and score off them. I believe only one of Moran's scores was off his own shot last year. 

Fast forward to this year. Lee's first score was so fast that I missed part of it while blinking. I went to the YouTube video to rewatch. It was a thing of mastery. And by the time Moran got off the mat he was too tired to scramble on poor shots, even though he never saw one of those.

I just dont see anyone, but Pletcher matching up this year. Of course, the contra argument is that you have to give McKee a puncher's chance. He likes to go big against wrestlers who have beaten him. Take last year's NCAA 5th place match for example. While Lee gets the pin it is off of McKee's attempted head pinch that came uncomfortably close to working. Oh, and McKee is jacked.

3 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

I will do my limb thing again and predict a Lee major over McKee this afternoon. After watching him play with his food in Wisconsin I just don't see anything less than a major.

Compare and contrast last year's dual with Moran to this year's. Last year Lee did not get deep and finish quickly so Moran was able get to his scrambles and score off them. I believe only one of Moran's scores was off his own shot last year. 

Fast forward to this year. Lee's first score was so fast that I missed part of it while blinking. I went to the YouTube video to rewatch. It was a thing of mastery. And by the time Moran got off the mat he was too tired to scramble on poor shots, even though he never saw one of those.

I just dont see anyone, but Pletcher matching up this year. Of course, the contra argument is that you have to give McKee a puncher's chance. He likes to go big against wrestlers who have beaten him. Take last year's NCAA 5th place match for example. While Lee gets the pin it is off of McKee's attempted head pinch that came uncomfortably close to working. Oh, and McKee is jacked.

Do I get partial credit? McKee almost pulled off that head pinch and got pinned instead. 

Lee PINS McKee in the first period! Next Saturday is Pletcher/Lee #1 versus #2

Mason Lee PINS Cassisoppi (SP?)

Chad Red PINS Indiana kid.. 

Brayton Lee wins in OT versus Penn State

Lucas Davison loses 9-14 to Kollin Moore of Ohio State

Garret People loses to Seth Gross 2-13

Drew Hughes loses to Evan Wick 2-10

LOTS OF INDIANA STUDS IN ACTION !