Hoosiers in College 2019-2020 Results

10 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I completely get what you are saying and you may be right.  I don't think using Mendez is a fair comparison though because these college guys are much closer to each other where Mendez far outpaces the field.  I just wonder if a 3 in the loss column doesn't subconsciously affect decisions when essentially splitting hairs.  Ranking seems black and white, but if it were, everyone would rank the same.

Not saying I'm right, just thinking aloud....   I should think less, but it's an issue I have. :)

One more thought to try to illuminate what I've been arguing for: if Sasso had beaten only Lugo before a new rankings, wouldn't that automatically have pushed Lee to #2 and Sasso to #3 because it would have been a neat and tidy Lewallen over Lee over Sasso over Lugo over O'Connor with a random DQ in the mix? 

If we'd had #2 Lee and #3 Sasso in place before Sasso-Lee II, how does Lee losing to Sasso drop him to #4 or #6 when he's still got the win over Sasso in his pocket? It wouldn't have. He'd have dropped only to #3 almost certainly. But because he started out at #4 or #5 and both Sasso wins happened in a rankings period, they overthought things compared to how rankings logic usually works.

1 minute ago, maligned said:

One more thought to try to illuminate what I've been arguing for: if Sasso had beaten only Lugo before a new rankings, wouldn't that automatically have pushed Lee to #2 and Sasso to #3 because it would have been a neat and tidy Lewallen over Lee over Sasso over Lugo over O'Connor with a random DQ in the mix? 

If we'd had #2 Lee and #3 Sasso in place before Sasso-Lee II, how does Lee losing to Sasso drop him to #4 or #6 when he's still got the win over Sasso in his pocket? It wouldn't have. He'd have dropped only to #3 almost certainly. But because he started out at #4 or #5 and both Sasso wins happened in a rankings period, they overthought things compared to how rankings logic usually works.

That I agree with 100%!  I think very logically, but have little faith in others to do the same.  That doesn't mean I'm always right or that others are always wrong, but that approach makes me think through all possibilities for situations, rather than just what seems obvious to me.  So I question a lot.  It irritates people sometimes and people assume if I question something, that I believe in that side of things or that they are wrong.  When in reality I'm just trying to see how someone else came up with  different conclusion.  

5 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

That I agree with 100%!  I think very logically, but have little faith in others to do the same.  That doesn't mean I'm always right or that others are always wrong, but that approach makes me think through all possibilities for situations, rather than just what seems obvious to me.  So I question a lot.  It irritates people sometimes and people assume if I question something, that I believe in that side of things or that they are wrong.  When in reality I'm just trying to see how someone else came up with  different conclusion.  

This has to go on your IndiaMat profile somewhere ...heck it's my new credo. LOL..to stay on topic, of which I know you're a fan...I concur with Lee being under ranked. 

Edited by UncleJimmy

On 1/29/2020 at 3:17 PM, maligned said:

I really don't think rankers care about DQ losses. I mean, using an in-state example: if Mendez slams the #20 kid and loses, plus takes an out-of-state loss, will he be ranked behind an undefeated kid? No. Because rankers want their rankings to look and feel logical, not contrived. He doesn't fall unless by a genuine in-state loss. It's different with seeding where the loss was by rule a penalty of sorts that has to be considered.

He did something illegal twisting on his knee, but I didn't see it. I've only read bare bones reports to know he didn't continue that match, and I researched and found he hasn't wrestled since.

Hoffman of Lehigh wrestled for the first time tonight since Lee's illegal knee thing on him.

Interesting night in the Big Ten....

First, the Iowa - Penn State was a helluva dual, definitely worth watching!  Iowa won 19-17.  Nick Lee, Indiana's lone representative dominated Carter Happel with a 20-5 TF after nearly having him stuck in the 1st period.

IU lost its dual with Wisconsin, but Graham Rooks got a nice 4-3 win over Cole Martin, avenging a major decision loss at the Midlands.  Cayden Rooks dropped a 12-4 major decision to former National Champ Seth Gross.   I haven't seen the match, but at first glance that seems like a good result for Cayden.  Diego Lemley, Nick Willham and Jake Kleimola took losses in the dual.

At Purdue, Brayton Lee got a SV1, 7-5 dec over Griffin Patriot in a match where he was behind until late.  Dylan Lydy won by major decision 14-4 over Devin Skatzka and Thomas Penola had some tough sledding in dealing with Gabe Steveson, losing by TF 20-5.

Michigan State dropped its dual with Illinois.  Garrett Pepple lost a 7-3 dec to Travis Piotrowski and Drew Hughes dropped a 9-2 dec to Dan Braunagel.

10 minutes ago, maligned said:

Hoffman of Lehigh wrestled for the first time tonight since Lee's illegal knee thing on him.

Has anyone seen that match and what happened?   Someone tonight said it was similar to what RBY did to DeSanto tonight, but I didn't see anything illegal.  

A few other recent results from former Hoosier HS wrestlers:

Christian Mejia dropped a 4-2 dec in McKendree's dual with Lindenwood
Jose Diaz fell 7-5 in Franklin & Marshall's dual with Bucknell

Kris Rumph won 4-2 in Wartburg's dual with Coe College.  Kobe Woods fell 3-1 in the same dual.

Blake Glogouski lost by fall in Lake Erie's dual with Wisconsin-Parkside

Wabash won their dual with Kentucky Weslyan in a 42-0 squeaker...

In NAIA action....

Tristan Sellmer and Jaden Sonner both lost by fall in Campbellville's (KY) dual with Thomas More

Edited by SWINfan

10 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Has anyone seen that match and what happened?   Someone tonight said it was similar to what RBY did to DeSanto tonight, but I didn't see anything illegal.  

I didn't see the Lee-Hoffman match, but the DeSanto-RBY match last night should have been stopped as potentially dangerous. But it happened so fast that it's hard to blame the officials. From what I remember the head official was on the opposite side & thus out of position to see the knee being bent sideways. I suppose that is why they have a second official, but I don't believe he was in great position to see it either. At the moment it happened, as I remember, the officials were only about 90 degrees apart instead of the preferred 180. And as I already stated it happened really fast.

Hope DeSanto is not done for the year.

10 hours ago, SWINfan said:

First, the Iowa - Penn State was a helluva dual, definitely worth watching!  Iowa won 19-17.  Nick Lee, Indiana's lone representative dominated Carter Happel with a 20-5 TF after nearly having him stuck in the 1st period.

IU lost its dual with Wisconsin, but Graham Rooks got a nice 4-3 win over Cole Martin, avenging a major decision loss at the Midlands.  Cayden Rooks dropped a 12-4 major decision to former National Champ Seth Gross.   I haven't seen the match, but at first glance that seems like a good result for Cayden.  Diego Lemley, Nick Willham and Jake Kleimola took losses in the dual.

At Purdue, Brayton Lee got a SV1, 7-5 dec over Griffin Patriot in a match where he was behind until late.  Dylan Lydy won by major decision 14-4 over Devin Skatzka and Thomas Penola had some tough sledding in dealing with Gabe Steveson, losing by TF 20-5.

Michigan State dropped its dual with Illinois.  Garrett Pepple lost a 7-3 dec to Travis Piotrowski and Drew Hughes dropped a 9-2 dec to Dan Braunagel.

Nick, once again, looked very impressive.

Brayton had his hands full with Parriot, but looked confident & poised in the end. I particularly liked that he waived off the challenge brick at the end of the 3rd wanting to go to SV.

5 minutes ago, IU89 said:

“Hope DeSanto is not done for the year.“

DeSanto was jumping around, with no wrap or brace on his knee, during the 197 and 285 matches. His feelings might be hurt, but he’s just fine. 

I watched Tom Brands press conference after the match last night and he intimated the same thing.  Said something to the effect that its possible he's never been hurt like that and that they couldn't get him to calm down.  I definitely felt he was suggesting it wasn't that bad and hoped he could have gutted it out.  It looked like during the match Brands was trying to get him to keep going.  After the 2nd time, DeSanto was laying on the ground and immediately said "I can't" and Brands reaction was not maybe one where a coach thought he may have just lost one of his top wrestlers.  

I'm reading into things a bit, but wondered if this were the case before I heard the press conference.  In all honesty, I was kind of thrown by Brands comments.  While I get them, they don't protect his wrestler.  If I were a wrestler, I'd rather he keep those feelings in house.  

Tom Brands Press Conference

7 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I watched Tom Brands press conference after the match last night and he intimated the same thing.  Said something to the effect that its possible he's never been hurt like that and that they couldn't get him to calm down.  I definitely felt he was suggesting it wasn't that bad and hoped he could have gutted it out.  It looked like during the match Brands was trying to get him to keep going.  After the 2nd time, DeSanto was laying on the ground and immediately said "I can't" and Brands reaction was not maybe one where a coach thought he may have just lost one of his top wrestlers.  

I'm reading into things a bit, but wondered if this were the case before I heard the press conference.  In all honesty, I was kind of thrown by Brands comments.  While I get them, they don't protect his wrestler.  If I were a wrestler, I'd rather he keep those feelings in house.  

Tom Brands Press Conference

Tom Brands mentor once got his own wrestler hit for stalling.. something tells me the Brands are all business lol

On 1/31/2020 at 11:09 PM, SWINfan said:

Edit: HAD him stuck. It's not Nick Lee's fault the ref was out of position. It was funny to listen to the Flo audio and hear Ben Askren yelling "What is that ref doing? He was pinned. Nick Lee just got Carvered."

Here is a summary of recent matches from some of the DI guys and a look to what's ahead this weekend....

IU and Purdue both lost duals to Minnesota and Wisconsin at home.

- #4 Dylan Lydy got 2 wins, highlighted by a 14-4 Major over #8 Devin Skatzka

- #14 Graham Rooks had a nice 4-3 win over Cole Martin, avenging an earlier major dec loss.  Graham lost to Brayton Lee 5-2

- Cayden Rooks fell 12-4 to #1 Seth Gross and beat Bob Dryden of Minnesota 5-3 SV2

- Thomas Penola had a rough weekend, losing by fall to #1 Gable Steveson and by DQ to #5 Trent Hilger (anyone have info on the DQ?)

- #2 Nick Lee was dominant and hushed 16,000 in Hawkeye Arena beating Carter Happel by TF, 20-5

- #6 Brayton Lee didn't have it so easy, but came away with a 7-5 SV1 win over Griffin Parriott and a 5-2 win over Graham Rooks.

- #2 Mason Parris won the dual for Michigan over Rutgers with a 1st period fall over Alex Esposito.  Rutgers led the dual 16-15 coming into the final match at 285.  The match was held at Madison Square Garden in a wrestling/basketball doubleheader.  

- #8 Chad Red had another rough day dropping a 10-1 major dec to Luke Pletcher

- #7 Drew Hildebrandt had a nice weekend picking up wins in duals vs. Ohio and Cleveland State

- #20 Cael McCormick picked up a nice 7-3 win over Lehigh's Brian Meyer

- #13 Ben Harvey had no such luck losing by fall to Lehigh's Jordan Kutler

- Garrett Pepple dropped decisions to #7 Travis Piotrowski of Illinois and Paul Glynn of Iowa
- #17 Lucas Davidson picked up a 5-0 dec win over Illinois' Matt Wroblewski

At the Edinboro Open:

- Hunter Watts finished 4th
- Jordan Slivka finished 3rd

Note: Intermat rankings were used

Not sure when he broke into the rankings, but I noticed Graham Rooks was #14 this week and Cael McCormick at #20.  

Love seeing more Indiana guys ranked!

Edited by SWINfan

5 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Here is a summary of recent matches from some of the DI guys and a look to what's ahead this weekend....

IU and Purdue both lost duals to Minnesota and Wisconsin at home.

- #4 Dylan Lydy got 2 wins, highlighted by a 14-4 Major over #8 Devin Skatzka

- #14 Graham Rooks had a nice 4-3 win over Cole Martin, avenging an earlier major dec loss.  Graham lost to Brayton Lee 5-2

- Cayden Rooks fell 12-4 to #1 Seth Gross and beat Bob Dryden of Minnesota 5-3 SV2

- Thomas Penola had a rough weekend, losing by fall to #1 Gable Steveson and by DQ to #5 Trent Hilger (anyone have info on the DQ?)

- #2 Nick Lee was dominant and hushed 16,000 in Hawkeye Arena beating Carter Happel by TF, 20-5

- #6 Brayton Lee didn't have it so easy, but came away with a 7-5 SV1 win over Griffin Parriott and a 5-2 win over Graham Rooks.

- #2 Mason Parris won the dual for Michigan over Rutgers with a 1st period fall over Alex Esposito.  Rutgers led the dual 16-15 coming into the final match at 285.  The match was held at Madison Square Garden in a wrestling/basketball doubleheader.  

- #8 Chad Red had another rough day dropping a 10-1 major dec to Luke Pletcher

- #7 Drew Hildebrandt had a nice weekend picking up wins in duals vs. Ohio and Cleveland State

- #20 Cael McCormick picked up a nice 7-3 win over Lehigh's Brian Meyer

- #13 Ben Harvey had no such luck losing by fall to Lehigh's Jordan Kutler

At the Edinboro Open:

- Hunter Watts finished 4th
- Jordan Slivka finished 3rd

Note: Intermat rankings were used

Not sure when he broke into the rankings, but I noticed Graham Rooks was #14 this week and Cael McCormick at #20.  

Love seeing more Indiana guys ranked!

Two head butts in the span of a few seconds. Hilger went into the locker room after the second (I assume to be assessed for a concussion). When he returned he took off his headgear and said he could not go. So Penola was DQ'd and Hilger got his arm raised. There is some doubt if Hilger can wrestle this week. I believe if he is in the concussion protocol it is a minimum of 7 days before he can wrestle, but I am not 100% on that.

Edited by wrestlenewbie
misspelling

Upcoming this Weekend (likely matches)

- Penn State has a big weekend coming up with matches against Wisconsin (BTN) and Minnesota.  #2 Nick Lee should face #7 Tristin 
Martin and #4 Mitch McKee.  in a fantasy world, how fun would it be if Seth Gross bumped up Friday night to face Nick and Nick bumped up to face Brayton Lee on Sunday?  

- It's Chad Red's turn for a homecoming as Nebraska visits Purdue and Indiana this weekend.  Chad will be favored in both matches.
- #4 Dylan Lydy vs. Mikey Labriola should be the highlight of their dual.  Lydy holds a 3-2 edge in matches with Labriola with 2 wins coming in 2017 and 2 losses coming last March before Lydy's 3-1 SV1 win on Dec 6 this season.

- #2 Mason Parris has a huge match on Saturday facing Iowa's #3 Tony Cassioppi
- #17 Lucas Davidson will have a tough test facing #1 Kollin Moore of Ohio State on Sunday.  Northwestern also faces Michigan State Fri.

- The Rooks brothers should have tough matches facing Ridge Lovett (Cayden) and Collin Purinton (Graham) in their dual with Nebraska

Edited by SWINfan

2 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Upcoming this Weekend (likely matches)

- Penn State has a big weekend coming up with matches against Wisconsin (BTN) and Minnesota.  #2 Nick Lee should face #7 Tristin 
Martin and #4 Mitch McKee.  in a fantasy world, how fun would it be if Seth Gross bumped up Friday night to face Nick and Nick bumped up to face Brayton Lee on Sunday?  

- It's Chad Red's turn for a homecoming as Nebraska visits Purdue and Indiana this weekend.  Chad will be favored in both matches.
- #4 Dylan Lydy vs. Mikey Labriola should be the highlight of their dual.  Lydy holds a 3-2 edge in matches with Labriola with 2 wins coming in 2017 and 2 losses coming last March before Lydy's 3-1 SV1 win on Dec 6 this season.

- #2 Mason Parris has a huge match on Saturday facing Iowa's #3 Tony Cassioppi
- #17 Lucas Davidson will have a tough test facing #1 Kollin Moore of Ohio State on Sunday.  Northwestern also faces Michigan State Fri.

Mason Parris v Big Tony should be a really good one. After Steveson sat out the Michigan dual this is Parris' chance to really shine against a top guy. It looks like Cassioppi is one of those guys who loves/lives for the big moment.

2 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Mason Parris v Big Tony should be a really good one. After Steveson sat out the Michigan dual this is Parris' chance to really shine against a top guy. It looks like Cassioppi is one of those guys who loves/lives for the big moment.

I'm not sure how much history the two have, but i remember they met in a FS tournament a couple of years ago and Cassioppi took it to Mason, winning by TF, I believe.  Should be a great match.  That dual is on BTN Saturday night.

1 hour ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Two head butts in the span of a few seconds. Hilger went into the locker room after the second (I assume to be assessed for a concussion). When he returned he took off his headgear and said he could not go. So Penola was DQ'd and Hilger got his arm raised. There is some doubt if Hilger can wrestle this week. I believe if he is in the concussion protocol it is a minimum of 7 days before he can wrestle, but I am not 100% on that.

Just some clarification, it was Wisconsin's trainer that ruled Hilger out after the concussion evaluation. He is seen going to Wisconsin's coach & then turning to the score table & signally that Hilger was a no go.

47 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I'm not sure how much history the two have, but i remember they met in a FS tournament a couple of years ago and Cassioppi took it to Mason, winning by TF, I believe.  Should be a great match.  That dual is on BTN Saturday night.

Mason is a different animal this year just from last year, but Cassioppi will be his biggest test this year by far. Cassioppi is the real deal.

This should be one heck of a match. Steveson, Parris & Cassioppi are far & away better than the rest of the 285 lb class with Cassar out.

On 2/1/2020 at 12:25 AM, SWINfan said:

A few other recent results from former Hoosier HS wrestlers:

Christian Mejia dropped a 4-2 dec in McKendree's dual with Lindenwood
Jose Diaz fell 7-5 in Franklin & Marshall's dual with Bucknell

Kris Rumph won 4-2 in Wartburg's dual with Coe College.  Kobe Woods fell 3-1 in the same dual.

Blake Glogouski lost by fall in Lake Erie's dual with Wisconsin-Parkside

Wabash won their dual with Kentucky Weslyan in a 42-0 squeaker...

In NAIA action....

Tristan Sellmer and Jaden Sonner both lost by fall in Campbellville's (KY) dual with Thomas More

In NAIA action at that same dual Chandler Woenker #165 from ( FW Luers) and Ashton Mutuwa HWT  (Hanover Central) both at Campbellsville University (KY) won by pin and are having really good seasons!

4 hours ago, Bruins2013 said:

In NAIA action at that same dual Chandler Woenker #165 from ( FW Luers) and Ashton Mutuwa HWT  (Hanover Central) both at Campbellsville University (KY) won by pin and are having really good seasons!

Awesome!  Keep the updates coming please.

Lots of our top high schoolers from the last few years will be in action at the UIndy open (Sunday). Personally will be a middle school state. Would be fun to go watch some of our top guys from the last few years wrestle In the same tourney. 

Edited by Mattyb