Hoosiers in College 2019-2020 Results

Lee puts on an absolute clinic against Red. 9-1 and it wasn't that close.

Lee hits an outside single in the first and rides out the period.

In the second Red starts on top. Lee gets to his feet and Red takes a stall after not returning to the mat. On the re-start Lee gets the quick escape to preserve riding time. They end the period in neutral.

In the third Lee hits another quick single and does a great imitation of a back pack. With riding time locked and a 6-0 lead Lee works a bit for the turn before finally cutting Red to try for the major. And he gets it pretty quick as Red looks a bit gassed. They end the match on the mat with Lee still riding.

Wow, wow, wow.

20 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Lee puts on an absolute clinic against Red. 9-1 and it wasn't that close.

Lee hits an outside single in the first and rides out the period.

In the second Red starts on top. Lee gets to his feet and Red takes a stall after not returning to the mat. On the re-start Lee gets the quick escape to preserve riding time. They end the period in neutral.

In the third Lee hits another quick single and does a great imitation of a back pack. With riding time locked and a 6-0 lead Lee works a bit for the turn before finally cutting Red to try for the major. And he gets it pretty quick as Red looks a bit gassed. They end the match on the mat with Lee still riding.

Wow, wow, wow.

Good synopsis except Lee got a takedown in the 2nd period as well (after his escape) with that period ending with Lee on top.

Red's only point was when Lee let him up in the 3rd so he could get the last takedown for the major.

2 hours ago, SIACfan said:

Good synopsis except Lee got a takedown in the 2nd period as well (after his escape) with that period ending with Lee on top.

Red's only point was when Lee let him up in the 3rd so he could get the last takedown for the major.

Good point. I guess I was too excited when typing. I also missed that Red got hit with the second stall in the third to make it 6-0. Two takedowns, one escape, and two stalls gets you to 6. 

6 hours ago, SIACfan said:

That's one of reasons I love watching Penn State wrestle.  I know they aren't the only ones, but the fact they are always looking to score and get bonus points is a big part of why they've won 8 of 9 National Titles.  

Nick could have easily rode Chad out and chalked up a nice dominating 7-0 win.  At that point, there was no way Red was going to escape bottom.  But with :48 left, Nick cut him to go for the major decision and got the takedown with time to spare.  They've been doing it for years now and it's fun to watch.

7 hours ago, SWINfan said:

That's one of reasons I love watching Penn State wrestle.  I know they aren't the only ones, but the fact they are always looking to score and get bonus points is a big part of why they've won 8 of 9 National Titles.  

Nick could have easily rode Chad out and chalked up a nice dominating 7-0 win.  At that point, there was no way Red was going to escape bottom.  But with :48 left, Nick cut him to go for the major decision and got the takedown with time to spare.  They've been doing it for years now and it's fun to watch.

Not trying to be confrontational, but I believe pretty much every team/wrestler in the country who was up 6-0 with riding time secured would cut their opponent in an effort to get the major.

One could speculate that because Penn State has had the studs to win 8 of 9 titles is a big part of why they are often in position to go after those bonus points. But Cael Sanderson is a big part of why those studs all seem to maximize their potential as well.

Maybe I have simply become a Penn State/Cael Sanderson fan, but isn't Iowa & the Brands brothers aggressive/in-your-face style a little hard to take? Just as most Penn State wrestlers take on Sanderson's calm & confident demeanor, many of Iowa's wrestlers seem to adopt Brand's cocky/abrasive personality.

I'm not really trying to make this an Iowa bash thread. They have one stacked team this year, & I recognize what they have accomplished & the quality program they have built. But to me they come off coarse & even annoying at times.

Lots of Hoosiers in action

Purdue over Rutgers 20-18

Michigan loses to Illinois but Mason Parris wins 12-5 

Nebraska over MSU. Drew Hughes wins by pin and Chad Red wins by pin! Garret People loses 0-5.

Edited by navy80

B.Lee loses to Sasso 4-2..was 2-2 going into 3rd and lee chose neutral...Sasso is so hard to takedown..I wonder why he didn't choose down? Maybe their past matches he's not had success on bottom?  Sasso had unreal weekend beating #1 Lugo and #5 Lee.

17 hours ago, SIACfan said:

Not trying to be confrontational, but I believe pretty much every team/wrestler in the country who was up 6-0 with riding time secured would cut their opponent in an effort to get the major.

One could speculate that because Penn State has had the studs to win 8 of 9 titles is a big part of why they are often in position to go after those bonus points. But Cael Sanderson is a big part of why those studs all seem to maximize their potential as well.

Maybe I have simply become a Penn State/Cael Sanderson fan, but isn't Iowa & the Brands brothers aggressive/in-your-face style a little hard to take? Just as most Penn State wrestlers take on Sanderson's calm & confident demeanor, many of Iowa's wrestlers seem to adopt Brand's cocky/abrasive personality.

I'm not really trying to make this an Iowa bash thread. They have one stacked team this year, & I recognize what they have accomplished & the quality program they have built. But to me they come off coarse & even annoying at times.

We can agree to disagree on this one.  I watch a lot of college wrestling and see a lot of guys cruise to 5-1 wins, for example.  Hell, look at Luke Pletcher the past few years.  Are you telling me he wasn't talented enough to win big (like he is this year) instead of winning boring 3-1 matches all the time.  There are many teams that aren't cutting guys in matches and protecting the win instead.  It's not always a team by team thing.  Some guys just have different styles.  It just seems to me Penn State is one of those teams that the focus on scoring bonus points is part of the culture, not just a goal when it fits.  I do agree that having the talent to do that helps.

And as far as being confrontational, go for it!  I have no problem with discussing differing opinions.  Just know i have a tendency to argue mine passionately at times.  Ha Ha

Edited by SWINfan

8 hours ago, SWINfan said:

We can agree to disagree on this one.  I watch a lot of college wrestling and see a lot of guys cruise to 5-1 wins, for example.  Hell, look at Luke Pletcher the past few years.  Are you telling me he wasn't talented enough to win big (like he is this year) instead of winning boring 3-1 matches all the time.  There are many teams that aren't cutting guys in matches and protecting the win instead.  It's not always a team by team thing.  Some guys just have different styles.  It just seems to me Penn State is one of those teams that the focus on scoring bonus points is part of the culture, not just a goal when it fits.  I do agree that having the talent to do that helps.

And as far as being confrontational, go for it!  I have no problem with discussing differing opinions.  Just know i have a tendency to argue mine passionately at times.  Ha Ha

I don't think our opinions are that different, but I was specifically speaking of the situation Nick was in Friday night. Up 6-0 with riding time locked, he was only 1 point away from a major thus one cut & takedown. Most wrestlers/teams are going to then cut their opponent in an attempt to get the major in that spot.

In Pletcher's case, is it he was cruising in past seasons or that he has improved this season? Part of it was certainly his style in past years, but many college wrestlers do improve & evolve over their careers.

And your 5-1 cruise win example. How did they get to that score? Was it a hard fought match with a couple of scrambles that could have gone either way with two contested escapes? Is riding time in play? If there is no riding time then the wrestler with the lead has to cut & takedown his opponent 4 times to reach the major. If the match has been a tightly contested battle then he is risking a loss by cutting him.

I do believe you have a decent point regarding the Penn State program. It is Sanderson's style to have his wrestlers always thinking bonus points. But he has been blessed with a lot of studs over the years that are capable of producing those bonus point victories.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:48 PM, FCFIGHTER170 said:

B.Lee loses to Sasso 4-2..was 2-2 going into 3rd and lee chose neutral...Sasso is so hard to takedown..I wonder why he didn't choose down? Maybe their past matches he's not had success on bottom?  Sasso had unreal weekend beating #1 Lugo and #5 Lee.

It's possible a big part of why Brayton went out so hard early AND why he may have chosen neutral late was the fact that Minnesota were only 6 down in the dual and a fall would have tied it up. He may have taken one for the team with his tactics and position choice. If he hadn't invested so much energy into so many back-to-back attacks in the first couple minutes, he may have had some finishing juice left in the tank late. Interested to see how this one goes again if it happens at Big 10s. 

With new rankings now out, Brayton has essentially only lost to #1 and #2. With the 1-1 record vs. #2, there's an argument he should be #3.

If we're only considering this year's results, I'm not sure what wins by guys ranked #'s 3, 4 or 5 above him are pushing them up the ladder when he has the win over #2 and they all have at least a loss:

#1 Lewallen undefeated, win over Lee

#2 Sasso loss to Lee

#3 Lugo loss to #2 Sasso, win over #4 O'Connor

#4 O'Connor loss to Lugo

#5 Mauller loss to unranked guy

#6 Lee win over #2 Sasso, losses to #1 Lewallen and #2 Sasso

If you only look at the above and value head to head at all, shouldn't Lee be 3rd?

Edited by maligned

6 hours ago, maligned said:

It's possible a big part of why Brayton went out so hard early AND why he may have chosen neutral late was the fact that Minnesota were only 6 down in the dual and a fall would have tied it up. He may have taken one for the team with his tactics and position choice. If he hadn't invested so much energy into so many back-to-back attacks in the first couple minutes, he may have had some finishing juice left in the tank late. Interested to see how this one goes again if it happens at Big 10s. 

With new rankings now out, Brayton has essentially only lost to #1 and #2. With the 1-1 record vs. #2, there's an argument he should be #3.

If we're only considering this year's results, I'm not sure what wins by guys ranked #'s 3, 4 or 5 above him are pushing them up the ladder when he has the win over #2 and they all have at least a loss:

#2 Sasso loss to Lee

#4 O'Connor loss to Lugo

If you only look at the above and value head to head at all, shouldn't Lee be 3rd?

Good assessment..Imho lee should be 4th and lugo 3 only because he's only got 1 loss but your wrestling math is correct..Boo looks like the favorite 4sho especially after seeing how in control he ws in the Lee match.. That's gonna be a fun weight to watch unfold. 

1 minute ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Good assessment..Imho lee should be 4th and lugo 3 only because he's only got 1 loss but your wrestling math is correct..Boo looks like the favorite 4sho especially after seeing how in control he ws in the Lee match.. That's gonna be a fun weight to watch unfold. 

Yeah, I'm not necessarily saying he's the 3rd best guy, but usually they basically disregard losses to guys above you. If that's the case, you disregard the Lewallen loss and see that Lee is 1-1 against Sasso and Lugo is 0-1. In my book, 1-1 is better than 0-1 and would usually put him higher. I think it's a bit of a situation where they just shifted Sasso up and didn't reconsider how the big picture now looks since it would mean re-slotting Lee up a couple spots after a loss.

15 minutes ago, maligned said:

Yeah, I'm not necessarily saying he's the 3rd best guy, but usually they basically disregard losses to guys above you. If that's the case, you disregard the Lewallen loss and see that Lee is 1-1 against Sasso and Lugo is 0-1. In my book, 1-1 is better than 0-1 and would usually put him higher. I think it's a bit of a situation where they just shifted Sasso up and didn't reconsider how the big picture now looks since it would mean re-slotting Lee up a couple spots after a loss.

That's why we love the tournament because we'll find out exactly how good everybody is! So much better than that bcs crap! Plus March Madness is like my Christmas, my birthday always fall on the weekend of the NCAAs for wrestling (march 19th) and the bracket pools I'm in for basketball (I know the B word is a cuss word)  adds to the fun.. Never has indiana had so many College guys performing at such a high level EVERY LEVEL from NAIA TO D1 and i'm so excited.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

4 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

That's why we love the tournament because we'll find out exactly how good everybody is! So much better than that bcs crap! Plus March Madness is like my Christmas, my birthday always fall on the weekend of the NCAAs for wrestling (march 19th) and the bracket pools I'm in for basketball (I know the B word is a cuss word)  adds to the fun.. Never has indiana had so many College guys performing at such a high level EVERY LEVEL from NAIA TO D1 and i'm so excited.

Yeah, where I live, NCAAs start Thursday at 5pm and March Madness at 6pm. My wife has been incredibly generous to hang with our kids and I just hide out from like 5pm to 2am my time.

1 minute ago, maligned said:

Yeah, where I live, NCAAs start Thursday at 5pm and March Madness at 6pm. My wife has been incredibly generous to hang with our kids and I just hide out from like 5pm to 2am my time.

usually have with few kids on Thursdays where I train them in their sweet wrestling set up In their pole barn .. looks like I'll def be turning on that TV they got during practice 🤣🤣

7 hours ago, maligned said:

#2 Sasso loss to Lee

#4 O'Connor loss to Lugo

You almost got your wish on Flo.

Their 149 rankings are:

1. Lewallen

2. Sasso

3. Lugo

4. Lee

5. O'Connor

6. Mauller

They knocked O'Connor from 2 to 5 because of both his loss to Lugo and his best win being over their number 8 wrestler, Kizhan Clarke. They admit Lee has the better overall resume, but by the slimmest of margins.

If you have direcTV and you hit the info button to bring up the left side menu at the bottom it has am option called "team pages" and if aselect it, it brings you to a screen where it shows "Wrestling" and it searches for all collegiate matches. January and February are clearly prime months with the ACC Network, Big 10, and ESPN2 being the only programming homes at the moment. But seeing even the ACC dip into this market is cool, and the big 12 gets some time with Oklahoma State/Oklahoma both getting some air on ESPN. I believe Oklahoma battles Northern Iowa on ESPN 2 this weekend, and I hope they get their act together and form a separate network but the big 12 is no doubt handcuffed by their biggest draw (Texas) having their own network. No Texas teams have wrestling for that matter. Any other states have no division 1 teams? The Citadel gives South Carolina one but there are not a ton of wrestling schools in the south. NC and VA are not the dirty either.

None in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky...which of those six states has the strongest high school wrestling support?

Edited by Silvertone1696

11 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Don't forget Brayton has the 3rd loss, the DQ to Jimmy Hoffman from Lehigh....

Yes. Unfortunate, but zero impact in terms of media rankings typically. He's got 2 losses in the eyes of rankers. There may be an issue with seeding though down the road because of the impact on RPI and other metrics used at NCAAs. 

I didn't hear the updated prospectus for Hoffman, but he hasn't wrestled since that match. Disappointing scenario for two really tough wrestlers. 

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Yes. Unfortunate, but zero impact in terms of media rankings typically. He's got 2 losses in the eyes of rankers. There may be an issue with seeding though down the road because of the impact on RPI and other metrics used at NCAAs. 

I didn't hear the updated prospectus for Hoffman, but he hasn't wrestled since that match. Disappointing scenario for two really tough wrestlers. 

You don't think that even subconsciously the 3rd loss has an effect with the rankers? Maybe not....

Also, what was the deal with that DQ, I don't recall?  Was it a slam/return to mat?

5 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

You don't think that even subconsciously the 3rd loss has an effect with the rankers? Maybe not....

Also, what was the deal with that DQ, I don't recall?  Was it a slam/return to mat?

I really don't think rankers care about DQ losses. I mean, using an in-state example: if Mendez slams the #20 kid and loses, plus takes an out-of-state loss, will he be ranked behind an undefeated kid? No. Because rankers want their rankings to look and feel logical, not contrived. He doesn't fall unless by a genuine in-state loss. It's different with seeding where the loss was by rule a penalty of sorts that has to be considered.

He did something illegal twisting on his knee, but I didn't see it. I've only read bare bones reports to know he didn't continue that match, and I researched and found he hasn't wrestled since.

8 minutes ago, maligned said:

I really don't think rankers care about DQ losses. I mean, using an in-state example: if Mendez slams the #20 kid and loses, plus takes an out-of-state loss, will he be ranked behind an undefeated kid? No. Because rankers want their rankings to look and feel logical, not contrived. He doesn't fall unless by a genuine in-state loss. It's different with seeding where the loss was by rule a penalty of sorts that has to be considered.

He did something illegal twisting on his knee, but I didn't see it. I've only read bare bones reports to know he didn't continue that match, and I researched and found he hasn't wrestled since.

I completely get what you are saying and you may be right.  I don't think using Mendez is a fair comparison though because these college guys are much closer to each other where Mendez far outpaces the field.  I just wonder if a 3 in the loss column doesn't subconsciously affect decisions when essentially splitting hairs.  Ranking seems black and white, but if it were, everyone would rank the same.

Not saying I'm right, just thinking aloud....   I should think less, but it's an issue I have. :)

4 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I don't think using Mendez is a fair comparison though because these college guys are much closer to each other where Mendez far outpaces the field. 

Fair point. I suppose the fact that InterMat has Brayton down at #6 behind 1-loss Mauller and O'Connor and Flo has him at #4 ahead of those guys tells us there's disagreement as to what to do with the "3".