Hoosiers in College 2019-2020 Results

CJ Red lost a tough match to Tristan Moran of Wisconsin Sunday.

Red got an early 1st period take down & rode Moran for 2+ minutes for a 2-0 lead. He choose down in the 2nd & got an quick escape to go up 3-0. He got in on Moran's legs late in the 2nd, but Moran was able to cut the corner & caught Red in a cradle for 2 & 2 to grab the lead 4-3 right at the end of the 2nd. Moran then choose down in the 3rd & got the escape to go up 5-3. Again red got in on his legs near the end of the match but Moran was once again able to cut the corner & catch Red in the same cradle for 2 & 2 again to win.

Edited by SIACfan

On 1/8/2020 at 7:31 PM, IU89 said:

Nick will be the returning NCAA Champion at 141 next year. He won’t redshirt. 

I hope you are right & he has looked extremely good this year, but the real season is just getting started.

Nick will see 5 top 10 wrestlers in the next 7 duals:

Red Nebraska 1-24-2020

Max Murin Iowa 1-31-2020

Tristan Moran Wis 2-7-2020

Mitch McKee Minn 2-9-2020

Luke Pletcher OSU 2-15-2020

Those are all in the next 5 weekends. That is one tough schedule, but I'm guessing Nick is feeling like a kid in a candy store.

Edited by SIACfan

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

I hope you are right & he has looked extremely good this year, but the real season is just getting started.

Nick will see 5 top 10 wrestlers in the next 7 duals:

Red Nebraska 1-24-2020

Max Murin Iowa 1-31-2020

Tristan Moran Wis 2-7-2020

Mitch McKee Minn 2-9-2020

Luke Pletcher OSU 2-15-2020

Those are all in the next 5 weekends. That is one tough schedule, but I'm guessing Nick is feeling like a kid in a candy store.

Unless it is Eierman on 1/31.

He tweeted a teasing message that could, maybe, possibly imply he will pull his red shirt. Hard to know what he meant by it, but since Lee ruined his chance to qualify for the Olympic trials at Sr. Nationals he only has two remaining avenues to qualify; win the Last Chance qualifier, or win the NCAA title. Top 2 at Last Chance qualify and no one who has already qualified is allowed to enter (unlike at Sr. Nationals), so you would think he stands a strong chance there, but if you are a gambling man you have to think in terms of odds. It has to help his odds to try both avenues to qualify. That it also aligns with Iowas "all in this year" philosophy also increases the probability it happens. We don't know how Murin is doing against him in the room, though. If Murin is winning in the room I could not see the Brands agreeing to pull the shirt.

Disclaimer: Not sure if this is the time or place for this, so let me know if you don't want this kind of "not Indiana, but Indiana adjacent" content.

I brought up the other day that Eierman could possibly take Murin's spot at 141 for Iowa. Flo posted the following pro / con article today. I know not everyone has access (though I don't think this is behind the firewall, let me know if I am wrong), but here is the link: 

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6650331-should-iowa-pull-jaydin-eiermans-redshirt

8 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Disclaimer: Not sure if this is the time or place for this, so let me know if you don't want this kind of "not Indiana, but Indiana adjacent" content.

I brought up the other day that Eierman could possibly take Murin's spot at 141 for Iowa. Flo posted the following pro / con article today. I know not everyone has access (though I don't think this is behind the firewall, let me know if I am wrong), but here is the link: 

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6650331-should-iowa-pull-jaydin-eiermans-redshirt

No problem with posting that, other than I don't have a a Flo subscription.  It might be better to do something in its own thread though since this is typically a place to get results.  Might be seen by more people outside of this thread.  But either way, it's news that could be relevant to Nick Lee and Chad Red.

22 hours ago, SWINfan said:

No problem with posting that, other than I don't have a a Flo subscription.  It might be better to do something in its own thread though since this is typically a place to get results.  Might be seen by more people outside of this thread.  But either way, it's news that could be relevant to Nick Lee and Chad Red.

Makes sense. Thank you.

Northwestern takes out IU Friday.....

Michael DeAugustino (Northwestern) over Liam Cronin (Indiana) (Dec 8-6)

Cayden Rooks (Indiana) over Dylan Utterback (Northwestern) (Dec 8-2)

Alexander McKenna (Northwestern) over Eddie Bolivar (Indiana) (Dec 3-1)

Graham Rooks (Indiana) over Yahya Thomas (Northwestern) (TB-1 5-4)

Ryan Deakin (Northwestern) over Fernie Silva (Indiana) (MD 13-3)

Shayne Oster (Northwestern) over Davey Tunon (Indiana) (TF 19-3 6:28)

Jacob Covaciu (Indiana) over Ankhaa Enkhmandakh (Northwestern) (Fall 1:11)

Jack Jessen (Northwestern) over Jake Hinz (Indiana) (Dec 6-1)

Lucas Davison (Northwestern) over Nick Willham (Indiana) (Dec 7-2)

Jake Kleimola (Indiana) over Jack Heyob (Northwestern) (Dec 3-1)
Team Score:

10 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Chad Red handled Max Murin tonight, 6-2.  

Mason Parris vs. Gable Steveson Sunday as well as Nick Lee and Penn State vs. Rutgers.

Chad is a hard wrestler to read. Seems like he plays mental gymnastics in a lot of his matches, instead of just getting out there and try to score points. The match with Murin, he got the lead and then counter shot Max to death. this will be a Big feather in his hat at seeding time.

On 1/18/2020 at 12:40 AM, SWINfan said:

So will we see Mason vs Gable this weekend.  I had heard Gable was going to Italy this weekend, but have since heard he did not.  Minnesota and Michigan are slated to wrestle Sunday, I believe.

Looks like Gable was too scared to get any good competition this weekend

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Man that Michigan - Minnesota dual was disappointing.  Arguably the two most highly anticipated matches of the day didn't happen.  No Brayton Lee or Gable Steveson.  Lee vs. Kanen Storr and Steveson vs. Mason Parris would have been awesome to see.  

13 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Purple Raider Open

Carson Brewer 4-0 for 1st place 

Donnel Washington 2-2

Daniel Tolin 1-2

Nate Cummings  3-2 for 4th place

David Eli 3-2 for 5th place

kyle Todrank 1-0 then MFF

Saw Alex Castro there too. I think he went 0-2. But good to see that kid still grinding. 

Edited by Mattyb

1 hour ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Psu dual against Rutgers got picked up by ESPN2. There are replays later too.

Nick Lee hammers Jo Jo Aragona 19-4. The scorers couldn't keep up with Lee's attacks. 

As a special bonus, Davkd Taylor was the color commentator and gave a shout out to Joe and Matt Lee for good measure.

Just starting to watch that dual now.  Thanks for the spoiler!  I'm kidding....  A spoiler would have been if Lee lost.  

1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

Lots of Indiana boys over at Mount Union College (Purple Raider Open). Heading back from there now. Will try to post results when I get home.... unless someone would like too. It was on track 

Mattyb, thanks for continuing to keep us updated on these tournaments and events.  I really enjoyed keeping up with as many guys as I could last year and providing results, but I don't have the time to do the same this year.  Doing the best I can to keep up just with the guys at the Major DI programs.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

What a shame. I remember a few years ago on here a bunch of people were saying Steveson wild major Parris and I’ve always thought it would be much closer. Was looking forward to finding out.

3 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Man that Michigan - Minnesota dual was disappointing.  Arguably the two most highly anticipated matches of the day didn't happen.  No Brayton Lee or Gable Steveson.  Lee vs. Kanen Storr and Steveson vs. Mason Parris would have been awesome to see.  

Seems like this has been happening a lot this year. The top guys are just not taking the mat against each other in duals.

44 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Seems like this has been happening a lot this year. The top guys are just not taking the mat against each other in duals.

It has been a complaint for a few years now actually.  It will happen eventually, at the Big Ten or Nationals.  

It was weird seeing Penn State in white singlets tonight though.