Hoosiers in College 2019-2020 Results

Mason Parris got a nice 15-5 Major win in their dual against Oregon State.  Michigan, short handed, lost the dual 21-15.  The Wolverines were without Austin Assad at 133 (missed weight) and Kanen Storr at 141 (skin issue), not to mention Olympic Redshirts Stevan Micic, Myles Amine and Logan Massa.  

I find it interesting how the college system works.  In 2014, Senior Stevan Micic beat Freshman Nick Lee in the IHSAA State Semifinal.  In 2021 Micic and Lee will both be seniors in college.

From the Flo  preview where they pick their top 10 matches of the weekend

You could make an argument that Dylan Lydy has been the hottest wrestler in the country this season. Coming off a bloodround finish at last year's NCAA Championships, Lydy has won all 20 of his matches this season and has picked up CKLV and Midlands titles along the way. Lydy began the year ranked #12 and has since beat Anthony Valencia, Kimball Bastian, Ben Harvey, Mikey Labriola, and Bryce Steiert twice. Can Lydy add to his hit list?

13 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I find it interesting how the college system works.  In 2014, Senior Stevan Micic beat Freshman Nick Lee in the IHSAA State Semifinal.  In 2021 Micic and Lee will both be seniors in college.

Red-shirt freshman year 2014/15, Olympic red-shirt 2015/16, Olympic red-shirt 2019/2020.

Were you not aware of how it happened?

Or do you find it interesting that a wrestler can take this many years to complete his eligibility?

Or that they are allowed multiple Olympic RS years?

Just curious, not meaning to be confrontational.

Edited by SIACfan

On 1/7/2020 at 1:48 PM, SIACfan said:

Red-shirt freshman year 2014/15, Olympic red-shirt 2015/16, Olympic red-shirt 2019/2020.

Were you not aware of how it happened?

Or do you find it interesting that a wrestler can take this many years to complete his eligibility?

Or that they are allowed multiple Olympic RS years?

Just curious, not meaning to be confrontational.

I knew how, just find it weird that they'll both be seniors at the same time (unless Lee RS next year) and that it is possible for it to happen.

41 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I knew how, just find it weird that they'll both be seniors at the same time (unless Lee RS next year) and that it is possible for it to happen.

Nick will be the returning NCAA Champion at 141 next year. He won’t redshirt. 

1 hour ago, IU89 said:

Nick will be the returning NCAA Champion at 141 next year. He won’t redshirt. 

That might depend on if Yianni is back at 141.  Thought there might be a possibility (albeit slight) that Penn State could reset next year and have Nick redshirt and come back at 149 the following season.  

That said, he's got a decent shot at winning it this year.

Edited by SWINfan

2 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

That might depend on if Yianni is back at 141.  Thought there might be a possibility (albeit slight) that Penn State could reset next year and have Nick redshirt and come back at 149 the following season.  

Yianni coming back will have NOT prevent Nick from wrestling next year. Just the opposite is true. With Yianni back, Nick will definitely be at 141 next year. 

1 minute ago, IU89 said:

Yianni coming back will have NOT prevent Nick from wrestling next year. Just the opposite is true. With Yianni back, Nick will definitely be at 141 next year. 

That's not what I said....   With Yianni coming back, if he goes 141, Nick is definitely not the favorite.  Less the favorite then than his would be this year, IMO.  

Penn St. choosing to reset next year and RS Nick and perhaps RBY would be a decision that has nothing to do with Yianni.  As I said, it's a slight possibility, but anything can happen.  My assumption was if Nick sat out next year, he would likely come back the following year at 149.  All conjecture.  

13 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I think the thought is that Yianni will be a 149 when he comes back. So hopefully Lee can stay down and avoid him. 

14 hours ago, SWINfan said:

That's not what I said....   With Yianni coming back, if he goes 141, Nick is definitely not the favorite.  Less the favorite then than his would be this year, IMO.  

Penn St. choosing to reset next year and RS Nick and perhaps RBY would be a decision that has nothing to do with Yianni.  As I said, it's a slight possibility, but anything can happen.  My assumption was if Nick sat out next year, he would likely come back the following year at 149.  All conjecture.  

Agreed. Yianni represents a challenge to accept rather than duck (see Micic, see Red).I think the bigger factor in whether Lee red shirts or not is how it helps or hurts the team. It would not be an individual decision. That said, with Busiello now going to PSU you can envision a situation where Lee red shirts next year and RBY or Busiello go 141 next year and Lee comes back the following year at 149. Way too many factors over too much time to make an actual prediction, just saying it is a possible scenario.

4 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Agreed. Yianni represents a challenge to accept rather than duck (see Micic, see Red).I think the bigger factor in whether Lee red shirts or not is how it helps or hurts the team. It would not be an individual decision. That said, with Busiello now going to PSU you can envision a situation where Lee red shirts next year and RBY or Busiello go 141 next year and Lee comes back the following year at 149. Way too many factors over too much time to make an actual prediction, just saying it is a possible scenario.

That's exactly what I was trying to get at.  You just said it better.  :) The plan could be one thing today and at some point Cael could ask him to do something else.  Nothing is set in stone.  I agree Nick isn't doing anything to duck anyone, Yianni included.

On 1/9/2020 at 11:03 AM, wrestlenewbie said:

Well at least part of my scenario is wrong. Busiello is wrestling at 157 this weekend in an open tournament. 

Lee wins 13-5 last night over Dylan Duncan from Illinois. Duncan was ranked 14 on Flo and 22 on Wrestlestat.

1 hour ago, RaiderColfax said:

6 hours ago, RaiderColfax said:

Ahhh I see, so you don’t think Lucas is that good. To each their own. 

No,You said that, I said a TRUE #2 wrestler doesn't get beat by a Lucas Davison.

2 hours ago, Disco said:

No,You said that, I said a TRUE #2 wrestler doesn't get beat by a Lucas Davison.

We may be splitting hairs here, but Davison's win over Shakur Rasheed today mean's he's a lot closer to the upper echelon than you may think.  Granted it was only Rasheed's 2nd match of the year, coming off an injury, but an impressive win nonetheless.  Shakur, if he can get to 100%, may just be the #2 wrestler at that weight by the end of the year.