IU vs Purdue

Y21AB

I gotta give it to Purdue this year. IU is getting some young talent, but they're still young. Purdue returns a lot of experience, including bring back 6 national qualifers to IUs one, two of those who ended up in the blood round. 

1 hour ago, Coach Moore said:

IU!!!! IF not this year definitely next year. Head coach is making some moves.

IU has been making moves, but so has Purdue. Ersland has a pound for pound ranked kid coming in from PA in Gerit Neinjhuis coming in, as well as a nationally ranked Jake Rundell. 

Let's go full Wrestlestat on this one:

125 Hudkins (I) Dec Schroder (P) 3-0 Ind

133 Luigs (I) DEC Cheney (P) 6-0 Ind

141 Konrath (I) DEC Limmex () 9-0 Ind

149 Parriott (P) MD Rooks (I) 9-4 Ind

157 Silva (I) DEC Coleman (P) 12-4 Ind

165 Soehnlen (P) TF Hoey (I) 12-9 Ind

174 Lydy (P) DEC Covaciu (I) 12-12 (they wrestled once last year with Lydy winning 5-2)

184 Lyon (P) MD Spencer (I) 16-12 Pur

197 Brunner (P) MD Kleimola (I) 20-12 Pur (they wrestled three times with Brunner taking all three with 2 DECs and one TF)

285 Streck (I) MD Pokorney (P) 20-16 Purdue

5 to 5 on matches, so it comes down to bonus points.

22 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

174 Lydy (P) DEC Covaciu (I) 12-12 (they wrestled once last year with Lydy winning 5-2)

197 Brunner (P) MD Kleimola (I) 20-12 Pur (they wrestled three times with Brunner taking all three with 2 DECs and one TF)

Pokorney is redshirting this year, still not 100% over his injury from last year. Will probably be David Eli at heavyweight. Also a chance Bruner redshirts this year, he’s wrestling unattached at the Michigan State open this weekend. If he doesn’t go it’d be Thomas Penola, who the coaches are very high on and seems to have a high ceiling from what he showed his last two years of high school. 

From what I’ve heard the word in West Laf. is that Patriott has spent some time cleaning up a few thing and should make a big impact this year.   Based on his expectations out of HS that is something I’m sure the Boiler faithful like hearing. 

Edited by MattM

4 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

If Pokorney were not redshirting I don’t think he would get major’d

1 hour ago, MattM said:

From what I’ve heard the word in West Laff. is that Patriott’s spent some time cleaning up some thing as is suppose to make a big impact this year.   Based on his expectations out of HS that is something I’m sure the Boiler faithful like hearing. 

I’m been waiting for him to excel for years. I’m really looking forward to him down at 149, which is probably the most wide open weight. 

On 11/3/2019 at 6:31 AM, maligned said:

Might want to amend the Silva over Coleman suggestion.

There have been a couple of changes after this weekend. Coleman, indeed switches to the favorite and with Parriott med forfeiting his last two at the MSU Open, Limmex looks like the starter at 149 with Parker Filius backfilling (back-filiusing?) at 141. Hinz takes over for Spencer at 184. They still have Pokorney listed at heavy. So now Wrestlestat has it:

141 Konrath (I) DEC Filius(P) 9-0 Ind

149 Limmex(P) DEC Rooks (I) 9-3 Ind

157 Coleman (P) DEC Silva (I) 9-6 Ind

165 Soehnlen (P) DEC Hoey (I) 9-9

174 Lydy (P) DEC Covaciu (I) 12-9 Pur (they wrestled once last year with Lydy winning 5-2)

184 Lyon (P) MD Hinz (I) 16-9 Pur

197 Brunner (P) MD Kleimola (I) 20-9 Pur (they wrestled three times with Brunner taking all three with 2 DECs and one TF)

285 Streck (I) DEC Pokorney (P) 20-12 Purdue

Now matches are 6 to 4 favoring Purdue.

Interestingly, if you sub Eli for Pokorney the result of that match flip to a DEC for Eli, final score 23-9 Purdue.

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to pop this back up after Purdue had an excellent CKLV and after pulling some redshirts. Wrestlestat now has it 24-9 in favor of the Boilers. 

Devin Schroder (Purdue) over Brock Hudkins (Indiana) DEC 6 - 5

Kyle Luigs (Indiana) over Travis Ford-Melton (Purdue) DEC 11 - 7

Paul Konrath (Indiana) over Parker Filius (Purdue) DEC 8 - 5

Griffin Parriott (Purdue) over Graham Rooks (Indiana) DEC 10 - 3

Kendall Coleman (Purdue) over Fernie Silva (Indiana) DEC 10 - 4

Emil Soehnlen (Purdue) over Davey Tunon (Indiana) DEC 11 - 5

Jacob Covaciu (Indiana) over Dylan Lydy (Purdue) DEC 6 - 5

Max Lyon (Purdue) over Jakob Hinz (Indiana) MD 15 - 2

Christian Brunner (Purdue) over Jake Kleimola (Indiana) MD 12 - 3

Thomas Penola (Purdue) over Brandon Streck (Indiana) MD 14 - 4

The date includes CKLV, so no clue why Wrestlestat would have Covaciu over Lydy. I'd personally switch that one and make the score 27-6. Also could easily see TFM over Luigs. 

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Wanted to pop this back up after Purdue had an excellent CKLV and after pulling some redshirts. Wrestlestat now has it 24-9 in favor of the Boilers. 

Devin Schroder (Purdue) over Brock Hudkins (Indiana) DEC 6 - 5

Kyle Luigs (Indiana) over Travis Ford-Melton (Purdue) DEC 11 - 7

Paul Konrath (Indiana) over Parker Filius (Purdue) DEC 8 - 5

Griffin Parriott (Purdue) over Graham Rooks (Indiana) DEC 10 - 3

Kendall Coleman (Purdue) over Fernie Silva (Indiana) DEC 10 - 4

Emil Soehnlen (Purdue) over Davey Tunon (Indiana) DEC 11 - 5

Jacob Covaciu (Indiana) over Dylan Lydy (Purdue) DEC 6 - 5

Max Lyon (Purdue) over Jakob Hinz (Indiana) MD 15 - 2

Christian Brunner (Purdue) over Jake Kleimola (Indiana) MD 12 - 3

Thomas Penola (Purdue) over Brandon Streck (Indiana) MD 14 - 4

The date includes CKLV, so no clue why Wrestlestat would have Covaciu over Lydy. I'd personally switch that one and make the score 27-6. Also could easily see TFM over Luigs. 

Yeah, that Covaciu/Lydy one caught me off guard as well. Lydy would be a heavy favorite right now, especially after CKLV.

IU should be on the way up with Angel at the helm and some of the big recruits they are getting lately.  Purdue and Ersland are quietly building solid lineups - they don't seem to land as many of the big in-state names, but he is definitely filling in the gaps.

I would just love to see both teams realistically in the upper-mid standings in the Big10 and some wildly competitive duals for the in state rivalry

24 minutes ago, base said:

IU should be on the way up with Angel at the helm and some of the big recruits they are getting lately.  Purdue and Ersland are quietly building solid lineups - they don't seem to land as many of the big in-state names, but he is definitely filling in the gaps.

I would just love to see both teams realistically in the upper-mid standings in the Big10 and some wildly competitive duals for the in state rivalry

It seems weird to me how in-state recruits keep going to IU because Angel is building something and want to stay home, while Ersland offers the same stay in-state ability while already showing he has a program built. There's still a ways to go, but Ersland and Purdue looks much more like a sure thing. 

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

It seems weird to me how in-state recruits keep going to IU because Angel is building something and want to stay home, while Ersland offers the same stay in-state ability while already showing he has a program built. There's still a ways to go, but Ersland and Purdue looks much more like a sure thing. 

As a coach of someone who just committed to IU and has another being recruited there, I can say for sure the cache of being a 4-time state champ from Indiana and his relative youth is what is pulling kids towards IU. They see in him something they can aspire to be. I love Coach Ersland, but I think it's hard for some of our HS athletes to see themselves in him. They don't have the ability to think that far ahead.

The stark difference in "fun" status between the two universities is another big thing that they've been siting. For better or worse, Purdue has a great academic reputation, but not so much for off-campus activity. Indiana has both going for it. 

As a Purdue grad myself, this pains me, but I think those are the reasons you're seeing so many Indiana wrestlers committing to IU. Ersland will be fine at Purdue, because he develops talent and will continue to nail down a few out of state guys each year. But Angel is placing on premium on keeping Indiana kids in Bloomington. We'll see if it pays off for them, but at the very least, he's going to make fans out of nearly every one in state because we all know the guys up and down the line-up.

16 minutes ago, Coach Brobst said:

As a coach of someone who just committed to IU and has another being recruited there, I can say for sure the cache of being a 4-time state champ from Indiana and his relative youth is what is pulling kids towards IU. They see in him something they can aspire to be. I love Coach Ersland, but I think it's hard for some of our HS athletes to see themselves in him. They don't have the ability to think that far ahead.

The stark difference in "fun" status between the two universities is another big thing that they've been siting. For better or worse, Purdue has a great academic reputation, but not so much for off-campus activity. Indiana has both going for it. 

As a Purdue grad myself, this pains me, but I think those are the reasons you're seeing so many Indiana wrestlers committing to IU. Ersland will be fine at Purdue, because he develops talent and will continue to nail down a few out of state guys each year. But Angel is placing on premium on keeping Indiana kids in Bloomington. We'll see if it pays off for them, but at the very least, he's going to make fans out of nearly every one in state because we all know the guys up and down the line-up.

Thanks, that's a great point of view from someone right in the process. And at least Ersland is getting some elite guys from out of state. But that last line pains me, because I hate IU, but I'm going to find myself rooting for them just because of all the in-state guys in the lineup. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.