Jump to content
Wrestlingfanatic

Best to come up short

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Hornet Coach said:

Gill Journey has to be in the discussion.  The real deal!

Gil worked out with my son some last year. Helped him a lot. He’s a great man and a great mentor. Multi-time police and fire games champ too! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeff Pease,Muncie Southside, needs to be mentioned....

National
1989 275lbs Junior Freestyle Nationals 1st
1989 275lbs Junior Greco Nationals 1st
1988 242lbs Cadet Freestyle Nationals 1st
1988 242lbs Cadet Greco Nationals 1st
1987 242lbs Cadet Freestyle Nationals 5th
1987 242lbs Cadet Greco Nationals 1st

College
1996 275lbs NCAA DII 7th for Central Oklahoma
1995 275lbs NCAA DII 2nd for Central Oklahoma

 

Placed 3rd his senior year on a fractured leg......

Edited by AJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AJ said:

Jeff Pease, Muncie Southside

The Rebels still living on in memory.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AJ said:

Jeff Pease,Muncie Southside, needs to be mentioned....

National
1989 275lbs Junior Freestyle Nationals 1st
1989 275lbs Junior Greco Nationals 1st
1988 242lbs Cadet Freestyle Nationals 1st
1988 242lbs Cadet Greco Nationals 1st
1987 242lbs Cadet Freestyle Nationals 5th
1987 242lbs Cadet Greco Nationals 1st

College
1996 275lbs NCAA DII 7th for Central Oklahoma
1995 275lbs NCAA DII 2nd for Central Oklahoma

 

Placed 3rd his senior year on a fractured leg......

Beast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are talking about the best to ever come up SHORT we gotta include... Jarred Brooks, Danny Hamm, Mason Todd, DJ Smith, Cody Phillips, Colton Cummings, Hayden Lee, Kris McKinley and of course Nick Wiesjahn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Y21AB said:

If we are talking about the best to ever come up SHORT we gotta include... Jarred Brooks, Danny Hamm, Mason Todd, DJ Smith, Cody Phillips, Colton Cummings, Hayden Lee, Kris McKinley and of course Nick Wiesjahn.

AGT-Clapping.gif

Edited by MattM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know my view is colored by “being there”, but I vividly remember the shock of Devon Nelson from Mishawaka getting pinned in the finals as a junior and a senior. His senior year, he was something like 55-0, and I’m pretty sure he had the match well in hand. May not fit the criteria as the best to come up short, but it’s definitely the biggest in my personal memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't remember exactly how close he got...maybe didn't even make the finals...but I sure did like watching Justin Brooks wrestle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Galagore said:

Can't remember exactly how close he got...maybe didn't even make the finals...but I sure did like watching Justin Brooks wrestle.

Justin made it to the 3/4 match a couple times.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MattM said:

Justin made it to the 3/4 match a couple times.  

Was talking with someone about that today, and that's what we thought...expected to win as a senior and placed fifth? Does that sound right? Guess I could just look it up haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Galagore said:

Was talking with someone about that today, and that's what we thought...expected to win as a senior and placed fifth? Does that sound right? Guess I could just look it up haha

I just recall his senior year that he fell victim to part of the Eppert vs Wright finals trilogy.  Pretty talented bracket that year. 

Edited by MattM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Galagore said:

Was talking with someone about that today, and that's what we thought...expected to win as a senior and placed fifth? Does that sound right? Guess I could just look it up haha

If....we had a website for that kind of stuff

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forget which Baker boy from the evil school a few miles north of me (Bellmont), but they had a kid in the late 90's that beat quite a few former state champs but never won it all.  I'm pretty sure he won the Al Smith all 4 years too.  My sons were in High School during his time, can't recall that kid losing much.  I can't remember what happened to him at State though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AdamsCoBuschhh said:

I forget which Baker boy from the evil school a few miles north of me (Bellmont), but they had a kid in the late 90's that beat quite a few former state champs but never won it all.  I'm pretty sure he won the Al Smith all 4 years too.  My sons were in High School during his time, can't recall that kid losing much.  I can't remember what happened to him at State though.

 

Randy was the 4x Al Smith Baker boy.    

 

 

Edited by MattM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan Grammer (Evansville Reitz) career record at SIUE was 119-17-1.

He beat John Smith (Oklahoma State) during their college years. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjd8aNm3Atw

http://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA 1985.pdf

http://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA 1986.pdf

SIUE's NCAA Division I All-American:

Alan Grammer 1985 – 134 pounds (3rd), 1986 – 134 pounds (5th)

SIUE's NCAA Division II All-American:

Alan Grammer 1984 – 134 (3rd), 1985 – 134 (1st), 1986 – 126 (1st)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MattM said:

 

Randy was the 4x Al Smith Baker boy.    

 

 

Beat Ben Wissel his Jr. Year.. Randy Baker ws an animal..I remember Ben wearing a shirt with a photo of him broke down after that match.. I seen him wear it at our dual with Richmond back in the day.. needless to say he didn't let history repeat itself and won a state title and ncca All American at Purdue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MattM said:

 

Randy was the 4x Al Smith Baker boy.    

 

 

That would be him.  There are so many Baker kids in sports in our area it's hard to keep them all straight.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.