Best to come up short

Jeff Pease,Muncie Southside, needs to be mentioned....

National
1989 275lbs Junior Freestyle Nationals 1st
1989 275lbs Junior Greco Nationals 1st
1988 242lbs Cadet Freestyle Nationals 1st
1988 242lbs Cadet Greco Nationals 1st
1987 242lbs Cadet Freestyle Nationals 5th
1987 242lbs Cadet Greco Nationals 1st

College
1996 275lbs NCAA DII 7th for Central Oklahoma
1995 275lbs NCAA DII 2nd for Central Oklahoma

Placed 3rd his senior year on a fractured leg......

Edited by AJ

12 minutes ago, Y21AB said:

If we are talking about the best to ever come up SHORT we gotta include... Jarred Brooks, Danny Hamm, Mason Todd, DJ Smith, Cody Phillips, Colton Cummings, Hayden Lee, Kris McKinley and of course Nick Wiesjahn.

AGT-Clapping.gif

Edited by MattM

I know my view is colored by “being there”, but I vividly remember the shock of Devon Nelson from Mishawaka getting pinned in the finals as a junior and a senior. His senior year, he was something like 55-0, and I’m pretty sure he had the match well in hand. May not fit the criteria as the best to come up short, but it’s definitely the biggest in my personal memory.

3 hours ago, Galagore said:

Can't remember exactly how close he got...maybe didn't even make the finals...but I sure did like watching Justin Brooks wrestle.

Justin made it to the 3/4 match a couple times.  

5 hours ago, MattM said:

Justin made it to the 3/4 match a couple times.  

Was talking with someone about that today, and that's what we thought...expected to win as a senior and placed fifth? Does that sound right? Guess I could just look it up haha

15 minutes ago, Galagore said:

Was talking with someone about that today, and that's what we thought...expected to win as a senior and placed fifth? Does that sound right? Guess I could just look it up haha

I just recall his senior year that he fell victim to part of the Eppert vs Wright finals trilogy.  Pretty talented bracket that year. 

Edited by MattM

I forget which Baker boy from the evil school a few miles north of me (Bellmont), but they had a kid in the late 90's that beat quite a few former state champs but never won it all.  I'm pretty sure he won the Al Smith all 4 years too.  My sons were in High School during his time, can't recall that kid losing much.  I can't remember what happened to him at State though.

1 hour ago, AdamsCoBuschhh said:

I forget which Baker boy from the evil school a few miles north of me (Bellmont), but they had a kid in the late 90's that beat quite a few former state champs but never won it all.  I'm pretty sure he won the Al Smith all 4 years too.  My sons were in High School during his time, can't recall that kid losing much.  I can't remember what happened to him at State though.

Randy was the 4x Al Smith Baker boy.    

Edited by MattM

Alan Grammer (Evansville Reitz) career record at SIUE was 119-17-1.

He beat John Smith (Oklahoma State) during their college years. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjd8aNm3Atw

http://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA 1985.pdf

http://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA 1986.pdf

SIUE's NCAA Division I All-American:

Alan Grammer 1985 – 134 pounds (3rd), 1986 – 134 pounds (5th)

SIUE's NCAA Division II All-American:

Alan Grammer 1984 – 134 (3rd), 1985 – 134 (1st), 1986 – 126 (1st)

18 hours ago, MattM said:

Randy was the 4x Al Smith Baker boy.    

Beat Ben Wissel his Jr. Year.. Randy Baker ws an animal..I remember Ben wearing a shirt with a photo of him broke down after that match.. I seen him wear it at our dual with Richmond back in the day.. needless to say he didn't let history repeat itself and won a state title and ncca All American at Purdue.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.