Flo Rankings

Sig40

Flo just updated their rankings.  Should be the last update before the High School season.  Our guys won't see much movement during season due to  our sweet travel restrictions.

120-Zeke Seltzer-20th
132-Jesse Mendez-2nd
152-Matt Lee-17th
170-Graham Calhoun-20th
182-Joe Walker-13th
195-Silas Allred-2nd
195-Evan Bates-13th

FYI-I updated middle school top 25 on the youth page

4 hours ago, Y21AB said:

Kind of surprised some of the southern states are staring to have more ranked guys than us. 

Texas has 10

Georgia has 9

Georgia's been coming on strong for a few years now, and they show out at Fargo and Super 32. 

36 minutes ago, Jim calhoun said:

When you look at the number of wrestlers from those states competing compared to Indiana that says a lot. They put a lot of stock in Fargo and super 32

And when you speak to them about their national teams, it's an interesting contrast in how much the athlete's participation/gear is subsidized by the state association or other sponsors/donors. To participate in Cadet/Junior Duals followed by Fargo is a mortgage payment or two/three in Indiana vs. a car payment in some of those other states.. 😳

1 hour ago, indypharmd said:

And when you speak to them about their national teams, it's an interesting contrast in how much the athlete's participation/gear is subsidized by the state association or other sponsors/donors. To participate in Cadet/Junior Duals followed by Fargo is a mortgage payment or two/three in Indiana vs. a car payment in some of those other states.. 😳

No doubt Marshall. I know that some wrestlers absolutely hate the bus ride to Fargo and hate staying in those dorms. I know of wrestlers that have skipped the trip because of it. Pay a lot for a trip that they don’t totally enjoy. 

Looks like we are getting good numbers at Super 32 with no formal trip. Kids are taking their coaches and / or parents, staying in decent hotels, and paying less (maybe).

I would like to see a poll. Would more people like to keep the Fargo trip like it is or have the camps here (to prepare) and get themselves there. Take who you want with you and stay where they want?

It may be apples to oranges.. but the ISWA sends two elementary teams to Heartland every year. When I first started that trip, the fees were $140 per wrestler. The parents provided there own transportation and lodging. Every year we finish around the top 5. I know that the fees for that trip have went up. With that said, the model works. 

I would like to point out some of the National duals that our top kids are doing also. Our elite kids are getting snatched up by Team Shutt, Minions, Scorpions, David Taylor, etc... these kids are going on these trips for way less then it takes to go on an Indiana national team and are getting great exposure.  Seems like our top dogs are willing to spend their money on these trips. Personally.. my son did. He loved his trips with the all-star teams. 

It may be time to rethink how we structure our national team trips. We are too good to be finishing where we have been. 

Edited by Mattyb

I'll defend the ISWA on costs as it is one of the biggest issues that are brought up especially when you are talking about Fargo.

Most of the costs of the trip do not change whether there are 10 kids or 100 kids attending. The cost for room and board, gear, entry fee, camp costs, etc all are set prices that aren't going to change with the number of kids attending. The transportation costs do go down or up based on numbers, but that is not affected as much unless they have to send a half full bus. The last thing that really adds to the cost are the coaches and ISWA staff that attend the event. The kids are basically all chipping in to pay for the coach's lodging, travel, and gear. 

The ISWA puts aside a good amount of money to help subsidize each trip, but after spreading it out over 60-80 kids it doesn't look like much. On top of that the ISWA does try to make these trips as inexpensive as possible.

In the past they went to Fargo early and held camp there which cut a little costs due to the housing there being fairly cheap. The past few years they went back to having a camp here a few weeks beforehand. I'm not sure on the cost difference for the camps being here. The ISWA also tried to have a two-year gear plan where you'd only have to buy gear once every two years. I am not sure that many liked that and thus they went back to getting new gear every year.

One other note, there have been kids that stayed with their parents and even flew with their parents to Fargo, but they are REQUIRED to still pay the full sum for the event without discount. 

Now, how do we solve this? Not sure the easy answer. If you allow the parents/coaches to take their kids like Akron or Folkstyle Nationals it will likely hurt participation greatly. The costs in all honesty would be a little cheaper, but a week in a hotel and meals would really make or break the cost of the event. The dorms at Fargo are really cheap for the kids and that is why it has been so hard for the ISWA and other state organizations to get away from them. If the location for the event changed it would have to be something really close to really affect the costs and that would be with the hopes that the housing and meal prices stay similar.

42 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I'll defend the ISWA on costs as it is one of the biggest issues that are brought up especially when you are talking about Fargo.

Most of the costs of the trip do not change whether there are 10 kids or 100 kids attending. The cost for room and board, gear, entry fee, camp costs, etc all are set prices that aren't going to change with the number of kids attending. The transportation costs do go down or up based on numbers, but that is not affected as much unless they have to send a half full bus. The last thing that really adds to the cost are the coaches and ISWA staff that attend the event. The kids are basically all chipping in to pay for the coach's lodging, travel, and gear. 

The ISWA puts aside a good amount of money to help subsidize each trip, but after spreading it out over 60-80 kids it doesn't look like much. On top of that the ISWA does try to make these trips as inexpensive as possible.

In the past they went to Fargo early and held camp there which cut a little costs due to the housing there being fairly cheap. The past few years they went back to having a camp here a few weeks beforehand. I'm not sure on the cost difference for the camps being here. The ISWA also tried to have a two-year gear plan where you'd only have to buy gear once every two years. I am not sure that many liked that and thus they went back to getting new gear every year.

One other note, there have been kids that stayed with their parents and even flew with their parents to Fargo, but they are REQUIRED to still pay the full sum for the event without discount. 

Now, how do we solve this? Not sure the easy answer. If you allow the parents/coaches to take their kids like Akron or Folkstyle Nationals it will likely hurt participation greatly. The costs in all honesty would be a little cheaper, but a week in a hotel and meals would really make or break the cost of the event. The dorms at Fargo are really cheap for the kids and that is why it has been so hard for the ISWA and other state organizations to get away from them. If the location for the event changed it would have to be something really close to really affect the costs and that would be with the hopes that the housing and meal prices stay similar.

Im talking duals and Fargo. As a former board member, I get it. I do understand the cost. I love the ISWA and the leadership. With that said... a good deal of families are not happy or skipping these trips all together and the results are not great. Just think it’s time to try something new. 

I do know that taking your own kids won’t save much money (if any). It’s more about the wrestlers and families enjoying the trips and ensuring their best efforts.

btw... how many Indiana kids go to Disney for a week? More than Fargo? I know we charged $400ish. 

I would like to hear from wrestlers and parents on their thoughts. Heck I could be completely wrong????

Edited by Mattyb

The wrestling community is not huge, but it is loyal.  To me, it sounds like the ISWA needs a dedicated person to sponsorships.  In my opinion, being asked to be on the state team should carry zero, or very minimal costs. 

I am POSITIVE that there are company-owners, executives, and retirees with deep pockets and a love of the sport of wrestling out there. The sponsorship coordinator needs to be able to show that the money is being managed sensibly, and market the heck out of the success that would come from full sponsorship from trips - and I think the money would roll in.

17 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Im talking duals and Fargo. As a former board member, I get it. I do understand the cost. I love the ISWA and the leadership. With that said... a good deal of families are not happy or skipping these trips all together and the results are not great. Just think it’s time to try something new. 

I do know that taking your own kids won’t save much money (if any). It’s more about the wrestlers and families enjoying the trips and ensuring their best efforts.

btw... how many Indiana kids go to Disney for a week? More than Fargo? I know we charged $400ish. 

I would like to hear from wrestlers and parents on their thoughts. Heck I could be completely wrong????

I take the IndianaMat team every year and last year we we had to take two teams since we had so many people wanting to go and every kid wrestled some one who was nationally ranked. Plus the kids are guaranteed about 10 quality matches in the all star division. 

1 hour ago, Y21AB said:

I take the IndianaMat team every year and last year we we had to take two teams since we had so many people wanting to go and every kid wrestled some one who was nationally ranked. Plus the kids are guaranteed about 10 quality matches in the all star division. 

My point exactly. I promise you there are many kids that go to Disney that have no clue about Fargo or what it is. We sell the kids on a fun trip with good competition and well over 100 kids from Indiana go all the way to Orlando to do it. They or the clubs get them there and many parents go. The clubs pay for most of there coaches to go. They are easily sold. 

I guess my point is this,,, If we want better results from our dual teams and out at Fargo, we need to change they way we "market" it.  And... @base is correct. We need to make it more affordable (somehow). 

BTW... hats off to the ISWA for starting the youth trip to Wisconsin for Kids Freestyle and Greco nationals! It a very low cost trip. It will help groom our younger studs for the freestyle and Greco trips when they reach the age to go. This is a great step! 

3 hours ago, base said:

The wrestling community is not huge, but it is loyal.  To me, it sounds like the ISWA needs a dedicated person to sponsorships.  In my opinion, being asked to be on the state team should carry zero, or very minimal costs. 

I am POSITIVE that there are company-owners, executives, and retirees with deep pockets and a love of the sport of wrestling out there. The sponsorship coordinator needs to be able to show that the money is being managed sensibly, and market the heck out of the success that would come from full sponsorship from trips - and I think the money would roll in.

They have secured more sponsors over the past few years. The ISWA actually does have a board member that is the "Fundraising Director." That is a newer position I believe since Keith Davison took over.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.