Brownsburg - Preseason #1?

Seems like with the addition of Coach Smiley and their returning talent/incoming freshmen, they are solid across the board. Who will contend with the Bulldogs? 

PS. For those of you that don’t know Coach Smiley, he had one of the most stacked weight classes in the history of IHSAA weight classes circa ~2000. Eric Keith, Josh Baxter, and one other guy were all 40+ and 0 heading into the IHSAA Semifinals. Smiley got ‘em all. Future is bright for the Bulldogs. 

Edited by IndianaWrestlingGuy1

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Seems like with the addition of Coach Smiley and their returning talent/incoming freshmen, they are solid across the board. Who will contend with the Bulldogs? 

PS. For those of you that don’t know Coach Smiley, he had one of the most stacked weight classes in the history of IHSAA weight classes circa ~2000. Eric Keith, Josh Baxter, and one other guy were all 40+ and 0 heading into the IHSAA Semifinals. Smiley got ‘em all. Future is bright for the Bulldogs. 

Smiley won his state title in 1997, not 2000. If memory serves me correctly, he beat a wrestler from Hammond in the finals. You must be mistaking Smiley for Donelson who lost to Eric Keith in the 2000 finals @ 140lbs.  

1 hour ago, AlaskanMountie said:

Smiley won his state title in 1997, not 2000. If memory serves me correctly, he beat a wrestler from Hammond in the finals. You must be mistaking Smiley for Donelson who lost to Eric Keith in the 2000 finals @ 140lbs.  

Ahh, yeah. Plainfield probs. It was Donelson. Damn. Well, west side lineage is strong. Can’t wait to see what the County has up their sleeve. 

14 hours ago, jpt189 said:

As far as the subject of the post- i would say top two could be interchangeable- Mater Dei and brownsburg.

cathedral will have a solid chance in the individual tourney

Don’t count out my orioles for the team title. Could have a handful of placers. 

But... Smiley is a great dude and coach.  Great pickup by Brownsburg.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:11 PM, Mattyb said:

Don’t count out my orioles for the team title. Could have a handful of placers. 

But... Smiley is a great dude and coach.  Great pickup by Brownsburg.

Indeed. You just gotta believe the front runners will come from The County with that strong lineage on the west side. 

On 9/28/2019 at 5:46 PM, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Eric Keith won the bracket you are referring to. 

12 hours ago, busstogate said:

I think there is another set of Bulldogs seeing things a little differently.

I am not sure on the point system used to score the Individual tournament... so my top 4 teams based on the numbers I assigned place winners is Mater Dei and Cathedral fighting for 1st and the Dogs(Crown Point and Brownsburg) battling for 3rd.  We should get a good idea on how the Dogs match up when Brownsburg comes up to CP on Dec 21st for the Carnahan Invite.

And, barring Avon, Cathedral, or Warren making the IHSAA Football Finals, there will be some good early season match-ups on Dec. 7 at the Cathedral 6 Way between the 3 squads. Any O/U bets on how many of these guys get to Lucas Oil the previous weekend? Vegas line is 1.5.

And the following weekend, Cathedral gets to see Crown Point at Calumet’s Traicoff on Dec 14. 

Edited by IndianaWrestlingGuy1

4 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

And, barring Avon, Cathedral, or Warren making the IHSAA Football Finals, there will be some good early season match-ups on Dec. 7 at the Cathedral 6 Way between the 3 squads. Any O/U bets on how many of these guys get to Lucas Oil the previous weekend? Vegas line is 1.5.

And the following weekend, Cathedral gets to see Crown Point at Calumet’s Traicoff on Dec 14. 

Crown Point is actually going to IL to wrestle in the OPRF Invite on Dec 14 instead.  They should see some great IL teams and I believe Detroit Catholic will be there as well.

28 minutes ago, Sig40 said:

Crown Point is actually going to IL to wrestle in the OPRF Invite on Dec 14 instead.  They should see some great IL teams and I believe Detroit Catholic will be there as well.

Damn. So, no dual state and no Traicoff. Hopefully, Al Smith?? Are they seceding to Illinois? 

The Roncalli Rebels should be making another top ten run this season.  The defending New Castle SS Champions have three returning state placers, three additional returning SS qualifiers and at least one impact freshman.  The Rebels have also added 2-time NCAA Qualifier Bryce Martin (IU), IHSAA State Champion DJ Smith, and former Rebel stars Joe Kieffer and state placer Nick Clifton  to the coaching staff. 

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, PhillyFanMD said:

Parochial School Sweep in 2020

Mater Dei-Cathedral-Roncali

Orioles will be chirping this year unless the IHSAA allows a 5th year of eligibilty

Not a chance. Crown Point or EMD are faves in my oracle. Littel injury will make it all interesting. Still think #theCounty will be dominant as usual. They have the best feeders and coaches in the state after all. Wish I lived on the west side of Indy so I could be surrounded by that wrestling brain trust. 

3 hours ago, FC118 said:

FYI - Cathedral is NOT a Parochial school!

It’s just semantics really. Private Catholic is adequate. 

He could have said “Catholic School Sweep”. Either way, Cathedral has more than 70% of the student population from parochial Indianapolis Archdiocese schools, so call us what you want. The Indy CYO has been producing some great talent lately, so I’d look for our Catholic Indy schools to continue to contend. 

I thought Brownsburg was going to get destroyed by a list of a dozen schools beginning last year?  Something about how something of ours were going to get eaten.  We weren't interested by the way. 

Throw out your backhand compliments.  We are often criticized.  It has worked out okay for us.  When contenders are mentioned, we seem to always be in the conversation....unlike someone else, we didn't make a guarantee of winning or list all the schools that were going to beat another school.  We just show up and do work. 

...and to bring up feeder schools?!?!?!!?!? ? HAHAHAHAHAHA....both of our middle schools are strong.  Our Elementary Dual team consistently competes at a high level.  Yes, we have strong feeders. 

I know our coaching staff could never compete with that of Indy Schools, but yeah Smiley was an okay addition.  Ayersman guy did okay.  HWT coaches took a beginner to a state championship.  I have a had a tad success here and at Mishawaka, etc. etc.

Keep talking and we will keep working.

Snyder

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.