Ball State Wrestling Club

You may want to talk with someone from the athletic department and/or intramural sports. Not sure who’s jurisdiction a club team actually falls under.  At one point I believe a club had to have a faculty sponsor to hold your practices on Ball State campus and call it a Ball State Club.   Not sure if that’s still true.  Then it’s just finding a way to get the word out and hopefully enough interested people show up to the meeting.   Ball State has had a short-lived club team a few different times in the recent past.  Some times it just been open practice at the school.  Other times some members went to participate in open event or during the ISWA season.  During one season the group actually got enough support to have decent singlets and a larger group traveled to a few college events, but then the team seemed to fall apart the next season. Not sure if those singlets are around the athletic department or they were bought outright by team members.  It could be of use to fret and locate the leadership from that year though since they clearly have a decent idea of some do’s and don’t to help build thing if you want it to go beyond just a open practice.  Time commitment, cost, and leadership graduation often takes a toll on keeping fledgling club teams going long term.  But good luck to you. I’d love to see a long term club team get formed. And I’ll be the first to buy a t-shirt if you get to the point of selling them. 

Edited by MattM

Here was the proto-type design of shirts that almost got made for the club team the one year they did more traveling. IMG_0362.JPG.c0fa0fc515a8c5f9d8a00a4e2abaf461.JPG

Based on the tag at the bottom that team was likely during the 2012-13 season.  I recall that the design being made by one of the members friends.  So maybe finding that person could give you a led to the prior group too. 

3 hours ago, MattM said:

You may want to talk with someone from the athletic department and/or intramural sports. Not sure who’s jurisdiction a club team actually falls under.  At one point I believe a club had to have a faculty sponsor to hold your practices on Ball State campus and call it a Ball State Club.   Not sure if that’s still true.  Then it’s just finding a way to get the word out and hopefully enough interested people show up to the meeting.   Ball State has had a short-lived club team a few different times in the recent past.  Some times it just been open practice at the school.  Other times some members went to participate in open event or during the ISWA season.  During one season the group actually got enough support to have decent singlets and a larger group traveled to a few college events, but then the team seemed to fall apart the next season. Not sure if those singlets are around the athletic department or they were bought outright by team members.  It could be of use to fret and locate the leadership from that year though since they clearly have a decent idea of some do’s and don’t to help build thing if you want it to go beyond just a open practice.  Time commitment, cost, and leadership graduation often takes a toll on keeping fledgling club teams going long term.  But good luck to you. I’d love to see a long term club team get formed. And I’ll be the first to buy a t-shirt if you get to the point of selling them. 

thank you!! I appreciate the advice!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I am also a student at Ball State and have been looking for people to start a wrestling club as well. I was a manager in high school and was hoping I would be able to help the club somehow because I really enjoyed it. My brother is also a senior in high school and is interested in participating in a wrestling club at Ball State next year too. I saw your sign hanging in Noyer yesterday, but realized that I missed the callout. Because I was a wrestling manager, I worked heavily with the MatBoss scoring and recording system, and actually ended up being one of two people awarded with a scholarship from the Matboss creators. With this scholarship, I got to talk to a few of the head people of the program and they told me that if anyone at Ball State was ever interested in starting a wrestling program here, that they would gladly do what they could to help us get it going. If you would like me to contact them about helping getting the program developed, or if you would like me to help in any way then let me know!