Is Indiana's wrestling talent decreasing?

PMFAN

6 hours ago, wrestlinglife94 said:

I personally think talent has been dropping past 10 years.

103 - Stevan Micic 10 Hanover Central (47-0) .
113 – Jarred Brooks 12 Warsaw (35-0)
120 – Paul Petrov 12 Hanover Central (47-0)
126 – Kyle Ayersman 12 Lake Central (52-0)
132 – Jared McKinley 12 Perry Meridian (48-1)
138 – Devon Jackson 12 Yorktown (52-0)
145 – Jason Tsirtsis 12 Crown Point (42-0)
152 – Isaiah Bradley 11 Muncie Southside (44-0)
160 – Brian Harvey 12 Indianapolis Cathedral (47-0)
170 – Sean Mappes 12 Center Grove (46-0)
182 – Tanner Lynde 12 Delphi (52-0)
195 – Mitch Sliga 11 Fishers (49-0)
220 – Tyler Kral 12 Crown Point (41-2)
285 – Abraham Hall 12 Bremen (50-0)

pair these champions vs present

I feel like the top schools have tougher schedules nowadays.  Many schools are traveling out of state, so we do not have as many undefeated champions.  Because they have a loss, it does not mean they arent as good.  IMO

On 11/15/2019 at 8:03 PM, No One Famous said:

I feel like the top schools have tougher schedules nowadays.  Many schools are traveling out of state, so we do not have as many undefeated champions.  Because they have a loss, it does not mean they arent as good.  IMO

My thoughts exactly.  Most of the top programs leave the state at least once for a tournament.  Last year Cernus, Moran, Garcia, and Rooks would have been undefeated as well if they would have stayed in state.  I believe the losses they took were from national ranked wrestlers.

1 hour ago, Galagore said:

At the top, yes. We are rocking and rolling at the top. Bottom third? Not so much.

I don't know what you are basing this on?  Last season I was shocked at how good the 5th-6th places matches were at most tournaments.  I really think that the depth of the overall talent pool is what stands out to me the most in our state at local tournaments.  I think back to when I wrestled you would have kids that had no clue what was going on out there.  You don't see that much anymore. Saturday I am going to spend my day at a JV meet, I guarantee there will be some solid wrestling there.

Now if your talking forfeits, that is a different beast, but the kids for the kids that are out there wrestling I don't think the talent has ever been higher.

I think that forfeits plays a big part in the health of the sport. We saw a lot of teams last year (us included) with rosters in the 2-8 range. A healthy wrestling state does not look like top teams having unprecedented success and the bottom third of teams struggling to fill half of their weight classes. At least not through the lens I am using.

These hypothetical matches sound interesting but in real life you can guess but never truly know the results.  You don’t know that Streck pins Keys.  Keys looks like he has more upside to me.  Asa might spank Cernus.  I’ll take Moran over Cummings. Sometimes a one time State Champion is better than a 3 timer for the one season.  Maybe the reason those 2016 guys had such successful careers is because wrestling was down overall during their 4 years.  Maybe wrestling has improved across the board so it might be tougher to win multiple titles.   

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.