Mike Ester

mcochran

The Snider wrestling program and community is  heart broken and grieving with the loss of Coach Mike Ester.  Mike's love and passion for our wrestlers and our program is unmatched.  We love Mike and his family. Thank you for your prayers and support for his family, our team, and our school community.

Visitation will be Friday August 23rd from 12:00 to 3 PM  and 5:00 to 9.  Funeral service will be Saturday  Aug 24 at 11:00 AM at D O McCombs 4017 Maplecrest Blvd. Fort Wayne, Indiana

Edited by mcochran

Concordia Wrestling and head coach James Jones would like to extend their condolences to the Ester family and the Snider Wrestling program. Coach Ester was always a fierce competitor and very passionate about the sport of wrestling. He will be missed by the entire wrestling community. Our prayers go out to all of his family and friends.

I don't even know where to start. This breaks me. Mike was brash. Mike was tough. Mike might have ticked some people off. But he was a dear friend and most of all he would do anything, anything humanly possible for kids. And especially kids who needed more guidance, more support and more love. Miss you coach. 

I was around him a lot of times from the early 90s to late 2000s, but I won't forget the first. In my 8th grade mind in 1992, undefeated Aaron Wilson of Warsaw was unbeatable at 119 pounds and destined to win state. But senior Mike Ester had other ideas. After getting beat by Denny Schwartz of Adams Central at regional, Mike out-gutted the favored Wilson for an incredible upset win in a semi-state ticket round death draw. He went on to win semi-state and then take 3rd at state, beating Schwartz in the consolation final in his last high school match in a rematch of their regional championship. I distinctly remember my first glimpse of Ester's passion in that upset over Wilson and I saw it many more times in his coaching over the years. RIP

Edited by maligned

1 hour ago, maligned said:

I was around him a lot of times from the early 90s to late 2000s, but I won't forget the first. In my 8th grade mind in 1992, undefeated Aaron Wilson of Warsaw was unbeatable at 119 pounds and destined to win state. But senior Mike Ester had other ideas. After getting beat by Denny Schwartz of Adams Central at regional, Mike out-gutted the favored Wilson for an incredible upset win in a semi-state ticket round death draw. He went on to win semi-state and then take 3rd at state, beating Schwartz in the consolation final in his last high school match in a rematch of their regional championship. I distinctly remember my first glimpse of Ester's passion in that upset over Wilson and I saw it many more times in his coaching over the years. RIP

This!!!  I told Ester on a few occasions that match was a game changer for me. I thought Aaron was untouchable and on that day I learned there are no immortals.  I was also younger and it left an impression.

2 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Mike Ester, Demetrius Burton, and Tony Vaughn anchored one of FW Snider's strongest squads ever in 1991-1992. Good memories of those boys at Market Square and through the AAU circuit at Arsenal Tech satellites and Team Indiana. Rest in peace, Mike.  

Mike Ester, the late Matt Morris, and Demetrice Burton anchored that team.. Tony Graduated in 1991.  Mike was the first person I met at Snider in the summer of 1988.  I was an incoming senior transfer from SB Washington. He was an incoming 82lb freshman.  He was scrappy and someone nicknamed him "Spike".  He was also the only person I wrestled with in high school and in college.  Mike was tough as nails as a wrestler.  He wasn't quick nor strong.  I wouldn't have called him an athlete.  He was just tough as a bulldog.  Same way in college.  Hard worker and he expected the same from his athletes.  It will be strange not seeing him at Snider Crossroads or some prestige-less off-season competition.   I know he loved the sport and cared about the kids.   He will be missed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.