Remembering Mike Ester

The Indiana wrestling community lost a great coach yesterday. Mike Ester of Fort Wayne passed away. Mike was the coach of Fort Wayne Snider before starting the Indiana Tech program and then recently returning to Snider as an assistant to help coach his son Brady Ester who is going into his senior season. Mike was my high school coach. I graduated from Snider in 2004. He had a tremendous impact on my life and I wouldn't be the man or coach I am today apart from his influence. I know Mike had a personality that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but those closest to him know how big his heart was for his wrestlers and this sport. Even if you would classify him as 'enemy' you cannot question his passion. Remember, we all have our flaws and it never hurts to extend grace rather than judgment. This is a husband, a father, a son, a brother and a fellow coach. It is times like these when our community has an opportunity to set our differences and our competitive nature aside to respond in love and support to show just how bonded and unique this family of wrestlers is. 

As a gift for the family, I am collecting letters from individuals who have a memory, a word of encouragement or a story to share of how Mike impacted your life. This will help capture some sweet memories that they can reflect on to know just how special he was. If you would like to contribute, you can send it to me via e-mail at spartangrappling@gmail.com. If you know someone who doesn't visit this discussion board but would like to contribute, please share this message with them. 

The family is unbelievably broken and at a loss right now, please lift them up in your prayers. 

Whatever you are facing today may not be as big or as serious as it seems. Take the time to let someone know they are loved.

God bless,

Nathan DeVaux - Head Coach - Homestead High School

Snider '04

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.