Junior Worlds This Week

Y2CJ41

38 minutes ago, maligned said:

He gifted the Russian all 4 points in my opinion. Takedown was off of his own needless erratic bouncing around. Step out was lack of mat awareness. Challenge was really bad situational awareness. Had to be a maddening feeling walking off the mat. I felt for him.

I’ve seen coaches do that so many times lately it feels like. He would’ve needed a takedown with no challenge or winning the challenge anyway, how are elite coaches making this stupid mistake?

1 hour ago, bigballerb said:

Yup, tough loss. Our second day guys crushed it, with all going for a medal tomorrow. Last I checked we were down 115-100 to Russia .

Nomad ran the numbers, and were locked into either 2nd or 3rd. Not sure if there’s a shot of winning or not. 

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

I’ve seen coaches do that so many times lately it feels like. He would’ve needed a takedown with no challenge or winning the challenge anyway, how are elite coaches making this stupid mistake?

Heat of the moment, it was a horrible challenge. Immediately my Twitter feed filled up with questions about it.

1 hour ago, maligned said:

He gifted the Russian all 4 points in my opinion. Takedown was off of his own needless erratic bouncing around. Step out was lack of mat awareness. Challenge was really bad situational awareness. Had to be a maddening feeling walking off the mat. I felt for him.

100% just wasn’t the bad challenge. Hoping hoagie hidlay can bring home the bronze!

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Kevin jack was said to be the one to throw the brick in his corner. Pretty sure this is his first year on the coaching scene. Regardless, should not of throw the brick.

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Heat of the moment, it was a horrible challenge. Immediately my Twitter feed filled up with questions about it.

Here’s an idea... have a designated person near the corner (a challenge expert). Have that person watch the table refs. If the table refs don’t see what the coach sees and don’t score the call differently then the mat ref, I rarely see a call over turned. On the other hand, the vast majority of the calls that I see reversed are seen differently by at least on of the table refs. The coaches are too busy coaching to look at the table refs. With that said... watching table refs can be a great indicator if a call should be challenged.

Edited by Mattyb

2 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Per the current standings Indiana would be in 9th place as a country in the world right now.

Incredible. From going no AAs in Fargo to a Top 10 “country” in the world with upside, it is a ridiculous statement. Good luck Lucas and Mason. All Hoosiers are in your corner. Crush. 

I know it HWT tactics, but still a big leap for Parris.   From relatively no national freestyle experience a short time ago to now having international success.  He may not always look smooth, but he’s  definitely showing improvement in his match awareness and skill set.    

And it seems like very few people nationally seems to bring Davison name up as a up and coming college talent. But he’s been on quite an impressive run the last couple years.  I think a lot more people will get to know his name as this college season progresses. 

Edited by MattM

2 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Here’s an idea... have a designated person near the corner (a challenge expert). Have that person watch the table refs. If the table refs don’t see what the coach sees and don’t score the call differently then the mat ref, I rarely see a call over turned. On the other hand, the vast majority of the calls that I see reversed are seen differently by at least on of the table refs. The coaches are too busy coaching to look at the table refs. With that said... watching table refs can be a great indicator if a call should be challenged.

Parris had a call in his semi-finals overturned...it just delayed the inevitable though.

I know the Flo guys have talked about a challenge card like if the score is this should you challenge type thing that they have in football for two-point conversions.

Here are a few trivia facts

1. Indiana has had 15 world medalists, but NEVER a champion.

2. We have now had multiple medalists in one year...TWICE. The last time was 2016 when Kayla Miracle won a Junior bronze and Alara Boyd won a Cadet bronze medal. We have never had multiple medalists in the same age/style.

3. Andrew Howe and Stevan Micic are the only other Men's Junior Freestyle medalists, they were both 3rd. 

More info can be found on this wonderful history page.

https://indianamat.com/index.php?/history/worlds.html/

33 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

You may now refer to Mason Parris as WORLD CHAMPION Mason Parris. He got a fall in the first period in the finals....just doing Mason Parris things....

So where does this put Indiana in the world standings if Indiana was a country?

1 hour ago, AJ said:

"I have gotten a lot better since the college season"  - Mason Parris

Mason Parris makes it to Round of 12 as a True Freshman HWT.   To some that would be a heck of a first year accomplishment and worth a little relaxation before the next season.  But Mason instead steps further out of his primary style and takes on a huge freestyle summer season during what would be some of his down time.  This pays off with a much improved skill set, a shiny new world medal, and a huge confidence boost going into the NCAA season.  Never satisfied. 

5 hours ago, AJ said:

"I have gotten a lot better since the college season"  - Mason Parris

You gotta figure he really couldn’t ever train full time year round, prior to this year. He was killing it in football and track. Which I’m sure that he does not regret and had tons of fun. As a middle school coach I try to encourage all my kids to do the same. Mason is a great example of what a young well rounded student athlete should be. My kids will hear about Masons journey no less than 10 times a season!  

Now that he is training for wrestling year round and full time, the sky is the limit. Can’t wait to see what the future holds!! 

Edited by Mattyb

Alara goes down 4-0 early off of an arm spin takedown into a gut by the Asian champ Kuznetzava. Late in the first, Alara starts attacking underhooks aggressively; which leads to a counter takedown off of a Kuznetzava shot. Boyd attacks hooks hard out of the gate in the second, gets double unders and threatens a body lock, and Kuznetzava panics and goes for a throw. Alara puts her to her back for the comeback fall! On to the quarters.

The Moldovan lost a hard-fought semifinal to the Japanese and Boyd is eliminated. Tough tournament. The U.S. ladies only got 1 out of 10 to the finals, one or two will get bronze, and the rest are eliminated.

Edited by maligned

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.