Mendez at Cadet Worlds

Y2CJ41

His draw is released on Trackwrestling. He has Egypt first round and is in the top half of the bracket.

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=278618132

I'll await the experts on finding out information on his opponents, but traditional powers Iran, Azerbaijan, and Japan are all also on his half of the bracket.

Just as a reminder if he makes the semi-finals he is guaranteed a top 5 finish. If he loses before the semi-finals he will need the guy that defeated him to advance to the finals.

Wrestling will begin at 3:30am EST time on Trackwrestling, better get some extra coffee tonight.

Here is the link to the UWW event page, it's hard to navigate so good luck.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/world-championships-35?tab=results

Here is their "arena" software link
https://arena.unitedworldwrestling.org/sport-event/show/a6604147-b114-11e9-9f0c-080027548b1b

If you go to "Live Stream" you can see the match order on each mat tomorrow.

Per USAWrestling Mendez's first opponent was the Cadet African champion this year. Africa isn't exactly known as a powerhouse continent and this guy looks to be Egypt's only freestyle competitor.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/July/29/McGowan-Figueroa-Mendez-Facundo-and-Haas-receive-draws-for-2019-Cadet-World-Championships

Other potential opponents.
The Iranian was 2nd at the Asian championships to Japan. However, the Japanese guy entered at Worlds is different. Iran and Japan should meet in the other quarter-final.

Jesse's likely quarter-final opponent from Azerbaijan is unknown. The guy they entered at Euro's won the bracket, but again he is not entered.

Just as a note Cadets are hard to scout as they are so young and thus very little information past a few events and just knowing the power countries. 

12 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Mendez will be the 19th match on Mat B as of now. If I were to guess that would mean he will hit the mat around 5am EST, but that is just a guess.

Awesome, I can sleep in a bit

35 minutes ago, graham said:

When does he wrestle next?

He lost 8-1 in the quarters. He still has a chance to medal. He needs the guy that beat him to win the next match. Most of the USA guys got beat in the Quarters or semis. 

On a break now. I think they start back up at 11:00 our time. 

Edited by Mattyb

28 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

He lost 8-1 in the quarters. He still has a chance to medal. He needs the guy that beat him to win the next match. Most of the USA guys got beat in the Quarters or semis. 

On a break now. I think they start back up at 11:00 our time. 

I saw that on Twitter after I posted. 

Dang. 

Rooting for him the rest of the way!

Edited by graham

3 minutes ago, graham said:

I saw a tweet saying that a lot of these cadets from other countries are definitely over 18.  Is that possible?

Definitely, other countries have been known to lie about their athletes age. It was recently found out that Sadulaev is a few years older than originally thought. And the “kid” Jesse wrestled looked like he was in his twenties. 

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Definitely, other countries have been known to lie about their athletes age. It was recently found out that Sadulaev is a few years older than originally thought. And the “kid” Jesse wrestled looked like he was in his twenties. 

Reminds me when we went to Cici’s after weighins one time with the team (terrible). Mom in front of us had kids that were six foot tall and had to shave. She insisted that they were under 12 so she could get half off! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.