Article: Tonte moving back to the south side

Y2CJ41

After four years at the helm of Warren Central Jim Tonte will head back south to take over the Franklin Grizzly Cubs this year. In his first year guiding the Warriors Tonte captured his fourth state title as a coach and became the first coach in Indiana history to coach two different schools to a state title.

Tonte spent 19 years at the helm of Perry Meridian where they captured state titles in 2011, 2012,and 2013. The first two titles were in the dual meet championship era and in 2013 was when the scoring at the state finals determined the team champions.

Longtime Franklin coach Bob Hasseman stepped down last month after leading the Grizzly Cubs for 33 years. The Grizzly Cub program is heavily involved with the ISWA and always has a strong youth presence. 

Tonte will leave open a prime position at Warren Central that returns two state placers and was runner-up at Team State last year. He will have to leave behind his trademark gold jacket, but don't be surprised to see him in a flashy new silver on at the state finals this year.

View full article

Cannot say that I am glad about this, I was very happy to see Jim at Warren. I wish him well in his new position, it works well for him, his wife with her total involvement in ISWA, and at least one of his assistant coaches. Warren needs to find a tough no frills coach to come in take over where Jim left off and build the club and high school team to even higher heights. I would recommend 2 people that I think would be a good fit, but they are already with other schools, so I will refrain from naming names. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.