Jesse Mendez Wrestling at Flo’s Who’s #1 event.

MattM

Jesse will be defending his #1 ranking... hopefully in Carver Hall.  The Viper pit looked like a cool venue, but I think Hawkeye nation will have way better attendance... plus are family and friends won't have that far to drive.  We are so pumped about this.  

On 7/18/2019 at 2:29 PM, Sig40 said:

Jesse will be defending his #1 ranking... hopefully in Carver Hall.  The Viper pit looked like a cool venue, but I think Hawkeye nation will have way better attendance... plus are family and friends won't have that far to drive.  We are so pumped about this.  

Best of luck to him. I was told by a good friend a couple years ago to keep an eye on this kid named Jesse Mendez. Was told that he is the next 4Xer and could possibly be the best ever here in Indiana. I always take that with a grain of salt, UNTIL his routing of everyone last year. His display that he put on at state was something special to watch and confirmed what my friend had told me. It’s truly a treat as a wrestling fan to witness something like this. The last person that I recall that was just this dominant was Jason Tsirtsis. And he very well could be even better than TShirts when it’s all said and done. Go get’em kid. 

59 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Best of luck to him. I was told by a good friend a couple years ago to keep an eye on this kid named Jesse Mendez. Was told that he is the next 4Xer and could possibly be the best ever here in Indiana. I always take that with a grain of salt, UNTIL his routing of everyone last year. His display that he put on at state was something special to watch and confirmed what my friend had told me. It’s truly a treat as a wrestling fan to witness something like this. The last person that I recall that was just this dominant was Jason Tsirtsis. And he very well could be even better than TShirts when it’s all said and done. Go get’em kid. 

J.tsirtsis lost multiple times and had close match vs Devon jackson who's a 3x under the lights finalist(this takes nothing from his accomplishments and i'm splitting hairs here) .Jesse hasn't hardly given up any offensive points if any yet ...Angel Escobedo and Alex Tsirtsis were the most dominant I've seen next to mason parris... Lance Ellis ws ws decent too😂..but I'll say this Jason beat #1 nationally ranked guy as a freshman and no other guy can say that ...but then again Jesse is #1.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

3 hours ago, nkraus said:

Watts at Al Smith.  

In my opinion how that match played out was a great turning point match for Mendez rise to a state title.  I’m sure he knew he had the ability to take on the best in the state, but the course of that match put his feet to the fire enough to solidify that.  

Edited by MattM

29 minutes ago, MattM said:

In my opinion how that match played out was a great turning point match for Mendez rise to a state title.  Im sure he knew he had the ability to take on the best in the state, but the course of that match put his feet to the fire enough to solidify that.  

Good lord did he turn it on after that match !!!

9 hours ago, navy80 said:

Who scored offensive points on Mendez during his freshman year?

whats the all time record of Mendez and his who’s #1 opponent? 

Jesse was scored on 4 times. Dalton Huffman got a takedown, Ethan Kaiser got a reversal, JJ Conway got a takedown, and Watts scored on Jesse in the semi finals. 

Jesse’s only match against Serrano was the win at Akron(7-7 criteria win). 

13 hours ago, Sig40 said:

Jesse was scored on 4 times. Dalton Huffman got a takedown, Ethan Kaiser got a reversal, JJ Conway got a takedown, and Watts scored on Jesse in the semi finals. 

Jesse’s only match against Serrano was the win at Akron(7-7 criteria win). 

that shows how tough some in state kids are to actually go after him as well! scary part is that he gets better every time. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

I don’t like the 4 way deal. Did CJ Red like that too, and didn’t like it then. If Jesse is one... let them other dudes battle it out and winner gets Jesse (like Final X).

Thoughts???

I don’t have an issue with it. Granted in this scenario it doesn’t help Mr. Mendez but it will provide him an additional opportunity to showcase his skills vs a quality opponent. Having 4 also eliminates the “what if’s” for wrestlers who had a “legit resume” to be there as well.

1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

I don’t like the 4 way deal. Did CJ Red like that too, and didn’t like it then. If Jesse is one... let them other dudes battle it out and winner gets Jesse (like Final X).

Thoughts???

My thought is awesome, now I can see him win twice. 

We love the idea. Gives Jesse a chance to avenge a loss from last year at Super32 to Jack and then wrestle another amazing wrestler at same event. Giving Jesse a shot at 2 extremely tough matches in one day is totally worth it.  

Side note: Willie asked Jesse if he was ok with making it a 4 man bracket and he said he was down to wrestle anyone. It is definitely the hardest way to defend his ranking, but I am really excited to hopefully watch him wrestle twice at Carver Hall. 

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:55 PM, Sig40 said:

he said he was down to wrestle anyone

Hector @Sig40 if you would have said that Jesse's response was anything else other than this I would have asked @Y2CJ41 to check into your account for it getting hacked because knowing Jesse I know there was never a doubt or question in his mind other than this answer.   Great kid and he makes all of proud to say we know him man !!!

• 1 month later...

Just want to thank all the Indiana wrestling fans that came to Carver Hawkeye Arena to cheer on Jesse(70+).  Jesse definitely had the loudest crowd besides the 2 Iowa commits.  Also thank you to the Joe, Mike, and Caleb for coming out(even got to see Caleb's sick dance moves).  This was an amazing weekend for Jesse and our family.  Jesse was really happy with the support he received from everyone and is already talking about coming back next year.  

Side note: Indiana has had 5 WNO competitors compared to Iowa's 1.  Indiana is killing it on the national scene and there is another strong group of young men in middle school that is going to keep that tradition alive.  Indiana is and will continue to be respected.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.