Brennen Cernus Transfer

purdue02

I know for a fact Bryant did not leave CMA because of coaching. If anything, that was a reason to stay. With that said, Behling is a heck of guy. As great of a wrestler as your son is, seeing you go is probably refreshing. 

On 7/8/2019 at 9:00 AM, CoachTJC said:

I'm Brennen's father. I received a text from a parent who's son attends Culver regarding this post and the comments made by AdamscoBuschhh. Just to clear the air you don't know me and we never met prior to the finals. I have no idea who you are or why you felt obligated to completely fabricate a post like this. We were in our hotel room between the break prior to finals and my dad doesn't even drink. Anyone that has been around my son knows that he is a quiet, respectful, and focused young man that is a hard worker. I truly feel sorry for you that you would make false statements aimed at a 15yr. old, its pathetic. My name is TJ Cernus, I'd like to know your real name as well. Moving forward, feel free to contact me directly so you can direct your false statements towards me rather than my son. Culver is not a military academy for kids with disciplinary issues. Any one with half a brain would already know this. If they did they would be gone in less than a month, the school has zero tolerance for this. It has military structure however it is not what would be considered rigid. Wyoming Seminary was initially our first school of choice last year prior to enrolling at Culver. We ended up choosing Culver because it was much closer to home and there were a few other families that we are friends with whose son's were also attending. We left Culver because the head coach was not what he portrayed himself or the program to be. There was no direction for the program. It was very unorganized, undisciplined, and there was a severe lack of technical coaching ability. Josh Harper was later added to the staff, he was the reason we decided to stay this past year. Josh was solid, he was intense, a good motivator, and he was there to make everyone better, he cared. Culver is an excellent academic academy and we were disappointed to leave. It was not an easy decision. Academics are our top priority and we expected to have a good balance with wrestling as well, unfortunately that was not the case.

1prouddad, thank you for your comment, we greatly appreciate it. 

Indiana puts on a great state tournament and we were proud to be able to be a part of it. My son and our family received an outpouring of support from complete strangers during the course of the season and this is rare. Indiana is very much like Ohio, the wrestling community is a pretty tight knit group that for the most part supports one another. There were numerous people who congratulated Brennen and our family after the finals that were genuinely happy for him. This will be an experience that we will never forget. Thank you Indiana. Best of luck.

Congrats to you, but this post opens a whole can of worms for me. Did you move into Indiana & CMA? It seems like if that is the case it was primarily for athletic purposes though you state " Academics are our top priority and we expected to have a good balance with wrestling as well, unfortunately that was not the case." Hoping I'm wrong, but your post seems to make me think that way even with the quoted statement. Especially mentioning preference of coaches. Having been around Ohio & Indiana high school sports forums, this post brings up the whole private/parochial/charter vs public debate. Kudos to you and your son for having the luxury of attending those schools as most in the state do not. It's not a knock per se against you & your family but the IHSAA and the way they handle things.

Culver is a boarding school and can take in folks from all over the world as long as they have tuition.  I think if they were found to be recruiting from Indiana schools, they could be in the debate, but I am pretty sure their situation puts them out of the conversation almost all of the time.

11 hours ago, busstogate said:

Culver is a boarding school and can take in folks from all over the world as long as they have tuition.  I think if they were found to be recruiting from Indiana schools, they could be in the debate, but I am pretty sure their situation puts them out of the conversation almost all of the time.

Actually it creates the debate on those type of forums. The post made me understand why others have been so heated on both sides of that debate. I usually stay out of it, as my point is so different than most. I'm ready for the European athletic culture to take over. I'll enjoy high school sports as they are now, BUT  it only seems a matter of time before the club sports take grasp. Already have club wrestling, club volleyball, club/AAU basketball, club/travel baseball & softball, club soccer, and etc. Only a matter of time if other sports follow baseball and have established minor league systems, or the NCAA scraps the "student" athlete model.

• 1 month later...

It’s hard for me to grasp a parent being upset about the coaching when their child ran thru one of the toughest state tournament series in the United States.  

Dont know any details but Brennen was so dominant I just assumed he was helped a little by the coaching. 

Edited by BrennanFan

Bigger question is: Can a military school in the back hills of northern Indiana that charges $55k/year sustain a program with transfers from across the Midwest? 

I say no. Forget about the coaching. It’s more of an environment thing. Beautiful campus. Incredible international diversity. Just challenging to maintain at that price tag. 

3 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Bigger question is: Can a military school in the back hills of northern Indiana that charges $55k/year sustain a program with transfers from across the Midwest? 

I say no. Forget about the coaching. It’s more of an environment thing. Beautiful campus. Incredible international diversity. Just challenging to maintain at that price tag. 

Not trying to ask a dumb question...Do all students pay $55k/year, or are there "scholarships," or 'boosters" to help?  I'm a school teacher, so the thought of sending my kid to school for $55k/year is not an option.  Can loans be taken out and pay on the loans like people do for college?

The whole situation with kids going to Culver and excelling in wrestling then the parents taking them somewhere else is very odd.

Maybe there’s some entitlement they want that they don’t get. 

I honestly don’t think these people are like the rest of us that rely on the public school system. 

Not trying to bash anyone but I just don’t get it. 

Yes, Culver is different. It is a virtual boarding school for the uber rich in most cases. Parents looking for structure for their kids away from the temptations of their everyday environment. They literally have students from all over the world there.

They have one of the best hockey programs in the country; they have stables of horses and an equestrian program; they have crew and sailing teams. So, yes, not your run of the mill public or P/P school on the banks of Lake Maxinkuckee. 

I will say if you want to experience it or have your kid experience it, the 2 and 6 week summer camps are raved about. You don’t have to spend a year of Notre Dame tuition to be part of the experience like a regular student. And each Sunday afternoon in the summer they have an amazing military-style parade that much of Maxinkuckee residents come out to watch (or so they used to). 

As for wrestling, I would say it would be extremely hard to find many elite wrestling families that can afford that price tag. The rich and wrestling are rarely synonymous. So, there has to be a massive academic financial assistance plan if they are going to sustain anything. 

Edited by IndianaWrestlingGuy1

To build a little upon @IndianaWrestlingGuy's post, Culver is a beautiful college like campus. Half of the buildings bear a Steinbrenner name..aka the Yankees owner. If you are ever in the area go check out the campus as it is usually fairly open. 

The education, obviously at $55,000 a year, is top notch and very hard to match not only in Indiana, but the country. 

Their IHSAA sports come and go in waves depending upon recruiting students, yes I said recruiting. Private and parochial schools must recruit students or they will shut their doors. If the travel rules in Indiana change I could see it benefiting a school like Culver immensely has they have the money and backing to support travel throughout the country. 

If you look at many of the top ranked high school wrestling teams they are private or parochial schools, thus they get kids from all over. Blair and Wyoming Seminary are just as expensive as Culver. Culver could very well compete at their level if the travel rules change or if they would go to National Preps(not sure if they could technically).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.