Brennen Cernus Transfer

purdue02

18 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Tuition is $55k/year. I don’t know the Cernus family financial position, but the aid these families receive is certainly a factor in attending Culver. It is the same problem the Indy private’s face, but on steroids. 

I doubt that was the issue. Wyoming Sem. Is one of the top prep schools for wrestling in the country, so it seems likely this was an opportunity move. No knock on Culver but that's a different level.

7 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Soooo if my math is correct that is $220,000 spent on just a high school education. 

That’s assuming they would be paying full price.  Are options available to reduce that cost?  I’m sure the price is still high, but more appealing to perspective applicants. 

Shared a few beers with his father and grandfather a few hours before his state championship.  Great couple of men.  They were very open about Brennen's past issues with authority figures, and hoped Culver would wake him up.  His dad said without the great amount of grants they were awarded they could never afford Culver.

Good luck to that young man.  Has all the talent in the world, hopefully he realizes it before it's too late.

I'm Brennen's father. I received a text from a parent who's son attends Culver regarding this post and the comments made by AdamscoBuschhh. Just to clear the air you don't know me and we never met prior to the finals. I have no idea who you are or why you felt obligated to completely fabricate a post like this. We were in our hotel room between the break prior to finals and my dad doesn't even drink. Anyone that has been around my son knows that he is a quiet, respectful, and focused young man that is a hard worker. I truly feel sorry for you that you would make false statements aimed at a 15yr. old, its pathetic. My name is TJ Cernus, I'd like to know your real name as well. Moving forward, feel free to contact me directly so you can direct your false statements towards me rather than my son. Culver is not a military academy for kids with disciplinary issues. Any one with half a brain would already know this. If they did they would be gone in less than a month, the school has zero tolerance for this. It has military structure however it is not what would be considered rigid. Wyoming Seminary was initially our first school of choice last year prior to enrolling at Culver. We ended up choosing Culver because it was much closer to home and there were a few other families that we are friends with whose son's were also attending. We left Culver because the head coach was not what he portrayed himself or the program to be. There was no direction for the program. It was very unorganized, undisciplined, and there was a severe lack of technical coaching ability. Josh Harper was later added to the staff, he was the reason we decided to stay this past year. Josh was solid, he was intense, a good motivator, and he was there to make everyone better, he cared. Culver is an excellent academic academy and we were disappointed to leave. It was not an easy decision. Academics are our top priority and we expected to have a good balance with wrestling as well, unfortunately that was not the case.

1prouddad, thank you for your comment, we greatly appreciate it. 

Indiana puts on a great state tournament and we were proud to be able to be a part of it. My son and our family received an outpouring of support from complete strangers during the course of the season and this is rare. Indiana is very much like Ohio, the wrestling community is a pretty tight knit group that for the most part supports one another. There were numerous people who congratulated Brennen and our family after the finals that were genuinely happy for him. This will be an experience that we will never forget. Thank you Indiana. Best of luck.

15 hours ago, CoachTJC said:

I'm Brennen's father. I received a text from a parent who's son attends Culver regarding this post and the comments made by AdamscoBuschhh. Just to clear the air you don't know me and we never met prior to the finals. I have no idea who you are or why you felt obligated to completely fabricate a post like this. We were in our hotel room between the break prior to finals and my dad doesn't even drink. Anyone that has been around my son knows that he is a quiet, respectful, and focused young man that is a hard worker. I truly feel sorry for you that you would make false statements aimed at a 15yr. old, its pathetic. My name is TJ Cernus, I'd like to know your real name as well. Moving forward, feel free to contact me directly so you can direct your false statements towards me rather than my son. Culver is not a military academy for kids with disciplinary issues. Any one with half a brain would already know this. If they did they would be gone in less than a month, the school has zero tolerance for this. It has military structure however it is not what would be considered rigid. Wyoming Seminary was initially our first school of choice last year prior to enrolling at Culver. We ended up choosing Culver because it was much closer to home and there were a few other families that we are friends with whose son's were also attending. We left Culver because the head coach was not what he portrayed himself or the program to be. There was no direction for the program. It was very unorganized, undisciplined, and there was a severe lack of technical coaching ability. Josh Harper was later added to the staff, he was the reason we decided to stay this past year. Josh was solid, he was intense, a good motivator, and he was there to make everyone better, he cared. Culver is an excellent academic academy and we were disappointed to leave. It was not an easy decision. Academics are our top priority and we expected to have a good balance with wrestling as well, unfortunately that was not the case.

1prouddad, thank you for your comment, we greatly appreciate it. 

Indiana puts on a great state tournament and we were proud to be able to be a part of it. My son and our family received an outpouring of support from complete strangers during the course of the season and this is rare. Indiana is very much like Ohio, the wrestling community is a pretty tight knit group that for the most part supports one another. There were numerous people who congratulated Brennen and our family after the finals that were genuinely happy for him. This will be an experience that we will never forget. Thank you Indiana. Best of luck.

You must have an imposter.  I was there with my wife and she talked more than I did.  I apologize but I'm not sure how that's possible.  Yet again, in this sick world, anything is.

Well...I don’t know the stories, but I do know the school was called CMA for the longest time, which stands for Culver Military Academy.  I’ve only got a quarter of a brain...sorry...and you just bashed (PUBLICLY) on a head coach and a program.  Not cool.  Do that in a garage somewhere with your  buddies...not publicly.  

I am sorry that I’ve edited this post multiple times, but I want to to be classy.  I hope your son does extremely well and wins some huge titles, but I just don’t think public bashing is appropriate towards a coach, or his program.  Best of luck in the future endeavors!

Edited by nkraus

On 7/9/2019 at 1:11 AM, nkraus said:

Well...I don’t know the stories, but I do know the school was called CMA for the longest time, which stands for Culver Military Academy.  I’ve only got a quarter of a brain...sorry...and you just bashed (PUBLICLY) on a head coach and a program.  Not cool.  Do that in a garage somewhere with your  buddies...not publicly.  

I am sorry that I’ve edited this post multiple times, but I want to to be classy.  I hope your son does extremely well and wins some huge titles, but I just don’t think public bashing is appropriate towards a coach, or his program.  Best of luck in the future endeavors!

This is quite a strong opinion for someone who admittedly doesn't have any knowledge of the facts or circumstances. I responded to the post regarding an inaccurate comment about my son and clarified why we left Culver to set the record straight and diffuse any additional ridiculous rumors being circulated. This is nowhere near bashing, it is not a loosely formed opinion, it was a personal experience along with others who are not returning. Had we not been misled in the first place, we would have had a completely different expectation level to base our decision to attend upon and this situation would have never occurred. Titles are irrelevant, the type of person my son is and the character of those he's surrounded by is far more important. Furthermore I'm not seeking anyone's approval of my explanation. Although I could have, I specifically did not elaborate with additional details. You can take it however you want but "bashing" was not my objective. I'm simply stating the facts.

14 minutes ago, CoachTJC said:

This is quite a strong opinion for someone who admittedly doesn't have any knowledge of the facts or circumstances. I responded to the post regarding an inaccurate comment about my son and clarified why we left Culver to set the record straight and diffuse any additional ridiculous rumors being circulated. This is nowhere near bashing, it is not a loosely formed opinion, it was a personal experience along with others who are not returning. Had we not been misled in the first place, we would have had a completely different expectation level to base our decision to attend upon and this situation would have never occurred. Titles are irrelevant, the type of person my son is and the character of those he's surrounded by is far more important. Furthermore I'm not seeking anyone's approval of my explanation. Although I could have, I specifically did not elaborate with additional details. You can take it however you want but "bashing" was not my objective. I'm simply stating the facts.

Just curious at what point is it considered "bashing?" For example, Goldman (former IU coach) got "bashed" all the time- whatever that term even means. Is it acceptable because he is a college coach? My assumption is it cannot be based on compensation since I suspect a majority of high school coaches are compensated in some capacity- even though that compensation is likely inconsequential since teachers and coaches are widely underappreciated and underpaid. 

It seems as though we live in a society that is thin skinned and really takes any form of critique as "bashing."

Coach TJC seemed to present a reasonable explanation without naming specifics a fair and appropriate response.

Edited by SunDevils
grammar

5 hours ago, SunDevils said:

Just curious at what point is it considered "bashing?" For example, Goldman (former IU coach) got "bashed" all the time- whatever that term even means. Is it acceptable because he is a college coach? My assumption is it cannot be based on compensation since I suspect a majority of high school coaches are compensated in some capacity- even though that compensation is likely inconsequential since teachers and coaches are widely underappreciated and underpaid. 

It seems as though we live in a society that is thin skinned and really takes any form of critique as "bashing."

Coach TJC seemed to present a reasonable explanation without naming specifics a fair and appropriate response.

You will never see me bash another high school coach (maybe Joe)  or a wrestler publicly on this forum.  I have steered away from it since the beginning.  With that said this is a little bit of a fair point.  I have been critical of Goldman in the past.  But.... Culver and other private schools that can openly recruit with tuition incentives may be another story since they are almost like colleges.  I will have to ponder that one.   

14 hours ago, aoberlin said:

You will never see me bash another high school coach (maybe Joe)  or a wrestler publicly on this forum.  I have steered away from it since the beginning.  With that said this is a little bit of a fair point.  I have been critical of Goldman in the past.  But.... Culver and other private schools that can openly recruit with tuition incentives may be another story since they are almost like colleges.  I will have to ponder that one.   

I agree with you wholeheartedly no student-athlete should ever be demeaned or dehumanized, one would think that is self-evident but among some posters it clearly is not. And I would agree that no coach should be demeaned or dehumanized. However, my question was genuinely one of intrigue what constitutes "bashing?" For example, I see nothing wrong saying that there were different philosophies, that expectations were unmet based on previous conversations, or that they believe they can find more suitable coaching elsewhere.

If I were to define "bashing" (I am open to revision and new ideas) it would be unfair critique that doesn't involve wrestling in any capacity and attacks a coach or student personally (i.e. posting on a board that an athlete has "issues with authority)."

Edited by SunDevils

45 minutes ago, SunDevils said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly no student-athlete should ever be demeaned or dehumanized, one would think that is self-evident but among some posters it clearly is not. And I would agree that no coach should be demeaned or dehumanized. However, my question was genuinely one of intrigue what constitutes "bashing?" For example, I see nothing wrong saying that there were different philosophies, that expectations were unmet based on previous conversations, or that they believe they can find more suitable coaching elsewhere.

If I were to define "bashing" (I am open to revision and new ideas) it would be unfair critique that doesn't involve wrestling in any capacity and attacks a coach or student personally (i.e. posting on a board that an athlete has "issues with authority)."

Just the part where he said the program didn’t have direction, unorganized, undisciplined, and had a severe lack in technical coaching ability.  I thought that could’ve been left out.  

18 minutes ago, nkraus said:

Just the part where he said the program didn’t have direction, unorganized, undisciplined, and had a severe lack in technical coaching ability.  I thought that could’ve been left out.  

Harsh or not, I’m glad he said. As an intrigued bystander, I have been very curious why guys like Cernus, Donahue, and Bryant would come and go so quickly. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.