Thoughts and Prayers Needed for Alabama Wrestlers

SWINfan

Not a ton of details, but a van carrying wrestlers from Warrior Wrestling Club in Calera, AL crashed and rolled over on their way to Disney for the AAU Scholastic Duals.  Nine passengers were taken to Montgomery area hospitals, one with serious injuries.  It was reported there were multiple ejections.

I'm not sure how many vans the club had going down, the the club's statement below.  I don't know the Warrior Wrestling Club but I am assuming it is where wrestlers from Thompson HS in Alabaster train.  Alabaster and Calera border each other.  The Thompson Warriors are Alabama's dominant wrestling program, winning both the team and individual State Tournaments in 2019, including 5 individual state titlists.  The best known nationally is Sam Latona who will be wrestling at VA Tech next year.  There has been no names or specific injury information released.

“Earlier today a group of wrestlers from AL and TN headed south to compete in the AAU Scholastic Duals at Disney. During the drive down one of the vans was involved in an accident. All parents have been informed. With respect to the parents and wrestlers we will not be disclosing any names or injuries. All we ask is for your prayers.”

https://www.wsfa.com/2019/06/17/church-bus-crashes-overturns-us-montgomery-county/

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2019/06/9-taken-to-montgomery-area-hospitals-after-passenger-van-overturns-on-us-231.html

5 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I know of a kid that spent a year wrestling in Indiana that was on the bus. He is fine, but not sure of the others. Really scary incident especially with many teams heading that way.

That's why I posted it, with so many teams from Indiana heading down.  Not to scare, but just as a reminder to be careful and to support the wrestling community as a whole.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.