Freestyle State by the numbers

Mattyb

The ISWA combined all age groups into one weekend in 2011. The girls were entered separate starting in 2012. Here are the participants since that change:

2011- 882 (girls included)

2012- 791 + 26 girls

2013- 814 + 24 girls

2014- 787 + 26 girls

2015- 647 + 29 girls

2016- 616 + 11 girls

2017- 713 + 28 girls

2018- 810 + 57 girls

2019- ???? 

2019 Numbers not final. I am guessing that we will have walk ups. Should be another nice bump in the numbers. Still time to sign up and walk up. As of 9:50 pm the totals have surpassed last years. 

8 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The only numbers that are growing are the ones from the West side of Indianapolis, all others are either stagnant or dropping.

If you look at the clubs and academies here in Hendricks County, we got 115 wrestlers signed up for freestyle. That number is in fact growing. 

With that said, Perry is still bringing it, lots of Warren kids wrestling, the Evansville guys and the Regions guys are bringing it too! 

16 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

If you look at the clubs and academies here in Hendricks County, we got 115 wrestlers signed up for freestyle. That number is in fact growing. 

With that said, Perry is still bringing it, lots of Warren kids wrestling, the Evansville guys and the Regions guys are bringing it too! 

False

The Northwest is bringing 13 more kids from last year. The west central side of the state is bringing 41 more kids. The east central area is down 13, northeast area is down 5, and southern hemisphere is up 3 wrestlers.

Like I said the only area that is growing is the westside.

57 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

False

The Northwest is bringing 13 more kids from last year. The west central side of the state is bringing 41 more kids. The east central area is down 13, northeast area is down 5, and southern hemisphere is up 3 wrestlers.

Like I said the only area that is growing is the westside.

Marion County is included in your definition of Westside? 

2 minutes ago, TripleB said:

Need a Y2 weekend series...... 

Y2 Gorilla Freestyle Series

Man someday I'm gonna run Nuway and ISWA out of here w/ my great tourney ideas. 

We have been talking about having a weeknight event or two. Maybe two in the same day, one starts at 8am, the other at noon and you get both qualifiers done in one day!

1 minute ago, TripleB said:

Need a Y2 weekend series...... 

Y2 Gorilla Freestyle Series

Man someday I'm gonna run Nuway and ISWA out of here w/ my great tourney ideas. 

Is Hyway still a thing? I know back in The day we went to Hyway state. My two guys that I took won it. They ran out of medals and gave them both a bronze with no ribbon on it. One of my guys was Quinn Harris. You can only imagine middle school Quinns reaction. It was classic. After that, we never did another Hyway deal. 

2 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Is Hyway still a thing? I know back in The day we went to Hyway state. My two guys that I took won it. They ran out of medals and gave them both a bronze with no ribbon on it. One of my guys was Quinn Harris. You can only imagine middle school Quinns reaction. It was classic. After that, we never did another Hyway deal. 

HYWAY is still going, but it's not a threat any more. Their state finals is in early April. They have little impact on freestyle numbers.

37 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

See the graphic above of the ISWA regions.

Can’t read map, not from Indiana originally, but looks like westernmost County on the map is Hancock?

Indy eastsiders hackles will likely raise when being referred to as westside. 😂

2 hours ago, graham said:

Can’t read map, not from Indiana originally, but looks like westernmost County on the map is Hancock?

Indy eastsiders hackles will likely raise when being referred to as westside. 😂

You can scroll down here to see what counties are in what region.
https://www.iswa.com/page/show/3228710-find-a-club-in-your-area

The eastsiders will get over it, if not I ain't afraid of them. 

9 hours ago, Cosgrove said:

God I remember seeing bracket of 65 78 kids in state bracket while being In vertical pairing. Good ole Indiana state fair grounds.

My last Cadet year I had 64 at my weight with vertical brackets.  The multiple sheets posted on the wall just seemed to go on forever. But that was in the late-90’s when freestyle was still going pretty strong.  It was a long two days, but at least you could say you won a fair share of matches in order to place unlike some of the brackets lately.  

Edited by MattM

On 5/3/2019 at 9:51 AM, TripleB said:

Region 2 needs to up their game!!!!

Man it's to bad Region 2 doesnt have someone that can get info out to the masses to promote the sport.   Maybe if someone up in that area could start a webpage or something?!

7 hours ago, tskin said:

Man it's to bad Region 2 doesnt have someone that can get info out to the masses to promote the sport.   Maybe if someone up in that area could start a webpage or something?!

We host the following events at Carroll High School throughout the year
IHPO(600+ kids)
Winter Middle School Event(150 kids)
High School Super Dual
Sectional
Regional
Middle School Invitational
Spring tournament for all ages(400+ kids)

We have plenty of events to host, I'm sorry we don't meet your needs for promoting the sport in the area. There aren't too many schools that host as many events as we do. Maybe the other 45 clubs in the region could host a couple events.

Note: You also don't see me using the website accounts to promote Carroll events, they follow the same rules as everyone else. I created the website and social media accounts to promote all wrestling in the state and not just Carroll or formerly Garrett.

16 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

We host the following events at Carroll High School throughout the year
IHPO(600+ kids)
Winter Middle School Event(150 kids)
High School Super Dual
Sectional
Regional
Middle School Invitational
Spring tournament for all ages(400+ kids)

We have plenty of events to host, I'm sorry we don't meet your needs for promoting the sport in the area. There aren't too many schools that host as many events as we do. Maybe the other 45 clubs in the region could host a couple events.

Note: You also don't see me using the website accounts to promote Carroll events, they follow the same rules as everyone else. I created the website and social media accounts to promote all wrestling in the state and not just Carroll or formerly Garrett.

If only someone up in that region could take a joke haha

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.