US Open - Yianni puts on a show!

How impressive was Cornell sophomore Yianni Diakomahalis at the US Open?

He runs the a murderers row of Frank Molinaro, Jordan Oliver and Zain Retherford to win the title. His ability to turn an opponents attack into a scoring opportunity was just incredible. Now the question becomes who will fight their way back to challenge him at the WTT?

After the match against Oliver, I gave him a chance against Retherford, but thought Zain would have too much - I was definitely proven wrong!

Also impressive was Daton Fix taking out Thomas Gilman, Bo Nickal winning his weight class, and Northwestern wrestler Ryan Deakin beating world team member James Green on a last second score

The World Team Trials are May 17-19 in North Carolina.  Should be some excellent rematches!

I was of the same opinion. I thought Retherford would be too much for Diakomahalis, but boy was I wrong. None of his wins were flukes. He showed he is the real deal. I was very impressed with him at NCAAs, but this just takes him to an even higher level in my mind.

Excellent showing from Yianni. 65kg has been an problem weight for us internationally for some time. Going forward, I like Yianni's chances to change that. That said, the most impressive US Open result was Deakin taking out two time world medalist Green.

On 5/7/2019 at 9:58 AM, wrestlenewbie said:

Wow, wow, wow. Scoring on his offense, scoring on his defense and taking out the world number 1 is so impressive. He looks better in freestyle than he looked at the NCAA tourney. And he looked darn good at the NCAA tourney.

he can open up his arsenal a lot more in fs.. hes a scrambling wizard. 

On 5/6/2019 at 8:24 PM, Thor said:

Holy cow, anyone see Yianni at Beat the Streets? He’s about to be the new face of the sport 

I’ve followed him from several years ago. I’ve always been amazed at how well he controls the matches. Never loses his composure and is always one step ahead of his opponent. I knew from years ago that he was gonna be something special. 

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely thought it was Zain's move. Yianni just wrapped the chest and went with it. The camera from the other side of the mat illustrates the sequence much clearer, IMO. Ultimately, the correct call was made. Sucks it's all become such a mess. No way in the world would I take on reffing a high level FS bout.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 5:41 PM, B. Alan said:

Definitely thought it was Zain's move. Yianni just wrapped the chest and went with it. The camera from the other side of the mat illustrates the sequence much clearer, IMO. Ultimately, the correct call was made. Sucks it's all become such a mess. No way in the world would I take on reffing a high level FS bout.

I agree about not wanting to be in the position to make that call, but I felt like Zain had reached a point of limited progression. Not that retherford wasn't continuing to work, but it appears Yanni makes it his move. Maybe the other angle shows it differently but from my estimation it was Yanni's points. That's always going to be an issue when so much is dependent on a referees opinion.