IHSAA Board of Directors Agenda Notes

Y2CJ41

I always like to look at IHSAA minutes and such and came across this with some interesting tidbits....

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about ihsaa/2019 Board of Directors Agenda.pdf?timestamp=1555440462035

9. RULE 10 – INTERSTATE CONTESTS AND PRACTICES REQUIRING SPECIAL ATTENTION
10-1 Out-of-State Contest Limitations Page 41
The address of out-of-state schools participating in a Contest against a member School as well as the site of such Contests must be within Six-hundred (600)can be an unlimited number of miles round trip travel from the Indiana state line and shall be sponsored or co-sponsored by a member high School.

Propose amendment made by the IHSAA Commissioner, on behalf of the Pocket Athletic Conference (Forest Park, Heritage Hills, Pike Central, South Spencer, Tell City, Gibson Southern, North Posey, Southridge and Tecumseh).

Translation: No more travel restrictions.

2. RULE 1 – RULE COVERAGE
1-3 Championship Tournament Series Page 17
A championship tournament series will be provided at such time as Fifty Thirty percent (30%) of the total, full Membership Schools are participating in that sport at the same time of the year and it is recommended by the Commissioner.

Proposed amendment made by Dave Worland, Principal, Cathedral High School, and Mark Preston, Principal, Lafayette Jefferson High School.

Translation: With about 80 schools having girls wrestling this year at the state finals we only need about 90 for the sport to be sponsored by the IHSAA. 

Other Notes
Potential changes to the definition of a "boundary" for private/parochial schools.

Addition of a multiplier(1.65) for classification of private/parochial schools. For instance if Cathedral has 500 students, for classification purposes they would have 825.

Addition of individual sports to the Limited Contact Program. This means more restrictions on Open Mats and preseason conditioning programs at schools.

Proposal to basically give a free transfer to a student if they transfer before they are a sophomore.

Wow that first one is really big news - but I'm not sure it really translates to "no travel restrictions"

What does the line "shall be sponsored or co-sponsored by a member high School" mean?

Also, great for girls - let's hope they can surpass that minimum number and launch a true state championship!

The "member high school" part means the host must be a member of their state association. Basically it means Carroll basketball couldn't attend an event called the Nike World Classic and solely sponsored by Nike. I believe our IHSWCA Team State gets a little bit of a pass as I do remember that potentially being an issue since it's sponsored and basically hosted by the association and not a member school.

The only caveat that might add an interesting wrinkle is prep schools associated with National Preps. I believe California made a rule that limits the ability for their schools to participate against Prep type schools, but don't know the exact details of it.

Doing some research on the past Board of Directors proposals and acceptance rates is very interesting. Last year they only voted against one proposal and that was from the soccer coaches. In 2017 they voted against a handful of proposals, but they were all in reference to the Limited Contact Program that was modified at a later date. Previous to that it seems it is about a 50/50 rate of proposals passing. There are some that do not pass that seem a tad off the wall that are obviously going to be rejected.

I also find it interesting that it's a small school conference in southern Indiana that is making this proposal. It seems this would be proposed by bigger Indy area schools like Carmel(for swimming), Warren Central(for football), or any of the basketball powers.

42 minutes ago, AJ said:

So, does this mean these things are a done deal?

By no means NO, the proposals here are mainly from AD's, principals, and athletic conferences which give them a little more chance of passing than from the IHSWCA. A few of the proposals on the agenda have been voted down in previous years so I doubt they will pass this year.

Here is an article that talks about some of the proposals.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/04/25/ihsaa-likely-pass-football-mercy-rule-suspend-ejected-fans-1-game/3497510002/

It doesn't sound like the travel rule will pass according to Bobby Cox. It also seems the rule about 30% of the schools sponsoring a sport was for boys volleyball.

18 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Here is an article that talks about some of the proposals.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/04/25/ihsaa-likely-pass-football-mercy-rule-suspend-ejected-fans-1-game/3497510002/

It doesn't sound like the travel rule will pass according to Bobby Cox. 

I settle for them just taking out the part that says teams that can’t compete against anyone outside that travel zone.  It keeps the IN teams travel limited which Is somewhat for good reason. But it still allows any other states teams to compete against our teams if a school is willing to travel with within our range.  Any possibility of that compromise being brought up, or would a completely new proposal have to be presented for them to discuss that? 

And on the wrestling side of things

Proposal 1: As long as a wrestler has weighed in at their allotted weight class as determined by the weight management system, it will be considered a qualifying weigh‐in.

A motion for approval was made by Tim Grove; seconded by Jim Brown; motion failed 0‐19.

Proposal 2: Change the date of the two‐pound growth allowance from January 1st to December 25th.

A motion for approval was made by Ed Gilliland; seconded by Stacy Adams; motion approved 19‐0.

Proposal 3: To add girls wrestling as an IHSAA sport by the 2020‐21 season.

A motion to table this proposal for further study was made by Ed Gilliland; seconded by John Steinhilber; motion approved 19‐0.

3 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

And on the wrestling side of things

Proposal 1: As long as a wrestler has weighed in at their allotted weight class as determined by the weight management system, it will be considered a qualifying weigh‐in.

A motion for approval was made by Tim Grove; seconded by Jim Brown; motion failed 0‐19.

Proposal 2: Change the date of the two‐pound growth allowance from January 1st to December 25th.

A motion for approval was made by Ed Gilliland; seconded by Stacy Adams; motion approved 19‐0.

Proposal 3: To add girls wrestling as an IHSAA sport by the 2020‐21 season.

A motion to table this proposal for further study was made by Ed Gilliland; seconded by John Steinhilber; motion approved 19‐0.

Proposal 1 is such a common sense move.  

I'm glad Proposal 2 was added......that seems like a positive change.

How long will the further study take, on Proposal 3?

2 minutes ago, infowrestling said:

Proposal 1 is such a common sense move.  

I'm glad Proposal 2 was added......that seems like a positive change.

How long will the further study take, on Proposal 3?

In response to #1, I saw a tweet by the NFHS last week that mentioned some tweaks in the system. Not sure what they were, but have yet to find any documentation. 

I think #3 was tabled mainly due to the 30% thing that was voted on earlier in the meeting. My educated guess is they didn't want to approve it and face backlash from volleyball or lacrosse when they do the math that there are only 100 schools with girls wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.