NCAA Championships - Day 3 (Placements & Finals)

I am beginning to agree that a 3rd official should do the review at the NCAA.  I know they won't do that in dual meets, but for conference and national tournaments, it should done that way.  Very few calls are overturned.  I think the referees that made the call have it in their head and aren't looking at it from a fresh perspective.  JMO

4 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I am beginning to agree that a 3rd official should do the review at the NCAA.  I know they won't do that in dual meets, but for conference and national tournaments, it should done that way.  Very few calls are overturned.  I think the referees that made the call have it in their head and aren't looking at it from a fresh perspective.  JMO

I’d be good with a 2 of 3 decision if it was made quickly.   Ref, assistant ref, and an independent video review ref.  Kinda like they do in freestyle.  

Edited by MattM

Zahid is a little bit of a big moment gamer that seems to put on his best performance in front of the big crowd.  I’d like to see Red follow a similar path of stepping up most night and then finding a way to grow from his couple defeats along the way in order to be at top form by the big show. 

2 minutes ago, MattM said:

Is he good with a 2 of 3 decision if it was made quickly.   Ref, assistant ref, and an independent video review ref.  Kinda like they do in freestyle.  

I'd be good with that.  Great match with Hall and Valencia as expected.  Not that it matters, but what's your guess on Zahid's walking around weight?  He has always looked huge to me.

10 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I'd be good with that.  Great match with Hall and Valencia as expected.  Not that it matters, but what's your guess on Zahid's walking around weight?  He has always looked huge to me.

What’s crazy to me was watching Zahid wrestle as a scrawny 106 stating HS and then grow into a monster of a  174lber now. I think he was 132 for his HS senior year. He could definitely move up to 184 after his OLympic Redshirt next year. 

Edited by MattM

13 minutes ago, MattM said:

What’s crazy to me was watching Zahid wrestle as a scrawny 106 stating HS and then grow into a monster of a  174lber now. I think he was 132 for his HS senior year. He could definitely move up to 184 after his OLympic Redshirt next year. 

He beat Nick Lee twice to win a Fargo Cadet Freestyle title in 2013 at 126.  He actually hit his growth spurt between his Jr and Sr years, winning a CA State Title at 132 in 2014 and jumped to win another as a senior at 182 in 2015.  That's a helluva one year jump, not to mention winning a single class state title in CA doing so!

3 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

He beat Nick Lee twice to win a Fargo Cadet Freestyle title in 2013 at 126.  He actually hit his growth spurt between his Jr and Sr years, winning a CA State Title at 132 in 2014 and jumped to win another as a senior at 182 in 2015.  That's a helluva one year jump, not to mention winning a single class state title in CA doing so!

Ok so 132 was his junior year.  Make me feel a little better about the extreme weight jump to college.   He was part of that early Monster Garage/St. Bosco crew that once included Aaron Pico.  

Time for Bo to close the show.... Let's hope for some fireworks from the Blue Hair!

A side note, I think this was mentioned earlier in the season, but Bo's dad moved the family to Kentucky and took the Head Coaching job at McCracken Co.  They come up and wrestled at the Mater Dei  where they beat Jeffersonville and lost to MD, Avon and Bloomington South.  Didn't see a result against Castle.

7 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Time for Bo to close the show.... Let's hope for some fireworks from the Blue Hair!

A side note, I think this was mentioned earlier in the season, but Bo's dad moved the family to Kentucky and took the Head Coaching job at McCracken Co.  They come up and wrestled at the Mater Dei  where they beat Jeffersonville and lost to MD, Avon and Bloomington South.  Didn't see a result against Castle.

BORING

7 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Didn’t know that one.  Thanks for the info.  

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

That seems to be the consensus, but I’ve heard from Flo several times that 174 is pretty natural and an easy weight for Zahid. It’s Mark that has a big cut down. 

6 hours ago, Thor said:

That seems to be the consensus, but I’ve heard from Flo several times that 174 is pretty natural and an easy weight for Zahid. It’s Mark that has a big cut down. 

But somehow Zahid always look like he has 10 pounds on Hall. That short, explosive trunk with long limbs, a la Jordan Burroughs, is about the most ideal physique you could ask for in wrestling.

Edited by maligned

Most likely Olympic redshirts? 

Lee?

Yianni?

Hall?

Zahid?

Gable?

Micic?

Fix? 

Lee and Yianni have the best chance to make the Olympic team. Tough sledding in the middle/upper weights with guys like Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, Cox, Snyder. Will be fun to throw Nolf and Bo in the mix. Also guys like McKenna, Eierman, etc

1 hour ago, navy80 said:

Where do Lee and Parris go from here? Do they redshirt? When is an ideal time for them ton redshirt?

Can Red and Micic take an Olympic redshirt still? If so, will they?

Don’t believe Red qualifies 

from an article on Flo:

Just two months out from the 2019 NCAA championships, we now have an added layer of intrigue as the Olympic Redshirt criteria have been released.

Let's first take a look at the criteria:

1. Past national team members (top three from the World or Olympic Team Trials)
  2. Top eight at the 2019 Senior U.S. Open
  3. Top three at the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championship; or NCAA champion from a previous year AND top two from the 2019 U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both).
  4. Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 world medalist

Obviously, no one has yet met criterion No. 2 and No. 3 as NCAAs and the U.S. Open haven't occurred for this year. But, who's already met items No. 1 and No. 4, meaning they can apply for an Olympic redshirt to miss the 2019-20 NCAA season?

Qualifiers of No. 1 - Past national team members (top three from the World or Olympic Team Trials)

Mason Manville, Penn State - 2017 Greco-Roman World Team Member at 75kg

Nick Reenan, NC State - 2018 National Team, second place at 86kg

Jaydin Eierman, Missouri - 2018 National Team, third place at 65kg

Tate Orndorff, Utah Valley - 2018 National Team, third place at 130k (Greco)

Qualifiers of No. 4 - Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 World Medalist

Jordan Wood, Lehigh - silver medal, 2014 Cadet World Championships

Owen Webster, Minnesota - bronze medal, 2015 Cadet World Championships

Jarod Verkleeren, Penn State - gold medal, 2015 Cadet World Championships

Yianni Diakomihalis, Cornell - gold medal, 2015 Cadet World Championships

Spencer Lee, Iowa - gold medal, 2016 Junior World Championships

Mark Hall, Penn State - gold medal, 2016 Junior World Championships

Daton Fix, Oklahoma State - bronze medal, 2016 Junior World Championships

Taylor LaMont, Utah Valley - bronze medal, 2016 Junior World Championships (Greco)

Travis Wittlake, Oklahoma State - bronze medal, 2016 Cadet World Championships

Jacob Warner, Iowa - bronze medal, 2016 Cadet World Championships

Kurt McHenry, Michigan - gold medal, 2016 Cadet World Championships

David Carr, Iowa State - bronze medal, 2016 Cadet World Championships

Vito Arujau, Cornell - silver medal, 2016 Cadet World Championships

Mitch McKee, Minnesota - silver medal, 2017 Junior World Championships

Ryan Deakin, Northwestern - silver medal, 2017 Junior World Championships

Zahid Valencia, Arizona State - silver medal, 2017 Junior World Championships

Kollin Moore, Ohio State - bronze medal, 2017 Junior World Championships

Gable Steveson, Minnesota - gold medal, 2017 Junior World Championships

Cevion Severado, Missouri - silver medal, 2017 Junior World Championships (Greco)

Jacori Teemer, Arizona State - bronze medal, 2017 Cadet World Championships

Will Lewan, Michigan - gold medal, 2017 Cadet World Championships

Daniel Gregory Kerkvliet, Ohio State - gold medal, 2017 Cadet World Championships

Aaron Brooks, Penn State - gold medal, 2017 Cadet World Championships

Gavin Hoffman, Ohio State - bronze medal, 2017 Cadet World Championships

Cohlton Schultz, Arizona State - bronze medal, 2018 Junior World Championships (Greco)

Andrew Berreyesa, Cornell - silver medal, 2018 Junior World Championships (Greco)

Zach Elam, Missouri - silver medal, 2018 Junior World Championships

Mekhi Lewis, Virginia Tech - gold medal, 2018 Junior World Championships

Brady Berge, Penn State - bronze medal, 2018 Junior World Championships

Abe Assad, Iowa - bronze medal, 2018 Cadet World Championships

Matt Ramos, Minnesota - gold medal, 2018 Cadet World Championships

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Can Micic take another year off? He already has two redshirt years. I see Yianni taking a shirt for sure, Eierman already is. Next year could be Lee and Reds big chance to get a title. 

I don't believe Micic can take another year.  I'm thinking one of his two years off was already an Olympic....

3 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I'm still not understanding #1 in that list....   

Does Nick Lee qualify based on his 2nd Place finish at the 2016 Junior World Team Trials?  The list doesn't specify specific years...

I believe that first one is only for senior level