NCAA Championships - Day 3 (Placements & Finals)

McKenna is really good with the hands... both setting up his shots and preventing shots

Crazy scramble there....  Thought Yianni could have gotten the TD but not swipes for points.  Call and review says no TD and no points for either

Edited by SWINfan

Not sure Yanni realizes he was given 2 near the end of regulation.  Dove off of McKenna when it seemed like he had his legs in enough to hold on. 

Edited by MattM

2 minutes ago, MattM said:

Not sure Yanni realizes he was given 2.  Dove off of McKenna when it seemed like he had his legs in enough to hold on. 

Not sure Yianni should have gotten the two.... Damn, there have been some close, tough calls!

Yianni gets the TD off the scramble in SV!   He's just so good at scrambling and turning crazy spots into points.

30 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Now I remember the Suriano-Fix match from earlier this season....  same as tonight.  Boring as hell....

It should be.... I was surprised at how much Hall dominated their meeting earlier this year.  Don't expect the same tonight.

Can’t blame that on Suriano. Fix backed up the whole time and was lucky to have had a couple more stalls called on him. Then Coach Smith was looking at every angle to get a cheap win. 

6 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Stepped away for a second.  How did Jordan get a point in the 1st period with both still neutral?  Hands to the face?

Had the same problem, had to check on one of my children.  That would be my guess too. 

8 minutes ago, MattM said:

Worth noting Ashnault was lucky to get this extra medical year based on previous injuries cutting some previous seasons short. Glad he’s able to make the most of it. 

Penn State is hoping/expecting to get the same 6th year for Cassar and Rasheed next year

4 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Penn State is hoping/expecting to get the same 6th year for Cassar and Rasheed next year

Yes they are especially with losing the other seniors, plus possibly a starter or two to a Olympic Redshirt year.  

2 minutes ago, MattM said:

Yes they are especially with losing the other seniors, plus possibly a starter or two to a Olympic Redshirt year.  

Yep, and gaining a nice crop of newcomers that have been in PA this year working out, but not yet enrolled.....  Aaron Brooks, Michael Beard, Seth Nevills, Joe Lee along with recruits Stariocci and Howard.  Also, Kyle Conel from Kent St is seeking a 6th year and is planning on going to Penn State if he gets it.  And most thought they were dead with the departure of Taylor and Ruth....    

7 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Yep, and gaining a nice crop of newcomers that have been in PA this year working out, but not yet enrolled.....  Aaron Brooks, Michael Beard, Seth Nevills, Joe Lee along with recruits Stariocci and Howard.  Also, Kyle Conel from Kent St is seeking a 6th year and is planning on going to Penn State if he gets it.  And most thought they were dead with the departure of Taylor and Ruth....    

Yeah the “grey shirt” group will help since they are getting some additional college room seasoning.  But that still a younger group with some college growing pains to get through even if they are at the penn state talent level. It will be interesting where they put some people and who ends up with a regular redshirt.  But if it doesn’t all fall into place with the extra year guys, a down year for PSU at this point is still likely a top 5 finish. 

Edited by MattM

6 minutes ago, MattM said:

Yeah the “grey shirt” group will help since that are getting some additional seasoning.  But that still a younger group with some college growing pains to get through even if they are at the penn state talent level.  But if it doesn’t all fall into place with the extra year guys, a down year for PSU at this point is still likely a top 5 finish. 

We'll see how it plays out, but I'll be shocked if they finish outside the Top 3 unless they don't get the 6th years and Hall, Lee and someone else redshirts

7 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

We'll see how it plays out, but I'll be shocked if they finish outside the Top 3 unless they don't get the 6th years and Hall, Lee and someone else redshirts

They said awhile back they have tightened up a little more with who gets an Olympic Redshirt compared to previous years where a ton of wrestlers got them.  I’d say Hall and Manville (Greco) likely gets one, but Lee may have to finish decently high in this years Senior Trials to get his.  Love to see him advance far at the senior level, but I’m not sure where the new line is to get the Olympic year. However, if it helps him and Joe get a year to together on the PSU starting lineup I’d be all for it. 

Edited by MattM

Joseph may need another freak TD to back points move to possibly win this one now.  Lewis has become a household wrestling fan name over the course of this weekend. 

Edited by MattM

3 minutes ago, MattM said:

Joseph may need another freak TD to back points move to possibly win this one now.  Lewis has become a household wrestling fan name over the course of this weekend. 

Lewis did too Joseph what Joseph has done to others the past two years

1 minute ago, 1prouddad said:

What an impressive run for the freshman Lewis

RS Freshman....  I had to look it up. He lost to Isaiah White and Connor Flynn this year, both in November.  Lost twice to Chance Marstellar last year as a RS, finishing 28-2 both years

6 minutes ago, MattM said:

Lewis just pulled a Joseph vs IMar on Joseph.  

As you stated he’s became a household name. He’s a very smart wrestler and obviously studies his opponents. Well deserved and could very well have been the MOW of the tourney by taking out the 1,2and 4 seed in route to a Championship

Edited by 1prouddad

Lewis was a junior world champ, but most wrestling fans didn’t know his name until this weekends.  He ran through all the top guys in his bracket (Marinelli, Wick, Joseph) and earned the title.  On a side note he only beat Cael McCormick 4-1.  So in retrospect a decent showing by the Golden Knight and Yorktown grad.  

Edited by MattM