NCAA Championships - Day 3 (Placements & Finals)

Micic with a easy major he will get to 3/4 tonight  against Pletcher  

Lee couldn’t get his offense going until the 3rd.  Dug too big of a whole to get out of.  He will go for 5/6 tonight against McKee.  Nick’s pressure forward approach is often a strength, but it has also allowed some wrestlers to get in deep on his legs this year.  Not being a scrambler it leading to him giving up several against top guys. Hard to come back from those points at the highest level. It’s safe to say if he can keep on the attack while finding a better a way to close off those openings he’ll be a major title contender.

Edited by MattM

Nick Lee loses a 13-10 decision to Dom Demas of Oklahoma.  Demas controlled the match using Lee's pressure against him.  When Nick pressed forward, Demas scored takedowns on several inside trips.  He kept his legs back making it hard for Nick to get to the legs.  When Lee tried the slide by, Demas controlled the hand fighting enough.  Nick was behind from the beginning and playing catch up the whole match.

Stevan Micic came out and dominated from the start, earning a 17-4 major decision over Missouri's John Erneste.

Micic will wrestle Luke Pletcher for 3rd Place (Pletcher beat Desanto 7-6)

Lee will wrestle Mitch McKee for 5th Place.

2 minutes ago, MattM said:

Micic takes 3rd

He has pretty much controlled and dominated Pletcher the last few times they have wrestled.  Today was more control than domination, but he comes away with a nice 6-1 win

Lee and Red up next

Edited by SWINfan

Lee jumps out early and takes a 4-1 lead after 1 period.  McKee tries the same inside trip Demas got him with and Lee won the battle, put McKee on his back and gets an early 2nd period fall!  Nick Lee takes 5th Place for the 2nd year in a row.

Edited by SWINfan

Shoop currently shutting Red down completely.  Stuck on bottom most of the match and starts down in 3rd. Reds going to need one heck of a 3rd period to find the win. Red finally escapes at end but no time left to score again. Red takes 8th. 

Edited by MattM

3 minutes ago, MattM said:

Shoop currently shutting Red down completely.  Stuck on bottom most of the match and starts down in 3rd. Reds going to need one heck of a 3rd period to find the win. Red finally escapes at end but no time left to score again. Red takes 8th. 

CJ was clearly not 100. Congrats on being an AA two times out of two tries!!! 

Looking back, I know Lee is disappointed finishing in 5th Place, but he had a pretty solid tournament, but one that also gave him some learning opportunities.  He finished with 3 falls, giving him 7 bonus points and 16 total team points for the tournament.  

The losses are frustrating.  McKenna is a tough matchup and is now 3-1 against Nick, all 1 pt matches.  Demas used what Nick does against him and was strong enough to finish the inside trips for takedowns.  Nick will learn from that and add another proverbial tool to his tool box.  

2 minutes ago, UncleJimmy said:

Happy for Marstellar finishing strong after all his struggles/issues. A true grinder. Hopefully the demons stay down.

Hopefully his 2 kids will help!    I can't imagine what it would have been like to have 2 kids at that point while still in college.

56 minutes ago, UncleJimmy said:

Happy for Marstellar finishing strong after all his struggles/issues. A true grinder. Hopefully the demons stay down.

It’s a great story really. Congrats to him on his journey. 

I didn't realize this but Max Dean had faced Myles Martin twice before this season, losing both. Neither was close with scores of 13-6 and 17-7. He faces Drew Foster of Northern Iowa tonight.  He is 3-1 against Foster, winning this year's match 6-5.  

Now I remember the Suriano-Fix match from earlier this season....  same as tonight.  Boring as hell....

5 minutes ago, RaiderColfax said:

4. Valencia and hall is gonna be a great one again. The way Valencia put it on Lewis was just brutal. 

It should be.... I was surprised at how much Hall dominated their meeting earlier this year.  Don't expect the same tonight.

1 minute ago, MattM said:

Hall vs Valencia was my pick for the premier finals match.  Hope it lives up to my expectation. 

I think ending at 197 was an Ode to Bo...   Highlight the dominant senior thing.