NCAA Championships - Day 2 (Friday)

40 minutes ago, MattM said:

M. Lewis is likely the breakout name of this years NCAA’s.   Makes the finals as a freshman while beating Marinelli and Wick along the way.  Can’t say too many people knew him as a contender before this weekend.  

He was actually a dark horse several posters on a Penn State board were worried about when the brackets came out.   So some knew about him, but not a lot.... you're correct on that

14 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Did Max Dean just pull off the biggest upset of the tourney?  Martin came in as an almost sure lock and Max takes a page from big brother Gabe’s book. 

I think you hit the nail on the head there.  Martin was a prohibitive favorite.  Many thought Rasheed of Penn State was the only one that had a realistic shot at beating him and even those peeps didn't think the chances were very good.

If I’m Moore’s coaches I’m telling him he better step up and do something against Nickal from the first second that didn’t occur in the last match.  That Big10 showing can’t be something to look back on with any type of positive.   

Edited by MattM

2 minutes ago, MattM said:

If I’m Moore’s coaches I’m telling him he better step up and do something against Nickal from the first second that didn’t occur in the last match.  That Big10 showing can’t be something to look back on with any type of positive.   

It can if you compare it to his showing in the dual.  It's all relative.  ha ha

1 minute ago, MattM said:

If I’m Moore’s coaches I’m telling him he better step up and do something against Nickal from the first second.  That Big10 showing can’t be something to look back on with any type of positive.   

While he’s a phenomenal wrestler, Nickal is just that much better. I think this will solidify the Hodge for him. 

12 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Cassar proves the firstwin overthe fresh phenom was no fluke 

I was really surprised he pulled it out again.  From the guy who got left out of the lineup last year.  Good for him!  Gable's time will come.

On a side note, not sure if it a Jersey thing, but Cassar sure does like to pull the singlet down and show off those pecs, doesn't he?  Then again, I might too if I was built like that!

Edited by SWINfan

3 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Cassar proves the firstwin overthe fresh phenom was no fluke 

Gables urgency meter needs to go off about 30sec or so earlier.  That was likely the final but either way Cassar earns the win.  If Cassar doesn’t get an extra year it’s likely Steveson’s Title next year until he finishes.   

8 minutes ago, MattM said:

Gables urgency meter needs to go off about 30sec or so earlier.  That was likely the final but either way Cassar earns the win.  If Cassar doesn’t get an extra year it’s likely Steveson’s Title next year until he finishes.   

Don't forget Derek White.  He's a physical specimen a well and gave Cassar his only loss on the year, at the Southern Scuffle.  

Overall thoughts:

1) Embarrassing that Nolf won that match. Absolutely outwrestled and Hilday was robbed. Nolf is out of the Hodge and it’s all Nickal at this point.

2) It didn’t make sense at the time and makes less sense today but they should’ve never pulled Parris’s redshirt. You could clearly see he needed a year to grow into that weight class. 

3) Surprised by Lewis but maybe we shouldn’t be. Made a junior world team. Want to be elite? Make age-level world teams. Look at the guys who’ve done in on the world level. Lee, Fix, Yianni, Zahid, Hall, Steveson, etc. 

4) Steveson should’ve never lost that match. I’m actually shocked he didn’t get it done. Got sloppy on one exchange so it’s his own fault. But I hate when guys like Cassar get rewarded with absolutely no offense. 

5) I have a buddy who wrestled at Lowell and grew up around the Deans. So I’ve always rooted for them from afar. Good for Max Dean. As for Cornell, I think if I had a son who was being recruited right now. It would be Penn St #1 (and I dislike penn state) and Cornell #2. Those two programs always seem to get the most out of their guys.

6) Indiana as a state has a long way to go.  

7) really excited for Fix-Suriano. Anyone else remember that insane marathon match they wrestled at who’s #1?

😎 Yianni might be my favorite wrestler in the entire NCAA. Just fun to watch. I think Erieyman (spelling) was the only guy in that weight class who can beat him.

9) A topic for another day but how many of these guys will take Olympic redshirts next year? A lot of these guys have had world level success. See #3 above. 

10) Finals picks:

Lee, Fix, Yianni, Ashnault, Nolf, Joseph, Zahid, Dean, Nickal, Cassar

6 minutes ago, BClark said:

7) really excited for Fix-Suriano. Anyone else remember that insane marathon match they wrestled at who’s #1?

Let it be more like the attack-counterattack battle from that than the anti-cimlatcic hands to the face ending snooze fest from this year.  

Edited by MattM

7 minutes ago, MattM said:

Let it be more like the attack-counterattack battle from that than the anti-cimlatcic hands to the face ending snooze fest from this year.  

Yep you’re right. Completely forgot they wrestled this year. Must’ve blocked it out

1 hour ago, BClark said:

Overall thoughts:

1) Embarrassing that Nolf won that match. Absolutely outwrestled and Hilday was robbed. Nolf is out of the Hodge and it’s all Nickal at this point.

2) It didn’t make sense at the time and makes less sense today but they should’ve never pulled Parris’s redshirt. You could clearly see he needed a year to grow into that weight class. 

3) Surprised by Lewis but maybe we shouldn’t be. Made a junior world team. Want to be elite? Make age-level world teams. Look at the guys who’ve done in on the world level. Lee, Fix, Yianni, Zahid, Hall, Steveson, etc. 

4) Steveson should’ve never lost that match. I’m actually shocked he didn’t get it done. Got sloppy on one exchange so it’s his own fault. But I hate when guys like Cassar get rewarded with absolutely no offense. 

5) I have a buddy who wrestled at Lowell and grew up around the Deans. So I’ve always rooted for them from afar. Good for Max Dean. As for Cornell, I think if I had a son who was being recruited right now. It would be Penn St #1 (and I dislike penn state) and Cornell #2. Those two programs always seem to get the most out of their guys.

6) Indiana as a state has a long way to go.  

😎 Yianni might be my favorite wrestler in the entire NCAA. Just fun to watch. I think Erieyman (spelling) was the only guy in that weight class who can beat him.

9) A topic for another day but how many of these guys will take Olympic redshirts next year? A lot of these guys have had world level success. See #3 above. 

10) Finals picks:

Lee, Fix, Yianni, Ashnault, Nolf, Joseph, Zahid, Dean, Nickal, Cassar

I don't think it is fair to say that Hidlay was robbed, unless you think he should have gotten a takedown in the final seconds.  The reversed takedown call in the first period was a curious one.  But if it held, I have ZERO doubt Nolf would have wrestled differently going forward.  You can't assume the rest of the match would have played out exactly the same if the score were 2-0 after the first period.  That said, Nolf escaped and squeezed out a win in a match he could easily have lost.  I think that is fair to say.

6 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I don't think it is fair to say that Hidlay was robbed, unless you think he should have gotten a takedown in the final seconds.  The reversed takedown call in the first period was a curious one.  But if it held, I have ZERO doubt Nolf would have wrestled differently going forward.  You can't assume the rest of the match would have played out exactly the same if the score were 2-0 after the first period.  That said, Nolf escaped and squeezed out a win in a match he could easily have lost.  I think that is fair to say.

True but you are assuming as well. Nolf May have wrestled differently but maybe it wouldn’t have mattered. I know Hidlay looked like the better wrestler. And I think it’s fair to say he was robbed because that TD very well could’ve won him the match. 

2 hours ago, BClark said:

True but you are assuming as well. Nolf May have wrestled differently but maybe it wouldn’t have mattered. I know Hidlay looked like the better wrestler. And I think it’s fair to say he was robbed because that TD very well could’ve won him the match. 

Couldn’t agree more. While I like Nolf as many do, most are making the excuse that the match would’ve been different had his takedown not been taken away. 

3 hours ago, BClark said:

That is exactly my point.  No one knows what would have happened as opposed to assuming those two points were the difference maker.  It's like saying a team down by 4 touchdowns that scores 3 TD's and a FG in the 4th Quarter would have won had the referee not made a wrong call in the first quarter on a TD that gave the other team the lead.  Teams change how they play based on the score.  I'm just saying that assuming a wrong call in the first period doesn't tell us how the match would have finished without it.  

But there is no doubt that Nolf escaped the claws of defeat.