NCAA Championships - Day 1

Just now, Mattyb said:

Did anybody see Bo Nickals pin??? The dude hooked the kids chin then went front quarter with the other hand. Flipped the dude over like a fish! Has anyone ever seen that before? 

Tonight?   That may have caused my earlier "rag doll" reference.  Every time I watch Bo wrestle it seems like I see something new.  He's a beast and pretty much does what he wants and even the best of the rest can't do much about it.

5 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Did anybody see Bo Nickals pin??? The dude hooked the kids chin then went front quarter with the other hand. Flipped the dude over like a fish! Has anyone ever seen that before? 

I’ve seen it before but not with as much intent as Bo did. He didn’t just flip the guy, he ripped that one. So much so that I believe the opponent was a little upset about it as he wouldn’t let Bo help him up afterwards. 

1 minute ago, maligned said:

Hughes falls 2-1 and is eliminated.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but if only Drew could compete on his feet.  Once again, his opponent chooses bottom and Drew rides him in the 2nd period.  Drew chooses top in the 3rd and rides him the full 2 minutes.  Can't turn him and ends up with only 1 riding time point.  Y2 was right there at the mat side table in full view as well.  

Lydy gets a nice TD in sudden victory for a 3-1 win and advances

4 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I hate to beat a dead horse, but if only Drew could compete on his feet.  Once again, his opponent chooses bottom and Drew rides him in the 2nd period.  Drew chooses top in the 3rd and rides him the full 2 minutes.  Can't turn him and ends up with only 1 riding time point.  Y2 was right there at the mat side table in full view as well.  

Lydy gets a nice TD in sudden victory for a 3-1 win and advances

He somehow had a little more to offer on his feet at 165 in my opinion. He doesn't seem to have the horsepower and explosiveness to bang on his feet at 174.

7 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Coach Tom Ryan is such a class act. Loved his matside interview just now. 

I'm not a fan.  Maybe it is because my eyes loathe Buckeye scarlett and gray, but something about him just seems a bit fake to me.  

On a separate note, you would think ESPN, for as long as they have televised this tournament and with the same guys, would learn a few things.  Interviewing a HC while his wrestler is wrestling and his attention is divided is not good TV.  Chasing down wrestlers right after they have wrestled to try and get answers to a couple of questions, while the wrestler is still trying to catch his breath and often still wearing his mouthpiece = not good TV.  You would think they could work with the NCAA to have a designated area for mat side interviews and give the guys a chance to catch their breath, even if that means waiting 10 minutes for them to go to the dressing room.  If the NCAA and teams would cooperate and a school SID could get them back out for the interview, it would be much better for all sides.

5 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I'm not a fan.  Maybe it is because my eyes loathe Buckeye scarlett and gray, but something about him just seems a bit fake to me.  

On a separate note, you would think ESPN, for as long as they have televised this tournament and with the same guys, would learn a few things.  Interviewing a HC while his wrestler is wrestling and his attention is divided is not good TV.  Chasing down wrestlers right after they have wrestled to try and get answers to a couple of questions, while the wrestler is still trying to catch his breath and often still wearing his mouthpiece = not good TV.  You would think they could work with the NCAA to have a designated area for mat side interviews and give the guys a chance to catch their breath, even if that means waiting 10 minutes for them to go to the dressing room.  If the NCAA and teams would cooperate and a school SID could get them back out for the interview, it would be much better for all sides.

I agree. When they were interviewing brands and he was staying in front of him to get the interview. This is go time, wait until a break for the coaches and give a little time for the wrestlers after a grueling win.

6 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Personal opinion I guess. 

4 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Personal opinion I guess. 

Absolutely.  Something just seems off to me.  Not Urban Meyer off, but just not genuine.  Maybe I'm wrong because I DO hate Ohio State.  But there are other schools I don't like for one reason or another and I don't get the same feeling from their coaches.  Who knows.  The world would be boring if everyone agreed on everything.

On a separate note, I have been impressed with Jacob Aven.  I'm assuming he is a senior and done after this weekend.  But he's been better than I expected watching him the past couple of months.  I didn't expect him to beat AJ Nevills, but he handled him pretty easily.  Hope he keeps going!

9 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Alex M on Iowa does it too..Alex also does front qtr pry that is similar that flips the guy over like a day 1 kid...I've got a 8th grader Brevan thrine(4th at Ms State and iswa runner up that has atleast 10 pins this year with that front qtr Nelson..he puts the pressure on boys with that.. you can physically see kids start being reluctant on shooting because he puts the pressure on heavy with that qtr nelson...hes no Bo but he's damn strong and nasty with that qtr Nelson I tell ya..