NCAA Championships - Day 1

3 minutes ago, Westforkwhite said:

Did you see Y2 sitting matside smiling as big as the sky when OK St choose down in the second?

I admit, I was watching Harvey/Lydy and didn't look in on Hughes until after the 2nd period started.  Had to double check TW to see who chose for that period.

Parris weighed in at 237.8.  Call me crazy, he looks a little thinner than earlier in the year.  Maybe it's the blue singlet that is more slimming? Stoll weighed in at 277+ so a full 40 lbs. 

This match is UGLY.  Parris has given up 3 stalling points for getting pushed out of bounds and not circling back.  Stoll has given one point back the same way.  Both have 1 takedown.  Parris down 7-3 going into the 3rd.  Mason close to an escape/reversal but they go out of bounds.  Mason keeps trying to gramby roll out, but Stoll controls it and lands his big assed body on top of Parris.  Another stall point on Stoll makes it 7-4 Parris.  Escape by Mason makes it 7-5 but Still has riding time locked.  

Final score Sam Stoll 8 Mason Parris 5.  Long road back for Mason, but as Lee and Red showed last year, it can be done.  Parris really hurt by Jake Gunning withdrawing and the seeds changing yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Westforkwhite said:

I know Parris deserved a couple of those stall calls, but that was silly. Stoll didn't take 1 shot, never attempted to turn, only pushes, and is rewarded with 4 points. That is just encouraging ugly no offense wrestling. 

That's the Iowa style these days.  Stoll isn't the only one that wrestles that way.

That Parris match was the worst officiated match I've ever seen. The exact same thing happened at least 10 times that match. Stoll locked up and used his weight to push, they get to the edge, Parris tries to snap and circle and they both go out of bounds. A few times Parris gets called for stalling, a couple times Stoll gets called for stalling, a few times action is called. It was completely random and disgraceful.

Some really good performances by some Indiana kids in the first session. Hildebrandt, Lee, Red, McCormick, Harvey were all incredible. 

Sadly, the Parris loss really dampened the whole experience. We all knew he was undersized and that he struggles with the bigger guys, but I think it was just highlighted all the more again. I really hope he can make a run still, but bigger guys have figured him out a bit. Those next 10 or 15 pounds will make such a big difference, but I hope that loss doesn't derail this season's promise.

The asterisk of the early session for me is Micic. Of course he won easily enough, but I wasn't comfortable picking him to win a title with his knee issue and the vulnerability he showed in moments in that match didn't alleviate my feelings of uneasiness about challenges he'll face in the later rounds.

1 hour ago, maligned said:

Some really good performances by some Indiana kids in the first session. Hildebrandt, Lee, Red, McCormick, Harvey were all incredible. 

Sadly, the Parris loss really dampened the whole experience. We all knew he was undersized and that he struggles with the bigger guys, but I think it was just highlighted all the more again. I really hope he can make a run still, but bigger guys have figured him out a bit. Those next 10 or 15 pounds will make such a big difference, but I hope that loss doesn't derail this season's promise.

The asterisk of the early session for me is Micic. Of course he won easily enough, but I wasn't comfortable picking him to win a title with his knee issue and the vulnerability he showed in moments in that match didn't alleviate my feelings of uneasiness about challenges he'll face in the later rounds.

He is definitely less than 100%. He techs that kid in 2 periods 3 weeks ago. Micic was the clear #1 all year it's just a shame he isn't fully healthy right now.