NCAA Championships - Day 1

Join us here for all discussion about the NCAA Championship in Pittsburgh.  Session I starts Thursday at 11:00 am (central) and Session II at 6:00 pm (central).  If we get enough discussion we'll do a different thread each day.  

There are 11 former Hoosier HS wrestlers qualified for the tourney led by previous All-Americans Stevan Micic (133), Nick Lee (141) and Chad Red (141).  Others looking to AA for the first time are: Drew Hildebrandt (125), Cael McCormick (165), Ben Harvey (174), Drew Hughes (174), Dylan Lydy (174), Jake Covaciu (174), Mason Parris (285) and Jacob Aven (285).

Discuss those 11 and all other matches of interest here!

On TV: ESPN is once again covering all sessions on ESPNU (day sessions) and ESPN (night sessions and Finals).  Sessions begin at 11:00 am & 6:00 pm central on Thursday; 10:00 am & 7:00 PM Friday; and 10:00 am & 6:00 pm (Finals) on Saturday.  

Online: WatchESPN or ESPN3 (same thing) and the ESPN app will provide streaming of all 8 mats with the appropriate cable/satellite subscription.  

Edited by SWINfan

In case you missed it in the NCAA Brackets thread, there were two late changes affecting Hoosier wrestlers.  Jacob Aven of Purdue enters the bracket after Jake Gunning of Buffalo withdrew.  He will be the 33 seed and face 32 seed Brandon Ngati of West Virginia in the pigtail.  The winner faces 1 seed Derek White of OK State.  Other wrestlers bumped up a seed which pits former All-American from Iowa Sam Stoll (28 seed) against Michigan freshman Mason Parris (5 seed).  

Below is a link to the updated Excel spreadsheet discussed in the NCAA Brackets thread.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MJpf2q5l9_LTZwhgqLXnGgcAnYdSFRFNscXUNyL8KB8/edit#gid=105084120

"The number of NCAA Qualifiers per state according to FLO:
Pennsylvania: 52
Ohio: 24
New Jersey: 23
Illinois: 22
Michigan: 19
California: 18
New York: 18
Missouri: 14
Colorado: 12
Georgia: 12
Iowa: 12
Minnesota: 11
Oklahoma: 11
Indiana: 11

Adjusted for the withdrawal of Gunning from PA and the addition of Aven.  Not sure if there have been any other changes after this was posted.  The only other change I know of was 125 but that was earlier in the week.

Early Mat Assignments...

Jake Covaciu - Up immediately on Mat 7
Drew Hildebrandt - On deck on Mat 8
Elijah Oliver - In the hole on Mat 8
Devin Schroder - On deck on Mat 3
Jacob Aven - On deck on Mat 2

Edited by SWINfan

6 minutes ago, maligned said:

Covaciu goes up 2-0 early and has significant riding time partway into the 2nd, gives up an escape, takedown, and mat return into a half for the loss by fall.

I looked away at 2-0.  Came back to it and it was over.

An interesting note, not Indiana related....
@165 Joe Smith of Oklahoma State is a 2x AA and seeded #33.  He dropped from 174 late in the season and only had 6 matches at 165, all in the Big 12 Tourney.  He went 4-2.  Since most of his results were at a different weight class, he was seeded last and fell into the pigtail.  He won against Moreland from NW and will face #1 seed Alex Marinelli next.  That's a tough first round match for the #1 seed.

2 minutes ago, maligned said:

Hildebrandt 6-0 win...Schroder loses

Nice win for Drew!

Two guys to keep an eye on at 125 are 7-seed Pat Glory and 8-seed Vitali Arujau, both Ivy Leaguers.  Both are capable of winning against the top wrestlers in this class and could go deep.  

2 minutes ago, sslaymon said:

I can't seem to be getting mine to pull up online. Anyone have a direct link that is working?

You on a computer or the App on your phone?  

If you are on your computer, pull up Track Wrestling and on the dashboard, click on the video camera icon on each match and it will take you right to ESPN's stream.  You'll have to log in but once you do, you can do the same for all mats.  Right now, I have 5 of the 8 mats on different tabs on my laptops. 

Nick Lee up next on Mat 8, following Roman Bravo-Young, also of Penn State.  RBY up 4-2 in the 3rd period now.

Micic finishes off his 1st round 15-7 major decision

Edited by SWINfan