All Indiana College Lineup

purdue02

In lieu of us getting 10 qualifiers from the state of Indiana for NCAA’s, I was curious... 

If we made our best college roster based on current wrestlers who GRADATED (no Gable) from an Indiana high school would it be the following:

125 - Hildebrandt

133 - Micic

141 - Lee

149 - Red

157 - McCormick

165 - Hughes

174 - Lydy

184 - Harvey

197 - L. Davison

285 - Parris

note that some guys I sucked down a bit or bumped up some to try to get our best guys in.  I went ahead and used 9 of the 10 qualifiers but couldn’t use everybody because 4 of them are at 174 currently.

what would our best lineup be right now??

At 149, I'd take a full-sized Brayton Lee over an overweight Red. He was 26-7 this year wrestling unattached for Minnesota and just beat two WrestleStat Top 30 guys (including the Cal Baptist guy who was the D2 national champ last year) while winning the National Collegiate Open.

I'd leave McCormick up at 165 where he belongs over a sucked down Hughes. McCormick is rolling right now. 

Finding a 157 would be the challenge. You could be right that it would maybe have to be someone who sucked down (maybe Brad Laughlin with his 18-10 record backing up McCormick), but Kasper McIntosh had a winning record wrestling unattached for Minnesota and Mason Gaines and Brett Johnson were NAIA national qualifiers.

At 184, our best option might be Thomas Penola, who looked tough in open tournaments for Purdue this year (16-7).

Edited by maligned

By the way...no seniors in your proposed lineup or the other options I mentioned. I'd peg that team as a top 10, possibly top 5, duals team next year and expect them to get at least four 2020 AA's with a chance of as many as seven.

6 hours ago, maligned said:

Finding a 157 would be the challenge. You could be right that it would maybe have to be someone who sucked down (maybe Brad Laughlin with his 18-10 record backing up McCormick), but Kasper McIntosh had a winning record wrestling unattached for Minnesota and Mason Gaines and Brett Johnson were NAIA national qualifiers.

Steven "Bam" Lawrence (of Grand View, via Portage) wrestled at NAIA as well and placed 5th, so he is probably in before Brett Johnson or Mason Gaines.

6 minutes ago, trackgopher said:

Steven "Bam" Lawrence (of Grand View, via Portage) wrestled at NAIA as well and placed 5th, so he is probably in before Brett Johnson or Mason Gaines.

Good catch! I was going off of an outdated version of the SWINfan master list of Indiana collegiate wrestlers that he's since updated. Bam would be a really nice possibility at 157 for this lineup. NAIA/D2/D3 All-Americans tend to wrestle at a D1 starter level based on open tournament results.

Edited by maligned

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.