Brock Hudkins

MicahelAspen

4 hours ago, Jayruss said:

Thought he was 133?

Went 125 freshman and sophomore years before his redshirt this year. Bio from his first two years at Northern Illinois:

2017-18: Qualified for the NCAA Wrestling Championships (Mar. 15), going 1-2 … Defeated Ibrahim Bunduka of George Mason via a first-round pin fall, 2:21, in the NCAA Championships … Wrestled to a second place finish at the MAC Championships (Mar. 3-4) earning a spot in the NCAA Wrestling Championships at 125-pounds …. Posted a 17-12 record including a 6-3 mark in the MAC … Won second place at the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open (Nov. 4) and the  Eastern Michigan Open (Nov. 11) … Went 4-1 on his way to a third-place finish at the Lindenwood Open (Nov. 18) … Got his hand raised once at the Midlands Championships (Dec. 29) by defeating Joshua Kramer of Arizona State, 5-3 … Recognized as NIU Scholar Athlete of the Week twice (Jan 8-14) and (Feb. 26-Mar. 4) … Was named to the NWCA All-Academic Team for the second consecutive season … Earned MAC All-Academic Team accolades …  Suited up for eight duals … Improved his career mark to 38-23 as a Huskie. 

2016-17: 
Finished his freshman year at 125-pounds with a winning record (21-11)…Placed fifth at the Michigan State Open (11/20) …Shutout No. 30 Cory Simpson from Kent State in a 5-0 upset…Was ranked nationally in the final week of the regular season…Captured third place at the MAC Championships (3/5) after a 3-1 run…Qualified for NCAA Championships (3/17) and upset No. 11 Josh Terao from American in a 5-2 decision…Notched three wins at the National level to advance to the Round of 12…Was named to the NWCA All-Academic Team.

Edited by maligned

15 hours ago, maligned said:

Went 125 freshman and sophomore years before his redshirt this year. Bio from his first two years at Northern Illinois   

If it’s happening, it’s a nice pickup at 125 for the Hoosiers. And at a weight they haven’t had consistency at lately.  Plus this allows the younger Moran time to develop into a college 125, as well as, provide him with great practice partner as he make the transition.  It would still be a good get at 133 to help create more competition for the 133 and 141 spots.    But 125 is a big need for a year or two so hopefully he can still get down there. 

Edited by MattM

1 hour ago, MattM said:

If it’s happening a nice pickup at 125 for the Hoosiers at a weight they haven’t had consistency at lately.  Plus it allows the younger Moran time to develop into a college 125 as well as provide him with great practice partner as he make the transition.  It would still be a good get at 133 to help create more competition for the 133 and 141 spots.    But 125 is a big need for a year or two so hopefully he can still get down there. 

My thoughts exactly. Going to take Moran awhile to put on good weight. This lineup is shaking up. Seems like we will be backlogged from 33-49, wonder how this will shape up. 

2 hours ago, MattM said:

If it’s happening a nice pickup at 125 for the Hoosiers at a weight they haven’t had consistency at lately.  Plus it allows the younger Moran time to develop into a college 125 as well as provide him with great practice partner as he make the transition.  It would still be a good get at 133 to help create more competition for the 133 and 141 spots.    But 125 is a big need for a year or two so hopefully he can still get down there. 

I believe Moran is going to be training out at the olympic training center for a year before heading to IU to adjust to a college 125. Having Brock in the room with guys like jake and asa is going to be huge for them!

15 hours ago, MattM said:

If it’s happening, it’s a nice pickup at 125 for the Hoosiers. And at a weight they haven’t had consistency at lately.  Plus this allows the younger Moran time to develop into a college 125, as well as, provide him with great practice partner as he make the transition.  It would still be a good get at 133 to help create more competition for the 133 and 141 spots.    But 125 is a big need for a year or two so hopefully he can still get down there. 

I was under the impression Elijah Oliver qualified for the NCAA tournament all 4 years....is that not consistency?

38 minutes ago, Indysportsfan said:

I was under the impression Elijah Oliver qualified for the NCAA tournament all 4 years....is that not consistency?

True. 93 career wins and 4 NCAA tournaments. Very solid career. I think sometimes his performances have felt maddening because he was a top 15 guy as a freshman and it was hard to pinpoint why he's struggled to get back to that. But you look up today and we're talking about a 4-time qualifier with several NCAA tourney wins and 10 B10 tourney wins. Much better than par for the course for IU's other weights in that period.

4 hours ago, Indysportsfan said:

Fair point, but its representative of zero growth. If a guy is ranked 12th in his freshman year one would expect the progression is to 2 or 3 time AA, not 4 time qualifier. That said he looks the best he's been in years and primed for a deep run. Hopefully it turns into an AA Sr season.

7 hours ago, Indysportsfan said:

My commwnts were mostly in reference to the off and on again appearances/results at 125 that IU has had for the past several years throughout the entire season.  It wasn’t that long ago  IU was FF 125 during the season much of the season.  In other years including some this season different wrestlers have been swapped in and out of the line up on a few occasions.  The weight hasn’t exactly  been a weight we have been able to count for dual points a lot in recent history  if at 12t I’m not sure Hudkins will light the Big10 on fire, but hopefully he can be in the lineup consistently and keep most matches close enough to possibly points on IU’s side of the board.  

The previous comment wasn’t directed mearly at Oliver time at 125, so please done take it as a direct knock on him.  Where things with IU have been in the prior years, Oliver does deserve credit for being able to make NCAA’s each season.  As referenced above, would I like to see him get a few wins there?  Sure.  And hopefully he find a few of those wins in final season.  

• 1 month later...

I think this is a good move for both Brock and IU. If he can still make 125, he’ll slot right in and drilling with guys like Asa, Moran, and the Rooks brothers helps everyone get better. Another wonderful pick-up for Angel.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.