NCAA Brackets are released

Here is a tool I found last year and liked.  This year's version below.  I did not create it. I got it on another board and it was posted there from a different board, so I have no idea where it started so I can't give proper credit.  But it is a cool tool.

All brackets are loaded.  Enter scores for each match in the yellow cells and it will automatically advance the winner and properly place the loser in the consolations.  Enter the correct scores and it will tabulate team scores along the way.  Use it for predictions to see how certain results may affect a wrestler in matches to come.  Or just use it to keep up sitting on your duff at home.  Clear the yellow cells and all results erase.  See the Guide tab for specific instructions.

Check it out.

2019 NCAA Bracket.xlsx

13 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Here is a tool I found last year and liked.  This year's version below.  I did not create it. I got it on another board and it was posted there from a different board, so I have no idea where it started so I can't give proper credit.  But it is a cool tool.

All brackets are loaded.  Enter scores for each match in the yellow cells and it will automatically advance the winner and properly place the loser in the consolations.  Enter the correct scores and it will tabulate team scores along the way.  Use it for predictions to see how certain results may affect a wrestler in matches to come.  Or just use it to keep up sitting on your duff at home.  Clear the yellow cells and all results erase.  See the Guide tab for specific instructions.

Check it out.

2019 NCAA Bracket.xlsx

That's awesome! It has the formulas in cells so that you could replicate it for your own use in the future. I love pick'em and bracket games. This may be the ticket I was looking for to create a wrestling bracket, like I do for college hoops and hockey. Thank you and to whoever created this awesome spreadsheet!

17 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

I would argue that McKenna was gassed at the end of all three matches.

Last year the difference was he had riding time. Lee gave up a bad take down with 1 second left on the clock at the end of 2 to loose the lead. He tied it at 6 in the third but couldn't overcome the riding time point. 

The dual this year Lee was down 5-1 after 1 and then out scored McKenna 6-1 the rest of the way. When Lee got the final take down with about 30 seconds to go McKenna had nothing left and barely made an attempt to get off the mat.

In the B1Gs it was almost a similar story. McKenna goes up 5-1 with Lee giving up another bad take down with 3 seconds to go in the first. The difference this time is McKenna puts on a clinic on how to defend. There are at least two shots that look like he is definitely giving up 2, but he keeps wrestling and fights off the take down (Flo calls it Matrix level D). In the third McKenna is very slow to return to neutral and Lee does get the take down on his second attempt with about 2 seconds left. I think if Lee finishes the first attempt in the third we see the same ending as last time. But he didn't. And all credit goes to McKenna for stopping him.

That said, let me paint a scenario for you. Its Friday night and Lee is facing McKenna in the semis. They both wrestled Friday morning. McKenna looks bigger than Lee. That is because he is bigger. He has to cut harder to make weight. He has to stay at weight all day. Hard to do without an effect on the energy levels.  Lee is more natural at 141 and is less affected by multiple weigh ins. Now Lee avoids giving up the silly take down with zeros almost showing on the clock. It is a close match because they are closely matched, but McKenna finds himself even more gassed than normal in the third. 

Lee/Diakomiholis under the lights Saturday night. 

I agree 100%

16 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

I would argue that McKenna was gassed at the end of all three matches.

I agree to a certain extent.

In the two matches McKenna has won, he is slowing down in the third but has just enough left to hang on for the win. In the one win for Lee, as you stated McKenna had nothing at all left in the 3rd.

Your theory about the weight cut definitely has some logic & isn't far fetched, but I'm not to sure that what you're calling silly mistakes by Nick (takedowns at the end of periods) isn't Mckenna earning those points purposely at a timely moment.

All 3 of their collegiate matches have been extremely similar. Let's hope Nick can find a way to win at this most important time. He has proven he can.

2 hours ago, SIACfan said:

I agree to a certain extent.

In the two matches McKenna has won, he is slowing down in the third but has just enough left to hang on for the win. In the one win for Lee, as you stated McKenna had nothing at all left in the 3rd.

Your theory about the weight cut definitely has some logic & isn't far fetched, but I'm not to sure that what you're calling silly mistakes by Nick (takedowns at the end of periods) isn't Mckenna earning those points purposely at a timely moment.

All 3 of their collegiate matches have been extremely similar. Let's hope Nick can find a way to win at this most important time. He has proven he can.

I believe his point is, if you want to beat a great wrestler like Joey McKenna, getting points/not giving up points in the final seconds of a period make things a helluva lot easier and provide a potential advantage.  The opposite adds to the difficulty.  I said it previously, and I think several people are saying with different words....  It would be nice to see Nick get off to a quicker start which should provide better control of the match and not make him rely on finishing strong to come from behind.  

Secondly is more of a question about the weight cut.  Am I correct in that at the NCAA, wrestlers weigh in each morning?  I get that the second day may make one feel more drained than the first.  But if the wrestler is able to manage their weight overnight, would it not be better theoretically to wrestle said grappler on the morning of the 2nd day?  They have to eat and replenish somewhat, so wouldn't it be likely they are stronger the evening of Day 2?  Of course, they can't go crazy because they still have to weigh in on Day 3.  Is my logic off here? 

35 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I believe his point is, if you want to beat a great wrestler like Joey McKenna, getting points/not giving up points in the final seconds of a period make things a helluva lot easier and provide a potential advantage.  The opposite adds to the difficulty.  I said it previously, and I think several people are saying with different words....  It would be nice to see Nick get off to a quicker start which should provide better control of the match and not make him rely on finishing strong to come from behind.  

Secondly is more of a question about the weight cut.  Am I correct in that at the NCAA, wrestlers weigh in each morning?  I get that the second day may make one feel more drained than the first.  But if the wrestler is able to manage their weight overnight, would it not be better theoretically to wrestle said grappler on the morning of the 2nd day?  They have to eat and replenish somewhat, so wouldn't it be likely they are stronger the evening of Day 2?  Of course, they can't go crazy because they still have to weigh in on Day 3.  Is my logic off here? 

You are correct. There is only one weigh-in per day (I did not write that sentence particularly well).

My understanding is day 2 is the hardest for wrestlers who are cutting. Given my belt size I have no personal experience to rely on here. But I know I get angry hungry as the day progresses. 

I also agree with SIACfans point that there are two sides to the interpretive coin and that Lee's giving up points is McKenna's taking points. But this is an Indiana thread. I'm wearing Indiana colored glasses (and I'm not even from Indiana). 

I feel like these two guys are so closely matched that the next meeting could turn on something as small as stamina in the middle of a tournament. Of course, then I choose Lee. McKenna has come out hard and fast all three times to great effect. He has also attacked strategically in the closing seconds of periods to great effect. And Lee has finished stronger all three times.

I choose to assume Lee can clean up his two deficiencies before McKenna can gain stamina.

9 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

You are correct. There is only one weigh-in per day (I did not write that sentence particularly well).

My understanding is day 2 is the hardest for wrestlers who are cutting. Given my belt size I have no personal experience to rely on here. But I know I get angry hungry as the day progresses. 

I also agree with SIACfans point that there are two sides to the interpretive coin and that Lee's giving up points is McKenna's taking points. But this is an Indiana thread. I'm wearing Indiana colored glasses (and I'm not even from Indiana). 

I feel like these two guys are so closely matched that the next meeting could turn on something as small as stamina in the middle of a tournament. Of course, then I choose Lee. McKenna has come out hard and fast all three times to great effect. He has also attacked strategically in the closing seconds of periods to great effect. And Lee has finished stronger all three times.

I choose to assume Lee can clean up his two deficiencies before McKenna can gain stamina.

I think McKenna will choose to start out slower and more defensively, to save the tank, so to speak.  I think McKenna would like to see a 4-2 win.  In Nick's win, McKenna came out hard, even more so than the other two matches.  He almost had Nick in some trouble in the first 30 seconds, but Lee was able to stay on his feet and fend him off.  I think the first minute and a half of that match is what lost if for McKenna.  I'd expect him to be more measured, as I think he was in the BTT.  Honestly, I'm not sure how much McKenna gassed in that match as opposed to Nick scoring a late TD when the match was all but over.

I hope you are correct in the effect the weight cut may have on McKenna and hope Nick can start fast to push the pace.  Would love to see Nick up 4-1 or 4-2 after the first period.

Edited by SWINfan

On 3/17/2019 at 10:22 PM, SWINfan said:

Check it out.

2019 NCAA Bracket.xlsx

Here is the Google sheets version, it will be updated throughout the tournament.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MJpf2q5l9_LTZwhgqLXnGgcAnYdSFRFNscXUNyL8KB8/edit?usp=sharing

Also note that if you downloaded earlier in the week there was a small tabulation error if the 33 seed beat the #1 seed so download the newest version.

1 minute ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Here is the Google sheets version, it will be updated throughout the tournament.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MJpf2q5l9_LTZwhgqLXnGgcAnYdSFRFNscXUNyL8KB8/edit?usp=sharing

Also note that if you downloaded earlier in the week there was a small tabulation error if the 33 seed beat the #1 seed so download the newest version.

Thanks for that update. I knew the 125 bracket with Ryan Milhof of ASU injured so I had planned to look for the original tonight.  Didn't know about the 133 snafu.

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Jacob Aven is in! Got word that Gunning from Buffalo is out so he's in the bracket now!

Whoa...great news for Aven, but bad news for Parris. Sam Stoll moves up from #29 to 28 and becomes a potential landmine first round matchup now for Mason. Full-size All-American Stoll first round and probably full-size 3-time Parris-vanquisher Jennings second round. Not the kindest of draws despite the seemingly generous #5 next to his name.

3 hours ago, maligned said:

Whoa...great news for Aven, but bad news for Parris. Sam Stoll moves up from #29 to 28 and becomes a potential landmine first round matchup now for Mason. Full-size All-American Stoll first round and probably full-size 3-time Parris-vanquisher Jennings second round. Not the kindest of draws despite the seemingly generous #5 next to his name.

Stoll will be an interesting first round match.  HOPEFULLY, his lack of mobility will give Parris a bit more of an edge than against Jennings.  Stoll and his gunshot knee will try to keep it to a 3-2 match.  If Mason can find a way to finish shots, he should be okay.  Shots should be there.  Just gotta finish!