Campbell sending 6

20 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Little 3,500 student Campbell sending 6 to NCAAs. I’ve said it a ton of times. It is like no other college program that I’ve seen. Kolat is building a monster! Something that everyone should go see.  I’m a huge fan! 

That's with two-time NCAA qualifier Quentin Perez redshirting this year too. He just obliterated the field at the national collegiate open, tech-ing a really tough Brad Laughlin of Army (22-11 unattached this year) as one of his three TFs along the way.

15 minutes ago, maligned said:

That's with two-time NCAA qualifier Quentin Perez redshirting this year too. He just obliterated the field at the national collegiate open, tech-ing a really tough Brad Laughlin of Army (22-11 unattached this year) as one of his three TFs along the way.

Yes... I met Quentin’s dad there. He retired, packed up his family from Texas, and moved to the middle of nowhere in North Carolina to support his son. Some of the other kids live with them. They also have Mason Smith a 10th seed in the NCAAs last year from central Michigan red shirting. The have A hwt world team member that won jucos from Mongolia’s senior team (yes his coaches are the ones that stripped), that is a monster and could AA. They have a ton of depth too. 

They are poised for a top 12 ranked team next year. Just a handful of years ago, they only had a few kids and were banned from the NCAAs. It’s really an amazing story and turn around. Btw... there facilities are all new and really nice. Super impressive. 

5 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Yes... I met Quentin’s dad there. He retired, packed up his family from Texas, and moved to the middle of nowhere in North Carolina to support his son. Some of the other kids live with them. They also have Mason Smith a 10th seed in the NCAAs last year from central Michigan red shirting. The have A hwt world team member that won jucos from Mongolia’s senior team (yes his coaches are the ones that stripped), that is a monster and could AA. They have a ton of depth too. 

They are poised for a top 12 ranked team next year. Just a handful of years ago, they only had a few kids and were banned from the NCAAs. It’s really an amazing story and turn around. Btw... there facilities are all new and really nice. Super impressive. 

You might be overstating it about the Mongolian Batkhishig. He was 0-6 against NCAA qualifiers this year and the only close-ish losses were twice to the #31 seed from Ohio. However, I TOTALLY forgot about Jere Heino at 285, the Finnish national teamer who redshirted this year and was a blood-rounder last year. That means 6 NCAA qualifiers with a blood rounder, a top 10 seed, and another 2-time qualifier sitting out the year. They seem to be in pretty good shape.

9 minutes ago, maligned said:

You might be overstating it about the Mongolian Batkhishig. He was 0-6 against NCAA qualifiers this year and the only close-ish losses were twice to the #31 seed from Ohio. However, I TOTALLY forgot about Jere Heino at 285, the Finnish national teamer who redshirted this year and was a blood-rounder last year. That means 6 NCAA qualifiers with a blood rounder, a top 10 seed, and another 2-time qualifier sitting out the year. They seem to be in pretty good shape.

So true... what an amazing job building a program! They were really on Carson’s short list. Really cool story. 

kolat is one the greatest technicians and coaches in the game...I had the privilege of being his wrestling dummy at a camp when I was a kid.. lets just say I was limping for 2 days and felt like a old man hobbling along 😂 he has so much to give to the sport and mattyb is correct.. he'd building a monster and i'm rooting them on along all the way. 

@maligned please help me on this one. A friend of mine and I are having a heated debate. He has no respect for smaller conference school. With that said, where would Campbell finish next year if they were in the Big 10? And... how many Big 10 teams do they outscore at the NCAAs next year? 

8 hours ago, Mattyb said:

@maligned please help me on this one. A friend of mine and I are having a heated debate. He has no respect for smaller conference school. With that said, where would Campbell finish next year if they were in the Big 10? And... how many Big 10 teams do they outscore at the NCAAs next year? 

Oof...that's tough. It's true they got 6 through, but 3 are seeded in the 30s--meaning they're guys that probably got in because of the automatic bid the NCAA is required to give the very thin Southern Conference. Getting those two Top 15s and a Top 30 back in addition to the other returnees is nice--but it's still bottom 3 or 4 in the Big 10. It's basically Purdue, and maybe not quite as good. Purdue brings back 7 qualifiers that are all seeded 11-19 except for one 2-time qualifier seeded 30th. There is just such a giant difference between having 6 or 7 qualifiers seeded 10-30 than having 5 guys seeded top 15--which is what the top 6 or 8 Big 10 teams all have. Campbell's problem is the same as Purdue's right now. No matter how amazing your coaching, you have to be able to stockpile blue chip talent year over year to have any chance at top half of the Big 10.

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Oof...that's tough. It's true they got 6 through, but 3 are seeded in the 30s--meaning they're guys that probably got in because of the automatic bid the NCAA is required to give the very thin Southern Conference. Getting those two Top 15s and a Top 30 back in addition to the other returnees is nice--but it's still bottom 3 or 4 in the Big 10. It's basically Purdue, and maybe not quite as good. Purdue brings back 7 qualifiers that are all seeded 11-19 except for one 2-time qualifier seeded 30th. There is just such a giant difference between having 6 or 7 qualifiers seeded 10-30 than having 5 guys seeded top 15--which is what the top 6 or 8 Big 10 teams all have. Campbell's problem is the same as Purdue's right now. No matter how amazing your coaching, you have to be able to stockpile blue chip talent year over year to have any chance at top half of the Big 10.

That’s the story with all bottom half big 10 teams. The top big ten teams are getting top 5 nationally ranked kids in pretty much every weight class. The bottom half are getting good kids but not the very top kids. Seems like just about every Big 10 team can beat just about every team outside of the Big 10  (with the exception of Maryland they aren’t very good). It is almost impossible for the lower Big 10 teams to move to the top. People keep saying the key to getting IU or Purdue to the top is getting kids to stay home. To be honest Indiana is not producing top 10 ranked high school kids in each weight (yet). The only way to get IU or Purdue to the top with home grown talent is to keep evolving as a state. We are on the right path but we got to take it to another level. Or... these teams need to start pulling the very top high school guys from other states like the current top teams do. Anyway you look at it... it is a tall task to take a lower ranked Big 10 team to the top. 

One thing I kinda noticed... it seems that it is hard to get academic money at IU or Purdue. With that said... this may be a huge reason that they are not moving to the top. If one team is giving a ton of academic money to kids that are meeting minimal NCAA thresholds to get academic money and another wants you to have a 4.0 in honors classes. That could be a huge athletic advantage for the first team. Im curious how much does this factor into our Big 10 team’s growth and success here??? Is it even a factor??? Gotta be a way that teams like Penn State are signing all these kids. All schools have the 9.9 athletic scholarships. They HAVE to be making the rest up with academic money! 

13 hours ago, Mattyb said:

That’s the story with all bottom half big 10 teams. The top big ten teams are getting top 5 nationally ranked kids in pretty much every weight class. The bottom half are getting good kids but not the very top kids. Seems like just about every Big 10 team can beat just about every team outside of the Big 10  (with the exception of Maryland they aren’t very good). It is almost impossible for the lower Big 10 teams to move to the top. People keep saying the key to getting IU or Purdue to the top is getting kids to stay home. To be honest Indiana is not producing top 10 ranked high school kids in each weight (yet). The only way to get IU or Purdue to the top with home grown talent is to keep evolving as a state. We are on the right path but we got to take it to another level. Or... these teams need to start pulling the very top high school guys from other states like the current top teams do. Anyway you look at it... it is a tall task to take a lower ranked Big 10 team to the top. 

One thing I kinda noticed... it seems that it is hard to get academic money at IU or Purdue. With that said... this may be a huge reason that they are not moving to the top. If one team is giving a ton of academic money to kids that are meeting minimal NCAA thresholds to get academic money and another wants you to have a 4.0 in honors classes. That could be a huge athletic advantage for the first team. Im curious how much does this factor into our Big 10 team’s growth and success here??? Is it even a factor??? Gotta be a way that teams like Penn State are signing all these kids. All schools have the 9.9 athletic scholarships. They HAVE to be making the rest up with academic money! 

I've read Penn State fans complain about how hard it is for kids to get academic money there.  Don't know how true it is.  I don't know how the finances work, but most of the top B1G schools have RTC's involved.  It deepens the quality of training partners and provides more opportunities for guys to train in Freestyle or Grego, at the minimum.  Who doesn't want to challenge themselves against Senior National Team members, World Champs, etc?