Purdue Year 5 under Ersland

6 hours ago, Pirates said:

I’m not one to talk much and I’ve been especially quiet after my situation ( which was fabricated by the papers and everything has been dropped. Also was admitted to being false by “victim”) but I was 7-4 last year in the ncaa season against the qualifiers this year with other wins in against Youssif, aj Neville’s, and 2 over all American stencil (also beat him 2 times last year)  coming during my redshirt year in folk style. My schedule last year was voted the toughest of any wrestler at any weight by the open mat. I’ve also placed higher at opens/ tournaments than many other qualifiers and all Americans this year. I wish I could have wrestled this year but there’s nothing anyone could have done about it and I will be wrestling for Oklahoma state next year.  but If I am mentioned on this board hope it will be accurate. Thanks

Thanks for chiming in. I realize looking back at my post that it was confusing. Someone said it didn't seem reasonable to suggest you would have been 4th at Big 10's this year if you'd wrestled. I was trying to suggest it WAS reasonable considering you had so many good wins last year and all those guys you beat made big strides forward.

I had you at 7-6 against this year's field though, which was wrong. However, I think you might be off too. I think you were 7-5 unless all those in-house wars with Aven count..ha. Either way, it's clear you would have been an All-American candidate and will be next year for the Cowboys. We'll be pulling for you.

2-2 vs. Stencel, 1-0 vs. Gilliland-Daniel, 1-0 vs. Parker, 1-0 vs. Gunning, 1-0 vs. Jensen, 0-2 vs. Jennings, 1-0 vs. Miller, 0-1 vs. Stoll

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

Thought you were going to OSU. 

He is...Oklahoma State University. You probably read it and thought of the one in Ohio. There's a third OSU too, by the way: Oregon State University.

Edited by maligned

2 minutes ago, maligned said:

He is...Oklahoma State University. You probably read it and thought of the one in Ohio. There's a third OSU too, by the way: Oregon State University.

I meant OK state, just shortened it. I love the move, they need a starter after White. Plus I’m a big OK State fan, love their history and watching them wrestle. 

On 3/14/2019 at 8:40 AM, Disco said:

Getting 6 in, the big dance, is a testament to their slow but steady improvement. All the boys are fighters, and right, losing the best guy, in their line up, hurts the recruiting hype, that a podium finisher gives the program. And I think Streck would have done it this year. He was a big time HS recruit and stayed in state to wrestle. PU needs to keep the good Indiana boys, in the program.

With the Big Ten Allotment as high as 10 in some weight classes, 6 is not a big accomplishment. Up until mid 1990's, the Big Ten allotment was was only around 3 wrestlers per weight for up to 48 entrants (with pig tails in a 32 man bracket), with a few more allotments after Big Ten's allowed if the weight class was tough (perhaps 5). 

And it is kind of the coaches job to know if your wrestler might be harassing his girlfriend "on-the-line". 

Edited by Powerline

14 hours ago, Powerline said:

With the Big Ten Allotment as high as 10 in some weight classes, 6 is not a big accomplishment. Up until mid 1990's, the Big Ten allotment was was only around 3 wrestlers per weight for up to 48 entrants (with pig tails in a 32 man bracket), with a few more allotments after Big Ten's allowed if the weight class was tough (perhaps 5). 

And it is kind of the coaches job to know if your wrestler might be harassing his girlfriend "on-the-line". 

Just for clarification, it was 7--and 8 if you count Aven. Tied for 9th in qualifiers if you count all 8. Tied for 14th if not. Same system of qualification for everyone in the country. The allotment system works well. The performance of guys across all conferences reflects the fairness of the quota system used. 

There's a definite criticism to be had for the lack of high-end talent at Purdue; but they have a good dual meet team and they legitimately had a top 15 total of qualifiers, no matter how you look at it. All 8 guys won matches and they were 16th in individual match wins among all teams at NCAAs.

22 hours ago, Powerline said:

Not sure about the coaches job to know, but it is his job to take care of it, after he finds out. 

14 hours ago, maligned said:

Just for clarification, it was 7--and 8 if you count Aven. Tied for 9th in qualifiers if you count all 8. Tied for 14th if not. Same system of qualification for everyone in the country. The allotment system works well. The performance of guys across all conferences reflects the fairness of the quota system used. 

There's a definite criticism to be had for the lack of high-end talent at Purdue; but they have a good dual meet team and they legitimately had a top 15 total of qualifiers, no matter how you look at it. All 8 guys won matches and they were 16th in individual match wins among all teams at NCAAs.

Aven - Alternate

14 hours ago, maligned said:

Next year is it for me. The lost Thornton this year, 174 & 197 next year. Do not see the depth I expected 5 years in. Parriot is too inconsistent Limmex regressed, Schroeder showed signs. If I don't see top top 7-8 team finish in Big Ten, I drop the hammer.

Only saving grace is OSU loses 4 studs, PSU 2-3, Michigan only loses 1, Rutgers loses alot, Minnesota a couple of 3-4 year starters but reloading

Name/Big Ten Seed / Class                                         BT Place

Devin Schroder - 125 - Redshirt Sophomore         8th Place (2-3)

Ben Thornton (7) - 133  - Redshirt Senior               7th place (3-2)

Nate Limmex (10) - 141 - Redshirt Junior                                10th place (1-3)

Parker Filius (ns) - 149     - RS Freshman                   14th (0-2)

Griffin Parriott (9) - 157 -  Redshirt Sophomore   9th Place (2-2)

Dylan Lydy (3) - 174 - Redshirt Junior                       5th place (3-2)

Lyon (8) - 184 - Sophomore                                         7th Place (3-2)

Cole Wysocki (14) - 165 - RS Jr                                    12th (2-3)

Christian Brunner (4) - 197 - Junior                           5th place (4-2)

Jacob Aven (NS) 285 -  Redshirt Senior                    8th place (1-3

Big Ten Tourney 21 -24 Record                                   Average place 8.5             Team 10th

On 3/27/2019 at 10:05 PM, Powerline said:

Next year is it for me. The lost Thornton this year, 174 & 197 next year. Do not see the depth I expected 5 years in. Parriot is too inconsistent Limmex regressed, Schroeder showed signs. If I don't see top top 7-8 team finish in Big Ten, I drop the hammer.

Only saving grace is OSU loses 4 studs, PSU 2-3, Michigan only loses 1, Rutgers loses alot, Minnesota a couple of 3-4 year starters but reloading

Name/Big Ten Seed / Class                                         BT Place

Devin Schroder - 125 - Redshirt Sophomore         8th Place (2-3)

Ben Thornton (7) - 133  - Redshirt Senior               7th place (3-2)

Nate Limmex (10) - 141 - Redshirt Junior                                10th place (1-3)

Parker Filius (ns) - 149     - RS Freshman                   14th (0-2)

Griffin Parriott (9) - 157 -  Redshirt Sophomore   9th Place (2-2)

Dylan Lydy (3) - 174 - Redshirt Junior                       5th place (3-2)

Lyon (8) - 184 - Sophomore                                         7th Place (3-2)

Cole Wysocki (14) - 165 - RS Jr                                    12th (2-3)

Christian Brunner (4) - 197 - Junior                           5th place (4-2)

Jacob Aven (NS) 285 -  Redshirt Senior                    8th place (1-3

Big Ten Tourney 21 -24 Record                                   Average place 8.5             Team 10th

They do have Travis Ford-Melton coming in and RS ? Coleman . Both very good and will make Immediate impact . 

The program is progressing each and every year. The kids are buying into the system and getting better. Two wrestlers were in the blood round this year in very winnable matches with both returning.

They have 8 guys that are 10-15 range that make them a very good dual team. Ersland and company are doing things the right way and continuing to improve the program. 

On 3/26/2019 at 4:46 PM, Powerline said:

Youre right you know all about the situation and what kind of person I am. I bet you got all the insights on coach ersland and the Purdue wrestling team too, also what it takes to build a program in the toughest conference in the country. Maybe once they get rid of him you should take over. Thanks everybody else for the support. I will become a better man from everything and continue to better myself. I’m done replying on this board and will let my actions in the future speak for themself. 

On 3/29/2019 at 2:51 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

Aven won matches, note that is PLURAL at nationals, he showed that he deserved to be there. 

Not saying he didn't deserve - but by qualifications requirements he did not meet the original Big Ten qualifications at 15-24 record with 8th place, nor was he at large.  

On 3/29/2019 at 2:57 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

The program is progressing each and every year. The kids are buying into the system and getting better. Two wrestlers were in the blood round this year in very winnable matches with both returning.

They have 8 guys that are 10-15 range that make them a very good dual team. Ersland and company are doing things the right way and continuing to improve the program. 

I hope you are right, but they will have 3 guys in that 10-15 range, with graduation of 133. But they have had 1-2 blood round guys for many years. But saying this is a hot seat year is not far off - part due to relative results, and secondly because this is the language the AD has been using in pushing the move.  Top 7 or 8 is the metric because of losses to graduation elsewhere.

#1 - he has 3 guys with higher probability to be there to AA. 157, 174, 197. It can be done, and needs to be done. Schroeder is on that next tier next year as a Jr. Lyons had decent season but the Big1 wore him down. 

#2 - Need to see if the new recruits developed, and if 1 or 2 other guys rebound. Could see Limmex back to 149, who knows.

13 hours ago, Powerline said:

I hope you are right, but they will have 3 guys in that 10-15 range, with graduation of 133. But they have had 1-2 blood round guys for many years. But saying this is a hot seat year is not far off - part due to relative results, and secondly because this is the language the AD has been using in pushing the move.  Top 7 or 8 is the metric because of losses to graduation elsewhere.

#1 - he has 3 guys with higher probability to be there to AA. 157, 174, 197. It can be done, and needs to be done. Schroeder is on that next tier next year as a Jr. Lyons had decent season but the Big1 wore him down. 

#2 - Need to see if the new recruits developed, and if 1 or 2 other guys rebound. Could see Limmex back to 149, who knows.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:57 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

I also agree with both of these assessments, #1 the program is, as I said also, slowly getting better each year. #2 The program needs to continue on the upswing each year, and if not then the coaches need to be challenged. Remember this is the Big Ten, the premier wrestling conference in the country, so its not as important how high you finish in the conference,its nice, but how you do on the national stage that matters more.