Purdue Year 5 under Ersland

Is Purdue headed in the right direction after year 5 for Ersland?  Where do you grade them?

IMO 2019-2020 is a hot seat year. Some are not exactly seeing the improvement promised by  assistant AD Calvin Williams preemptively pushed for the change at the end of 2014. An AA is needed or next year will be a hot seat season; Lyde could be a job saver. 

It has helped to have Indiana, Maryland, and Michigan State to push around, and Illinois is imploding, but 2 of the 4 programs have made changes, and Illinois will soon.  

I think the Tyrell Todd is good assistant coach, and by all reports they needed to get rid of Tanelli, but like many, I am hopeful Schopp will be a better long term upgrade, but results matter...

PURDUE SEASON Purdue Place     Big Tens Teams Team Points
2018 2019 10 14 42
2017 2018 9 14 59.5
2016 2017 12 14 26
2015 2016 10 14 34
2014 2015 10 14

2013 2014 11 12 34.5
2012 2013 9 12 38
2011 2012 9 12 51.5
2010 2011 9 12 51

I think Ersland is making small incremental steps and doing a good job.  I think he had the best dual team in years.   I hope he keeps the momentum going.  But last weeks BIG 10 tournament was disappointing.  Still waiting for that break through season to get in the top half of the conference.  But I hope that was a blip.   Would be nice to see Ersland get his first All-American.  Maybe Lydy, Bruner or some else from the cast can step up.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Big Ten seeding vs. Final finish

125- 9th Seed- 8th
133- 7th Seed- 7th
141- 10th Seed- 10th
149- Unseeded- 0-2
157- 9th seed- 9th
165- 11th seed- 11/12th
174- 3rd seed- 5th
184- 8th seed- 7th
195- 4th seed- 6th
285- Unseeded- 8th

I'd say overall that is a good performance and they wrestled to or above seeds in most areas.

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

125- 9th Seed- 8th
133- 7th Seed- 7th
141- 10th Seed- 10th
149- Unseeded- 0-2
157- 9th seed- 9th
165- 11th seed- 11/12th
174- 3rd seed- 5th
184- 8th seed- 7th
195- 4th seed- 6th
285- Unseeded- 8th

I'd say overall that is a good performance and they wrestled to or above seeds in most areas.

I have no opinion on the job the Purdue coach is doing, but from a pure math/logic standpoint I am not enamored with your analysis. Wrestling to seed just means the seeding committee accurately assessed their ability, not that they had a good performance. The contra argument would be that their seeds were too low and the coach has the ability to impact that. With 7 of 10 wrestlers in the bottom half of the bracket wrestling to seed seems a minimum standard.

Using a plus/minus analysis it looks like they actually wrestled to one spot below their overall seed.

125: +1

133: 0

141: 0

149: 0

157: 0

165: 0

174: -2

184: +1

195: -2

285: +1

Total: -1

5 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

125- 9th Seed- 8th
133- 7th Seed- 7th
141- 10th Seed- 10th
149- Unseeded- 0-2
157- 9th seed- 9th
165- 11th seed- 11/12th
174- 3rd seed- 5th
184- 8th seed- 7th
195- 4th seed- 6th
285- Unseeded- 8th

Its amazing how predictable wrestling can be, seeds are almost spot on.   But pretty par for course.   I would say the biggest bright spot is Aven getting 8th.

2 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Its amazing how predictable wrestling can be, seeds are almost spot on.   But pretty par for course.   I would say the biggest bright spot is Aven getting 8th.

Agree - great match with Stoll

Definetly hurts losing Streck, he’s probably top 4 in the Big Ten this year. I really like Ersland for what he has done on the recruiting trail, but these good recruits aren’t getting any better. Parriot has been a huge disappointment so far, Brunner hasn’t really changed in 3 years, and guys like Schroeder, Limmex, and Lyon are just ok. Lydy has been awesome. After watching him in high school and his freshman year, I thought he’d end up being a lineup placeholder, not a potential AA. If this was a more wrestling focused school, I’d say Ersland could be on the hot seat, but as long as they send the majority of the lineup to nationals and stay a ranked duel team, he’ll be staying.  

Getting 6 in, the big dance, is a testament to their slow but steady improvement. All the boys are fighters, and right, losing the best guy, in their line up, hurts the recruiting hype, that a podium finisher gives the program. And I think Streck would have done it this year. He was a big time HS recruit and stayed in state to wrestle. PU needs to keep the good Indiana boys, in the program.

39 minutes ago, RaiderColfax said:

Its going to be harder on Purdue now with instate recruiting with Angel bringing a lot of the talent to IU

Mostly lightweights?

Purdue getting Pokorney is a good get. One of the top recruits in Indiana.  

42 minutes ago, BClark said:

Mostly lightweights?

There are enough very good in state guys to go around.  Plenty.  The coaches have to change the perception. And keep them 

8 hours ago, BClark said:

Mostly lightweights?

One compared to Washington, south, Cornwell, and Covaciu transfered to IU. I’d say they have their share of the recruiting from Indiana going to IU rather than Purdue.

On 3/15/2019 at 10:53 PM, RaiderColfax said:

One compared to Washington, south, Cornwell, and Covaciu transfered to IU. I’d say they have their share of the recruiting from Indiana going to IU rather than Purdue.

As much as I would love to see Purdue land instate talent, Ersland has been doing a good job of getting good out of state guys that have better national results and rankings than our in state talent. 

On 3/13/2019 at 9:28 PM, Thor said:

Definetly hurts losing Streck, he’s probably top 4 in the Big Ten this year. I really like Ersland for what he has done on the recruiting trail, but these good recruits aren’t getting any better. Parriot has been a huge disappointment so far, Brunner hasn’t really changed in 3 years, and guys like Schroeder, Limmex, and Lyon are just ok. Lydy has been awesome. After watching him in high school and his freshman year, I thought he’d end up being a lineup placeholder, not a potential AA. If this was a more wrestling focused school, I’d say Ersland could be on the hot seat, but as long as they send the majority of the lineup to nationals and stay a ranked duel team, he’ll be staying.  

Streck finishing top 4 in the Big Ten this year seems a bit of a stretch to me.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:40 AM, Disco said:

Getting 6 in, the big dance, is a testament to their slow but steady improvement. All the boys are fighters, and right, losing the best guy, in their line up, hurts the recruiting hype, that a podium finisher gives the program. And I think Streck would have done it this year. He was a big time HS recruit and stayed in state to wrestle. PU needs to keep the good Indiana boys, in the program.

Getting six in is a bit empty in my opinion when none are seeded in the Top 10 and three of the six are seeded in the bottom half of their bracket.  They'll need some serious upsets just to have anyone still alive on Day 2.

6 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Getting six in is a bit empty in my opinion when none are seeded in the Top 10 and three of the six are seeded in the bottom half of their bracket.  They'll need some serious upsets just to have anyone still alive on Day 2.

You seriously don’t think Streck competes with Hemida who got third, or Trent Hilger who got fourth?

10 hours ago, SWINfan said:

He was 7-6 last year against THIS year's NCAA field and every guy he faced is seeded better nationally or has a better record this year except Stoll. He was just outside the 16 seeds last year and was most likely a #10-ish nationally type of guy this year. Him finishing anywhere between 3 and 8 in the Big 10 would have been a very reasonable picture of his hypothetical status in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

You seriously don’t think Streck competes with Hemida who got third, or Trent Hilger who got fourth?

Mason beat both and got 7th.  I think the B1G was deep and 3-8 were near coin flips. Draw matters.  Could he have squeezed in there? Sure.   But I wouldn't predict Top 4 with any certainty for sure.  But that's just my opinion.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:28 PM, Thor said:

Agree - can't believe no one was watching that crap happen on social media

Also, anyone else fill out brackets for NCAAs? I went and made my picks, and there’s a real possibility Lydy and Brunner both place. In my picks, I have Lydy hitting Skatzka in the ticket round who he’s never lost to, and Brunner hitting Traxler, who he’s split with. Really hoping for Ersland’s first AA this weekend. 

Interesting how Coach Goldman took so much criticism but usually got someone on the podium, or at least did more often than not.  Purdue seems to keep spinning its wheels year after year after year...  I dont get it.

Edited by matts

5 hours ago, matts said:

Interesting how Coach Goldman took so much criticism but usually got someone on the podium, or at least did more often than not.  Purdue seems to keep spinning its wheels year after year after year...  I dont get it.

That’s something I just can’t wrap my head around. Purdue is consistently a better team than IU, but how can they not field at least one good enough wrestler to be an AA? I’m asking for one a decade at this point. It’s getting ridiculous 

On 3/23/2019 at 6:09 AM, Thor said:

That’s something I just can’t wrap my head around. Purdue is consistently a better team than IU, but how can they not field at least one good enough wrestler to be an AA? I’m asking for one a decade at this point. It’s getting ridiculous 

Yes it is. I remember the last year of the Hinkel regime, they were on some great national recruits ready to jump on board including the Valencia's (Purdue connections with their coach), Stroker out of Iowa, and a couple of others that bailed after the Purdue assistant Athletic Director blew it all up over ego.

Still remember just a few short months before he axed Hinkel, Purdue had gained momentum in state, reestablishing a nationally recognized recruiting trail, and had hosted the 100 year celebration for the program, with a huge opportunity to build on the alumni base that had helped the team fund the new wrestling room, and was ready to do more. Then the same assistant AD got up in front of hundred's of faithful alum, grabs microphone sounding like he was Kevin Hart, and proclaimed loudly in a packed room that "Hinkel's my guy...."...good grief what a load of poopy diapers. Unfortunately, that part of alumni support has never recovered - beyond the direct Alumni, you had 15+ years of former wrestlers making their way to successful high school coaching positions and trees in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, CA, PA, etc. that were starting to pay dividends on raising the awareness of the program...  

Just prior to that, it took a while for Purdue to become the last team in the Big Ten to add a 2nd paid assistant, and even then, the Head Coach had little discretion in choosing the assistants they wanted to hire. Can't think of any other program that has that operational hierarchy.  Can you see a Jay Robinson acquiescing to such nonsense?

On 3/18/2019 at 9:17 AM, maligned said:

He was 7-6 last year against THIS year's NCAA field and every guy he faced is seeded better nationally or has a better record this year except Stoll. He was just outside the 16 seeds last year and was most likely a #10-ish nationally type of guy this year. Him finishing anywhere between 3 and 8 in the Big 10 would have been a very reasonable picture of his hypothetical status in my opinion.

Edited by Pirates
Want to delete