Darden Schurg NCAA DIII Champion!

Wabash's Darden Schurg pulled a rabbit out of a hat and won himself a National Championship tonight in Roanoake VA.  A two-time Indiana HS State Runnerup at Crown Point, Schurg was down 3-1 in the final period and tied the match via a stalling penalty point and an illegal move/hold penalty point (think it was grabbing the headgear).  Jairod James from Mt. Union got in deep on a double leg shot in sudden victory, but Sshurg rolled him through, elevator style, and came out on top for the winning takedown.  

174 lb. Final Score:
Darden Schurg 5
Jairod James 3 SV1

Congratulations Darden!

5 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

congrats!  wabash is doing something right!

I'll add that while Kyle Hatch didn't finish quite as strong as he would have liked, he did give National Champion Lucas Jeske his toughest match, losing 9-7 SV1.  

I was also impressed with Owen Doster at 133.  He didn't place but was impressive in a couple of wins and his losses were by 1 point to the 4 seed (who finished 3rd) and 2 points to the 8 seed (who finished 5th).

Those two stood out to me in addition to Schurg. 

Tremendously proud of Darden for his achievement this past weekend. He gets better each time he competes. Darden represents Wabash with class in victory and defeat.

I'm sure Wabash is disappointed they aren't bringing back a team trophy to Crawfordsville this year. But, with all of their national qualifiers returning next season (as well as many others capable of scoring big points at nationals) look for them to earn a trophy next year and potentially contend for a national title.