DII and DII Champs get NCAA DI birth?

I think they used to do this for awhile? Anyone know why they stopped? I know of a couple guys that won from DII. Seem like it happened quite a bit in the 80's. I think it would be cool to see how they would do.

Jesse Reyes from Cal Bakersfield- 142        1984

Jack Cuvo (East Stroudsburg)- 118          1988 and 1989

Carlton Haselrig (Pittsburgh-Johnstown)- 275            1987, 1988, and 1989

Dan Cuestas (Cal-State Bakersfield)-    126          1981 and 1982 

Tom Martucci (College of New Jersey)-190     1981  (Division 3) 

I know a lot of them would go down pretty hard, but it would be really cool for them and for us. A few years ago Notre Dame, Ohio had are really solid team, prolly one of the most dominate teams in wrestling. 

Edited by Bakercw

Sometimes in the late 90s they stopped letting d2 and D3 All Americans from competing in the D1 tournament.   Im not exactly how high you had to place or how one would get into the D1 tournament, maybe it was just the finalists.  I just think it was too complicated,  and maybe the D1 coaches didn't like the look of having D2 and D3 guys beating there studs.

I remember a guy I used to wrestle a lot in college.  His name was  Joe Wypisinski from Univeristy of Nebraska Omaha.   He was a 3 time D2 all-American at 177 and think in 1991 he took 2nd in D2 but he also placed 7th in the D1 tournament.