Big Ten Tournament Thread

4 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

No Red vs Lee finals as Lee drops his match vs McKenna. 

McKenna’s defense was unbelievable. There were probably three times I thought Lee had a takedown and he somehow got out. Very impressed

Seeding Carr 1st at 141 is probably the single worst error I’ve in college tournaments history.  What did they do go off last year for criteria.  I am a fan of southern Indiana wrestling, so I may be biased, but does anyone else not have a problem  Red v McKenna being the final. Not to mention that Carr ( the guy they seeded 1st, off of some kind of weird criteria I can only assume) has not only lost to Red but will be going for 7th place.  It just sucks when you already see the finals match in the semis SMH.

11 minutes ago, The wall said:

Seeding Carr 1st at 141 is probably the single worst error I’ve in college tournaments history.  What did they do go off last year for criteria.  I am a fan of southern Indiana wrestling, so I may be biased, but does anyone else not have a problem  Red v McKenna being the final. Not to mention that Carr ( the guy they seeded 1st, off of some kind of weird criteria I can only assume) has not only lost to Red but will be going for 7th place.  It just sucks when you already see the finals match in the semis SMH.

I wouldn't short on Chad Red.  We all know the talent is there, yet he is a decided underdog against McKenna.  That said, the seeding was simple.  Carr was undefeated in Big Ten matches, no one else was.  Carr skipped the match vs. Lee in the PSU dual so that was strategic.  Sucks, but it is done often these days.  It was reported he had a "banged up" knee.  Maybe he does.  He certainly didn't look great this weekend.  Could his losses to Red and Moran have been due to him being less than 100?  Or just the fact that the weight class is deep.

But I get what you are saying.  Not many really thought Carr was the best wrestler in the weight class.

Session II Results 

Note: Green indicates still in the Championship bracket.  Red = Eliminated.  Black = Alive in Wrestlebacks

133 - Stevan Micic MFF'd to Luke Pletcher.  He falls to the consolation semifinal vs. Ethan Lizak.  Will he MFF again in the morning?
133 - Paul Konrath lost by TF to Ethan Lizak to be eliminated from the main bracket.  He then lost 3-2 to Jevon Parrish of Nebraska in the 9th Place bracket.  He had beaten Parrish earlier in the consis.  He is now eliminated.
141 - Chad Red is in the Finals with a solid 4-1 win over Kanen Storr over Michigan.  He'll face Joey McKenna Sunday night.
141 - Kyle Luigs dropped his blood round match to Tristan Moran 14-5.  He won 9-5 over NW's Alex McKenna in the 9th Place bracket. He will face Nate Limmex of Purdue in that semifinal.
141 - Nick Lee fell to Joey McKenna of Ohio State 5-4 and drops to the consolation semifinal to face Wisconsin's Tristan Moran, who gave Nick his only other loss on the season.
174 - Drew Hughes won by TF 20-5 over Mitch Bowman of Iowa and then lost 7-0 to Mikey Labriola of Nebraska.  He'll wrestle for 7th Place against Ryan Christensen of Wisconsin.
174 - Jake Covaciu lost 7-3 to OSU's Ethan Smith in the blood round.  He fell to the 9th Place bracket and won his first match, 7-2 over Josh Ugalde of Maryland.  He'll face Mitch Bowman of Iowa in that semifinal.
174 - Dylan Lydy fell in the Semifinal 6-5 to Myles Amine of Michigan.  He will face Mikey Labriola in the consolation semifinal.
197 - Jake Kleimola won his blood round match 13-4 over Dylan Anderson of Minnesota, avenging an earlier season loss.  Jake then lost by fall to Beau Breske of Wisconsin.  He'll face MSU's Brad Wilton for 7th Place.  This is a rematch from the opening round.  Wilton won by fall (leading 7-1) and won earlier in the year against Kleimola.
285 - Mason Parris beat Fletcher Miller 6-2 and advanced to face David Jensen of Nebraska.  Jensen won by fall pushing Mason to the 7th Place match to face Jacob Aven.
285 - Jacob Aven won a 5-2 decision over Iowa's Sam Stoll and then dropped a 4-3 decision to MD's Youssif Hemida.  He faces Mason Parris for 7th Place.
285 - Fletcher Miller lost 6-2 to Mason Parris and was eliminated.

38 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

Lee with a revenge statement against Moran. Lee with the 11-3 major. He was in complete control the whole way. Able to finish all his shots unlike in the dual loss.

Lee moves to the third place bout.

You said it exactly like I was going to.  In the earlier loss, Lee couldn't finish his shots and Moran scrambled his way to a SV win.  Today, Nick had NO problems and finished easily and quickly.  A nice win for Nick.  He gets Mitch McKee in the 3rd Place match later this afternoon.  He has not wrestled McKee, in Folkstyle (at least in college).  I know they are at least 1-1 in freestyle.  

Other Session III results
141 - Kyle Luigs lost his 9th Place semifinal to Nate Limmex of Purdue 11-3.  Limmex controlled the action and didn't let Luigs get into funky scrambles.

174 - Jake Covaciu lost a 6-4 SV1 decision to Joe Grello of Rutgers.  Covaciu battled back to tie it late, but gave up the TD in sudden victory.

174 = Dylan Lydy loses a heartbreaker on :05 of riding time, 4-3 TB2.  He'll face OSU's Ethan Smith for 5th Place.  Lydy beat Smith in the Quarterfinal 5-1.

Up next  Drew Hughes, Jake Kleimola, Mason Parris and Jacob Aven wrestling for 7th Place, starting now.

Edited by SWINfan

More Session III results

174 - Drew Huges finished in 7th Place getting a MFF from Ryan Christensen of Wisconsin. With the 7th Place finish Drew automatically qualifies for the NCAA Championships beginning March 21.

197 - Jake Kleimola settles for 8th Place dropping a 9-5 decision to Brad Wilton of MSU.  Jake had a 4-3 lead in the 3rd Period but gave up a TD and 4 quick backs late.  He will not qualify for the NCAA Championships.

285 - Mason Parris gets a 7-3 win over fellow Hoosier Jacob Aven for a 7th Place finish.  The win automatically qualifies Mason for the NCAAs.  We'll see how the 7th Place finish affects his seed.  An example of how deep 285 is in the Big Ten, Mason beat Youssif Hemida in the opening round and Hemida won his way through wrestlebacks and will wrestle for 3rd Place.

133 - Stevan Micic MFF'd out to 6th Place.  Not sure I mentioned that earlier.

141 Joey McKenna handles Chad Red pretty easily, winning a 9-2 decision.  Red finishes 2nd.

141 Nick Lee with a solid 12-4 major decision over Mitch McKee of Minnesota to take 3rd place.

Both Red and Lee qualify for the NCAA Championships.

Good Tournament....

Dylan Lydy finished his tourney with another win over Ethan Smith to take 5th Place.

Penn State runs away with it winning by 35 points with a total of 157.5.  

Not a ton of big highlights in the Finals...
125 - Sebastian Rivera downed Spencer Lee 6-4 SV-1 in an exciting match.  Definitely worth watching if you missed it live.

165 - Alex Marinelli beat 2x National Champ Vincenzo Joseph, the 2nd time he has won head to head.  Both times, he has been able to beat Joseph at his own game by going upper body and avoiding the inside trip, maneuvering for a 6 point move.  Joseph will have to make an adjustment if they meet again at the NCAA if he wants to win his 3rd.

285 - Anthony Cassar got a late takedown to beat undefeated Gable Steveson 4-3.  Neither could get to a lot of offense and the match was much more strategic and slow than I thought it might be.  But Cassar showed the Natty isn't automatic for Gable just yet.

I’ll add a couple more

149- Ashnault vs Jordan was a good one as well. 

157- Nolf is just fun to watch. I’m not one to generally say someone is a lock but Nolf is above and beyond everyone else here

Nickal- another one that just doesn’t make mistakes and can turn it on when he needs too. What’s even better is when they were given the trophy and doing photos, he was reaching and Lee’s shoulder and giving him the ol wet willy

55 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

I’ll add a couple more

149- Ashnault vs Jordan was a good one as well. 

157- Nolf is just fun to watch. I’m not one to generally say someone is a lock but Nolf is above and beyond everyone else here

Nickal- another one that just doesn’t make mistakes and can turn it on when he needs too. What’s even better is when they were given the trophy and doing photos, he was reaching and Lee’s shoulder and giving him the ol wet willy

Nolf and Nickal are two of my favorite wrestlers.  Watching most every match of theirs the past two years has been a ton of fun and often leaves me shaking my head in amazement.  They both tend to make really good wrestlers look like virtual rag dolls.  

8 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Not a ton of big highlights in the Finals...

Ha...then you mention 30% of the weights where the defending national champ or undefeated #1 phenom loses. Those 3 matches made it well worth watching the finals. 

A few thoughts on those 3 matches heading into NCAAs:

1. Will the committee reward Rivera with the #1 overall seed despite the bumped-up loss to Micic when Piccininni also owns a win over Lee and still stands undefeated? I definitely feel he deserves it, but either way Lee will most likely have to beat both of them to win a second title. No small task.

2. Man, Marinelli has Joseph's upper body ties and hooks figured out. It will be fireworks again if they meet in the final, but the big question is going to be whether Marinelli can get past the rest of the field where he'll see plenty of guys with more of an outside/low-attack game than Joseph. (Also...does anyone else think these guys accidentally swapped first or last names? Vincenzo Marinelli would be a beast on the senior circuit for Italy.)

3. Cassar's takedown was a thing of beauty, but I thought Steveson looked mostly in control until then. I'd still pick Gable to win NCAAs for two reasons: 1) I think he's less vulnerable to losing before the finals than Cassar and 2) I'm not convinced Cassar will get another split-second window like that very often for his blast double against the usually impenetrable Steveson.

Edited by maligned

5 hours ago, maligned said:

3. Cassar's takedown was a thing of beauty, but I thought Steveson looked mostly in control until then. I'd still pick Gable to win NCAAs for two reasons: 1) I think he's less vulnerable to losing before the finals than Cassar and 2) I'm not convinced Cassar will get another split-second window like that very often for his blast double against the usually impenetrable Steveson.

I agree...

But how about Cassar? Couldn't even secure a starting spot last year at 197, transforms his body into a HWT in the off-season & wins a Big10 title. This is the kind of guy I wouldn't bet against.

6 hours ago, maligned said:

Ha...then you mention 30% of the weights where the defending national champ or undefeated #1 phenom loses. Those 3 matches made it well worth watching the finals. 

A few thoughts on those 3 matches heading into NCAAs:

1. Will the committee reward Rivera with the #1 overall seed despite the bumped-up loss to Micic when Piccininni also owns a win over Lee and still stands undefeated? I definitely feel he deserves it, but either way Lee will most likely have to beat both of them to win a second title. No small task.

2. Man, Marinelli has Joseph's upper body ties and hooks figured out. It will be fireworks again if they meet in the final, but the big question is going to be whether Marinelli can get past the rest of the field where he'll see plenty of guys with more of an outside/low-attack game than Joseph. (Also...does anyone else think these guys accidentally swapped first or last names? Vincenzo Marinelli would be a beast on the senior circuit for Italy.)

I guess I just meant there wasn't a whole lot of unespected/surprises.  Definitely matches worth watching and the 3 mentioned are set up for future fireworks.  125 seeding will be interesting.  How do they seed Spencer Lee?  Rivera beat him twice.  Piccininni beat him and is undefeated.  Jack Mueller is undefeated.  Vitali Arujau just lost to Pat Glory for his first loss at 125. Ronnie Bresser's only loss is in SV to Rivera.  Pat Glory has 4 losses (2 to Lee, Piccininni, Arajau) but his 2nd loss to Lee was much closer than the first and he avenged his loss to Arajau in the conference tournament.  The top 7-8 seeds will be interesting to see how they shake out, both in their seeding and in the results.

Covaciu of IU and Limmex of Purdue get at-large bids. Danishek of IU left out.

Zeke Moisey, Malik Amine, Chase Singletary, and Sam Stoll are notable names among 9 other B10 at-large selections.