Big Ten Tournament Thread

I started a separate thread for the BTT, but don't forget to check the Hoosiers in College - Post Season Results/Updates thread for updates on the remaining Hoosiers in the DII and DII National Championships Saturday, plus updates on non-Big Ten Hoosiers wrestling in conference tournaments this weekend.

Wrestling starts at 10 am Central Time

Some thoughts on draws from some of the Indiana guys.....

@133 Stevan Micic is the definite favorite, but with Luke Pletcher and Roman Bravo-Young on his side, the Semifinal won't be a cakewalk.  He's handled Pletcher recently, but RBY is quick and a new opponent.  Desanto or Suriano will await on the other side.

@133 Paul Konrath draws Pletcher first round.  Tough matchup.  Best guess is for him to place in the Top 8, he'll need to beat AA Ethan Lizak in the blood round.

@141 Chad Red gets a pretty good draw.  He should beat Peter Lipari in round one.  He's 0-2 against #1 seed Michael Carr, but both were close so that is winnable.  If he gets to the Semis, Kanen Storr or Tristan Moran look better than Nick Lee or Joey McKenna.

@141 Kyle Luigs drew Mitch McKee in the first round.  His path to place Top 8 is likely having to beat the loser of Storr/Moran in the blood round.  Might be too tall an order, though he has wrestled well as of late.

@141 Nick Lee should be okay to the Semifinal where he will see Joey McKenna.  Lee and McKenna have traded 7-6 wins the past two seasons, so who knows what will happen there.  The winner of that match is the favorite to win it all.

@174 Drew Hughes has a decent path to place Top 8.  He faces Joe Grello of Rutgers in the opener (Hughes won 4-3 in dual) and then Mark Hall in the Quarterfinal.  The brick will send him to the consis where he'll likely face Ryan Christensen or Mitch Bowman.  He's split two close decisions against Christensen, so that may be his hurdle to placing Top 8.

@174 Jake Covaciu drew former IU Hoosier Devin Skatzka who beat him 8-3 previously.  Lose that one and he likely faces Dylan Lydy or Ethan Smith in the blood round.  He's wrestled both close so the possibility is there for the Soph.

@174 Dylan Lydy will likely have to beat Ethan Smith or Jake Covaciu to place Top 8.  Could finish as high as 2nd.

@197 Jake Kleimola - There are 3 potential roadblocks to placing Top 8 and all have beaten him before.  He gets MSU's Brad Wilton off the bat.  Lose there and he likely has to avenge an earlier 7-4 loss to Minny's Dylan Anderson.  Beat Wilton he advances to the consolation via a beat down from Bo Nickal.  With that path, his likely blood round match would be against Illinois' Andre Lee who beat him 4-2 early this season.  All are winnable matches but he's a definite underdog.

@285 Mason Parris gets a tough, tough draw.  He's on the opposite side of the bracket from Gable Stephenson, which is good.  But he opens with former AA Hemida from Maryland.  Mason beat him earlier 7-6.  Get past Hemida and he faces Conan Jennings who has beat Parris twice this year.  Win those two tough matches and the reward is Anthony Cassar who handled Mason easily.  The worst scenario is for him to lose to Hemida and Jennings also lose in the first round.  Not a likely scenario. Should he lose one of the first two matches, he could face Fletcher Miller, Chase Singletary or Trent Hilger in the blood round.  A win over Miller would be likely, but the other two won't make it easy even though he has beaten them both (he's also lost to Singletary).

@285 Jacob Aven has a tough road.  He faces Anthony Cassar of Penn St., then would likely see Iowa's former AA Sam Stoll in the blood round.  

@285 Fletcher Miller gets OSU's Chase Singletary to start.  Singletary won by major in the previous matchup.  Lose that match and he likely faces Mason Parris, Youssif Hemida or Conan Jennings in the blood round.  He'd be a decided underdog against all three.

2 hours ago, SIACfan said:

Great breakdown SWINfan.

But I can't help it. Gable's last name is not pronounced Stev-en-son or Steph-en-son.

I initially thought his name was Stev-en-son as well, but it is Steve-son. I only know this because of BTN & BTNplus.

That's weird....  I know it is Steveson and have typed it correctly many times because I screwed it up and initially thought it was Stevenson last year.  How in the hell I came up with Stephenson last night, I have no clue.  I typed it on my laptop so I can't even blame auto correct.  Hopefully, that will be my only dumbass moment of the weekend!  ha ha

This may offend some, but watching Drew Hughes wrestle is about as fun as watching paint dry.  After a first period with almost zero action, Hughes gets a takedown in the 2nd on a counter (Grello smartly chose neutral).  For the next minute and a half, Hughes got the legs in and sat on Grello's lower back and did nothing more than occasionally push his head on the mat with his forearm.  He made no attempt to turn him at all.  In the 3rd, Hughes chose top and made a few attempts to turn him and attempted a tilt when Grello was able to get to his base.  No back points, almost 4 minutes of riding time, a 3-0 win for Hughes and now I want to take a nap after that borefest. 

The only redeeming part of this is that he faces Mark Hall next and will have to do something different if he doesn't want to get DQ'd again for excessive stalling. 

2 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

This may offend some, but watching Drew Hughes wrestle is about as fun as watching paint dry.  After a first period with almost zero action, Hughes gets a takedown in the 2nd on a counter (Grello smartly chose neutral).  For the next minute and a half, Hughes got the legs in and sat on Grello's lower back and did nothing more than occasionally push his head on the mat with his forearm.  He made no attempt to turn him at all.  In the 3rd, Hughes chose top and made a few attempts to turn him and attempted a tilt when Grello was able to get to his base.  No back points, almost 4 minutes of riding time, a 3-0 win for Hughes and now I want to take a nap after that borefest. 

The only redeeming part of this is that he faces Mark Hall next and will have to do something different if he doesn't want to get DQ'd again for excessive stalling. 

That’s been his bread and butter. Hall will now drop him with atleast a major. 

1 minute ago, 1prouddad said:

That’s been his bread and butter. Hall will now drop him with atleast a major. 

I know he is good on top, but please do something while you're there!  On the main board in the "new rules" thread, a few people posted the idea of resetting to neutral if there is no turn from the top man after :30.  I'm beginning to think that may not be a bad idea.

Quick 1st Round Updates

133 - Micic bye; Has Dylan Duncan of Illinois in the Quarterfinal
133 - Konrath lost to Pletcher 12-4. Vs. Jevon Parris in wrestlebacks
141 - Red by fall over Peter Lipari of Rutgers. Faces Illinois' Michael Carr in the Quarterfinal
141 - Luigs lost by fall to Mitch McKee of Minnesota.  Faces Alec McKenna of NW in the consis
141 - Lee bye; Faces Iowa's Max Murin in the Quarterfinal
174 - Hughes 3-0 win over Joe Grello of Rutgers. Visits with PSU's Mark Hall in the Quarterfinal
174 - Lydy TF 17-2 over Braxton Cody of Northwestern. Quarterfinal vs. Ethan Smith of Ohio St.
174 - Covaciu lost 10-0 to Devin Skatzka of Minnesota. Vs. Josh Ugalde of MD in consis
197 - Kleimola lost by fall to Brad Wilton of MSU. Has a bye then faces loser of Dylan Anderson and Kollin Moore.  Likely Anderson for the chance to place in the Top 8.
285 - Parris with the most dominating 8-5 win possible over MD's Youssif Hemida.  He faces NW's Conan Jennings who has beaten him twice this season.
285 - Aven drops a 12-4 decision to Anthony Cassar of Penn St. He gets a bye then the loser of Steveson/Sam Stoll for a chance to finish Top 8.
285 - Miller drops a 4-0 dec to Chase Singletary of OSU.  He gets a bye then the loser of Parris/Jennings to get into the Top 8.

12 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Red leading the #1 Seed at 141 4-0.. Can he hold the lead?

Yes, he wins 8-4. Big win for Red. Hope he makes the finals now.

Lee up 4-3

Red gets Kanen Storr in the Semifinal and Nick Lee faces Joey McKenna.  Potential is there for Red v. Lee III

Full Quarterfinal Results

133 - Stevan Micic 9-4 dec over Dylan Duncan; Micic will face Luke Pletcher in the Semifinal
141 - Chad Red 8-4 dec over #1 seed Michael Carr; Red faces Kanen Storr in the Semifinal
141 - Nick Lee 8-3 dec over Max Murin; Lee gets a rematch with Joey McKenna in the Semifinal
174 - Drew Hughes loses by fall to Mark Hall; Hughes will face Iowa's Mitch Bowman in the Top 8 blood round
174 - Dylan Lydy with a nice 5-1 dec over Ethan Smith; Lydy faces Myles Amine in the Semifinal
285 - Mason Parris - Conan Jennings proves to be Parris' Kryptonite with a 9-7 win; Mason falls to the consis and will face Fletcher Miller to guarantee at least 8th Place.

Edited by SWINfan

Only 3 wrestlers active in the first round of wrestlebacks, all from IU and all winners.

133 - Paul Konrath gets an 8-3 win and will face Minnesota Gopher and former AA Ethan Lizak in the blood round.  The Big Ten only has 8 qualifiers this year so he would have to get an at-large if he can't take out Lizak.  I'll defer to Maligned on how likely that could be.

141 - Kyle Luigs won 7-0 over NW's Alex McKenna.  He'll face 4-seed Tristan Moran from Wisconsin to try to get in the Top 8.  The B1G has 9 allocations here so he stays alive even with a loss and gets a chance to wrestle for that 9th spot.  Win and that doesn't matter.

174 - Jake Covaciu gets an 8-2 win over Josh Ugalde of Maryland.  He will face Ethan Smith of OSU. With only 8 allocations, it's win or go home for Jake.

59 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Conan beats Mason again. Not sure if it's just age and experience getting him. Conan is around 23/24. Mason 18/19. 

We'll find out soon if it is just Conan or if Mason has problems in general with bigger guys.  He'll face Fletcher Miller next and then likely David Jensen from Nebraska who looks bigger than Conan.  

41 minutes ago, Caleb Spires said:

Huge upset! Jacob Aven of Purdue knocks off Iowa’s Sam Stoll 5-2.

Micic medical forfeited to Pletcher... hope it’s nothing serious. Red up now vs. Kanen Storr.

He had a big knee brace on this morning, but still looked good. Probably just going the Nolf route and focusing on nationals