Let's shake things up--new rules ideas

Dave Cloud

2 hours ago, gsmith58 said:

I have a small 106 son and so I'm, admittedly, biased and a bit prickly about this. Being that he's in a room(s) year-round, I'd sure like the idea of my son being able to compete against kids 'nearly' his size before he's a senior. This is why I proposed not eliminating this weight class from Frosh or JV events.  Undersized kids who are freshman or sophomores could still compete at the Frosh or JV levels against kids more their size.  

Not that I think it's a swell idea, but couldn't we apply this logic and similar 'generalization' to the heavyweight class? Not really the same because a 106 lb kid can still compete at 113.  A HWT can't compete at 220.  And generally HWT are not under developed underclassmen. 

Think of it this way... suppose there was a proposed rule change to remove 138 and add 95 with the reasoning that we already have 132 and 145 and having a wt class in the middle was too much AND adding 95 would give more opportunities to smaller kids.  Would you be for this change?

These are all big "What Ifs" so not a lot of reality of them happening but the lowest weight class has evolved from 98 to 103 to 106 because kids are getting bigger not smaller. I think kids cut too much weight (not all but some) and maybe this could help.  

No, I wouldn't want that. It is what it is. I think your proposed jump is too drastic, and would simply reallocate, what you perceive, as 'unfairness.' I thought wrestling prided itself on being a level playing field where the outliers could compete.

While there are no doubt a number of very good upperclass wrestlers sitting because of circumstances (Brownsburg, Perry, Mater Dei, etc), I would bet they're a number sitting simply because they have not put in the time and effort that their varsity counterpart has. 

I am only pointing out it depends on your perspective, and asking you to recognize there are a number, not just my son, of smaller underclass wrestlers that have some talent, have put in as much, if not more, time and effort, and are equally deserving as any upperclass backup. And, I'm pretty certain that if one could to equalize weight, Cernus and Cotty could compete with, say, the HWT finalists.

As far as cutting, you and I are of like mind, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.

55 minutes ago, Rookies03 said:

Think of it this way... suppose there was a proposed rule change to remove 138 and add 95 with the reasoning that we already have 132 and 145 and having a wt class in the middle was too much AND adding 95 would give more opportunities to smaller kids.  Would you be for this change?

These are all big "What Ifs" so not a lot of reality of them happening but the lowest weight class has evolved from 98 to 103 to 106 because kids are getting bigger not smaller. I think kids cut too much weight (not all but some) and maybe this could help.  

I'd like to know more about how it's gone in other states, but the idea of allowing teams to enter whichever 14 kids they want for individual tournaments intrigues me (still requiring one-per-weight-class for duals). All of these questions about "who's more deserving?" (the 100-lb freshman or the backup junior 145) could be decided by the coaches who know the kids' situations the best.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:03 AM, Coach Seltzer said:

I would like to see a riding point. 

If you ride a wrestler out for an entire period, 1pt will be added. You can only earn 1pt in a match. No need for riding time clock. 

A wrestler should be rewarded for a ride out. Most of the time the are called for stalling at some point. 

Y2, could you alert Coach Seltzer that Slivka hacked his account?

12 hours ago, maligned said:

I'd like to know more about how it's gone in other states, but the idea of allowing teams to enter whichever 14 kids they want for individual tournaments intrigues me (still requiring one-per-weight-class for duals). All of these questions about "who's more deserving?" (the 100-lb freshman or the backup junior 145) could be decided by the coaches who know the kids' situations the best.

Michigan does it for the state tournament.  I like that if you can't fill one weight but have 2 stud seniors stuck together you can get them both in the tournament.  There were 2 state finals matches between teammates this year I believe.  Some kid who may have not had a chance to compete came home a state-runner up.  Can't argue the kids deserved it if that's where they placed.

Edited by doctorWrestling
typo

On 3/11/2019 at 3:58 PM, doctorWrestling said:

Michigan does it for the state tournament.  I like that if you can't fill one weight but have 2 stud seniors stuck together you can get them both in the tournament.  There were 2 state finals matches between teammates this year I believe.  Some kid who may have not had a chance to compete came home a state-runner up.  Can't argue the kids deserved it if that's where they placed.

I know my HS team has double entered weights (2 189s) as our freshman 103 was hurt and saved for the Team State series. I think the reason Michigan can do this is they do not score any of the individual tournaments in the state series as they have Team Districts/Regionals/State to determine the champions.

Anybody see a big issue with hands to the face this year?  I know its already in the rules, but I think it should be a point of emphasis next season.  I saw a few matches that one kid would pretty well be open handed punching a kids forehead and nothing would get called.  I've heard we are soft in Fort Wayne though, so maybe this won't be as popular of an idea as I think.

I would like to see a greater emphasis be placed on the top man to turn the bottom man.  Too many times I see a top man throw in the legs and ride the bottom man with no good attempt to score.  I think stalling should be called more often on the top wrestler which would result in more turns as well as open things up for more scoring from the bottom.  It is my opinion that in most cases the bottom man is not stalling so much as he is being controlled by the top man. 

Earlier it was mentioned that the top man should get one point if he rides the bottom man for the entire period.  I could buy this if it were a case where one point is awarded to the top man who turns his opponent and rides him the entire period (without being called for stalling).  I would also add that the bottom man would get a point if the top man rides rides him out yet does not turn him (and bottom has not been called for stalling).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.