Academic All State Stats by Semi State

Kpbergman

I'm posting this because I thought it was something worth noting and somewhat interesting. I put together what I could.

Out of the 246 Juniors honored with Academic All-State status, 92 were Semi-State Qualifiers. 104 of the 224 Seniors also qualified. Below is a breakdown of those qualifiers by Semi State. I know there are some statistical issues with this and how some schools may not participate. The number of "Academic" includes honorable mention recipients as well. Four schools had 5 or more wrestlers qualify for both Academic All State and Semi State. They were Carmel (8), Columbus East (6), Garrett (6), and Penn (5).

Semi State Total Academic % Academic Seniors Senior Academic Junior Junior Academic
East Chicago Central 41 27.89% 80 25 67 16
New Haven (Fort Wayne) 55 33.33% 86 26 79 29
New Castle 46 28.75% 88 18 72 28
Evansville 54 37.50% 85 35 59 19

14 hours ago, Wade McClurg said:

Roncalli had 9 total wrestlers named academic all state.   5 of those wrestlers were semi state qualifiers too.  

Dude... that’s strong! 

Avon had 5. One had the highest gpa of all juniors, one had the second highest gpa of all seniors, three were state qualifiers and two of those guys won state!

14 hours ago, Wade McClurg said:

Roncalli had 9 total wrestlers named academic all state.   5 of those wrestlers were semi state qualifiers too.  

Slivka is listed as being in the 10th grade on the Semi State roster list, but is on the Junior Academic All State list. That is probably how I missed it.

9 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Dude... that’s strong! 

Avon had 5. One had the highest gpa of all juniors, one had the second highest gpa of all seniors, three were state qualifiers and two of those guys won state!

I only saw Garcia, Brewer, and Conley that qualified for both Academic and Semi State. I double checked the Academic list and the Semi State roster.

8 hours ago, Kpbergman said:

Slivka is listed as being in the 10th grade on the Semi State roster list, but is on the Junior Academic All State list. That is probably how I missed it.

I only saw Garcia, Brewer, and Conley that qualified for both Academic and Semi State. I double checked the Academic list and the Semi State roster.

Avon Jr. is Nolan McAfee made it to Regionals I believe. Still a very smart young man . 

9 hours ago, Kpbergman said:

Your right we only had three make it to semi state. Just super proud of other two brainiacs that didn’t make it too. Both are super impressive. We had 5 total. 3 were semi state qualifiers. 

Edited by Mattyb

http://www.ihswca.org/news/2019-academic-all-state

It is obvious that excelling at "Academics" and Wrestling is the quickest way to attract D1 recruiters:

Jacob Moran        4.35 G.P.A.

Silas Allred           4.08 G.P.A.

Carson Brewer     3.6   G.P.A.

Asa Garcia           3.57  G.P.A.

Cayden Rooks     3.5   G.P.A.

All of the above are State Champs but more importantly are on the academic -all-state list. Oh yeah and all will be attending a D1 University for little to no money out of pocket. A combination of academic / athletic scholarship is the secret.

31 minutes ago, cradleU said:

http://www.ihswca.org/news/2019-academic-all-state

It is obvious that excelling at "Academics" and Wrestling is the quickest way to attract D1 recruiters:

Jacob Moran        4.35 G.P.A.

Silas Allred           4.08 G.P.A.

Carson Brewer     3.6   G.P.A.

Asa Garcia           3.57  G.P.A.

Cayden Rooks     3.5   G.P.A.

All of the above are State Champs but more importantly are on the academic -all-state list. Oh yeah and all will be attending a D1 University for little to no money out of pocket. A combination of academic / athletic scholarship is the secret.

1st thing they ask in recruiting process, at least for us . What’s your grades look like . It wasn’t Wrestling. 

Edited by TeamGarcia

5 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Your right we only had three make it to semi state. Just super proud of other two brainiacs that didn’t make it too. Both are super impressive. We had 5 total. 3 were semi state qualifiers. 

Clearly the Brewer kid must have a really smart mom.  Only thing questionable is her decision on who to marry.  😀

Edited by Kookie953

Carmel had 9 Academic All State this season.

8 of them were Semi State Qualifiers.

182 Cameron Bacon, GPA 3.87, SAT 1420

195 Jackk Heldt, GPA 4.31, SAT 1440

106 Suhas Chundi  GPA 4.41, 1590 SAT (Yep, he missed one.  We remind him often of it!)

152 Gabe Davin  GPA 3.42

126 Joey Langeman, GPA 3.65

160 Garrett Sharp GPA 4.13

220 Haakon VanBeynen GPA 3.60

285 Jon Williams GPA 3.35

Brendan Mattingly GPA 3.85

It's quite impressive what they Greyhounds do in the classroom.  

22 hours ago, TeamGarcia said:

c1st thing they ask in recruiting process, at least for us . What’s your grades look like . It wasn’t Wrestling. 

To add to that... Get that GPA as high as possible.

Also... GET A HIGH SAT OR ACT SCORE!!! I have said it before. Start taking SAT or ACT early. I would say sophomore year at latest. Figure out which one your wrestler is better at and focus on that test. For Carson it was his SAT. The great thing about SAT is that it is given by The College Board. The college board offers Khan Academy training (SAT prep) free on its website. After you take the test, Khan Academy will know the result and cater a lesson plan for that student. Get on there everyday (5 days a week) and practice SAT. While you can not study for specific SAT questions or test, you CAN get really good at working through the test and become really good at taking test. Take the actual test as many times as possible until you get the score you want. The test will be super scored by the vast majority of colleges. For example: If you get a 650 on math and a 700 on reading the first test and 700 on math and 650 on reading the second time.... your score will be 1400. TEST PREP IS KEY!!!

The NCAA only allows 9.9 scholarships per team. most team carry over 30 kids. DO THE MATH!!!! You want that full ride??? Then most likely you will need some academic help!!! Unless you are a very top guy in the nation in a weight class, you are not getting a full D1 ride. With this said.. the NCAA requires student athletes to meet certain thresholds (GPA,SAT score, class rank, or ACT scores) to get the academic money. If this was not the case, they would just give everybody money and say "he's getting a full academic ride". 

This is information that my family had to find out on our own. I truly hope that this helps a few kids that want to wrestle in college. 

BTW... @Kookie953 Mrs. Mattyb is without doubt the beauty in our household. You cant look like me and get a catch like that by being dumb!!!  Haha!!!

Edited by Mattyb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.