Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
H.B.

Best Teams

Recommended Posts

This year’s state tournament was a low scoring affair for the champs in comparison to the past three years, but nonetheless this Cathedral team went through hell and came out on top. While I think last year’s team was the best Cathedral team of all-time, this year is in the top three as it is a state title team. What other teams do you guys think showed the best versions of themselves? I’d give a nod to Avon. A program that’s been on the come up for years and after wrestling above their seed at IHSWCA Team State, I thought the state finals was their breakout performance that showed the true heart of the Orioles and that they belong in the conversation of powerhouse programs in Indiana. I’ll give some more teams a shout out below. Who do you guys think is the best version of a specific team?

 

Avon - 2019 IHSAA Team Runners-Up, 72.0 points (2 Champs, 1 Runner-Up, 1 5th Place, 7 Qualifiers; 5th at IHSWCA State Duals)

Brownsburg - 2017 IHSAA Team Champions, 100.0 points (1 Champ, 2 Runner-Ups, 1 3rd Place, 1 4th Place, 1 5th Place, 1 7th Place, 8 Qualifiers; IHSWCA State Dual Champs)

Cathedral - 2018 IHSAA Team Champions, 108.0 points (1 Champ, 3 Runner-Ups, 1 3rd Place, 1 4th Place, 1 7th Place, 10 Qualifiers)

Evansville Mater Dei - 2003 IHSAA Team Champions, 42-23 score, would have scored unprecedented 158.0 team points at individual tournament (4 Champs, 1 Runner-Up, 2 3rd Place, 10 Qualifiers)

Perry Meridian - 2012 IHSAA Team Champions, FINAL, 43-14 score (1 Champ, 2 Runner-Ups, 2 3rd Place, 1 4th Place, 2 7th Place, 9 Qualifiers)

Warren Central - 2016 IHSAA Team Champions, 109.5 points, RECORD (1 Champ, 3 Runner-Ups, 2 5th Place, 2 7th Place, 8 Qualifiers; IHSWCA State Dual Runners-Up)

Other teams I’m thinking of... Lawrence North, 2005; Crown Point, 2009; Penn, 2015

That Mater Dei squad... Just typing that gave me chills. Were they that scary?!?!?!?

Edited by H.B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this based on a dual meet team or tournament scoring. Would love to see how some old teams would fare against these schools lineups this year. Avon’s 05 07 and 14 and 15 teams were pretty solid dual wise but wouldn’t be able to beat this years in a state tournament. (would love to see the duals though I’m biased so I’m taking the 14 and 15 teams in a dual) Perry had a senior heavy team in 14 that was a very solid dual team would probably compete to be their best lineup. Would also throw some old franklin community dual teams in there they used to always do well. Who wouldn’t love a dual tournament of all the best mater dei teams to see who’s best I’m taking that mater dei team in 03. Cant forget that Lawrence North dual team of 05 believe it was Humphreys senior year that team was legit as well I agree. Can someone from the region give some info on the best teams from up there in the past from , Mishawaka, penn, portage, merrillville, crown point, Hobart and others? 

Edited by QuinnHarris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, H.B. said:

This year’s state tournament was a low scoring affair for the champs in comparison to the past three years, but nonetheless this Cathedral team went through hell and came out on top. While I think last year’s team was the best Cathedral team of all-time, this year is in the top three as it is a state title team. What other teams do you guys think showed the best versions of themselves? I’d give a nod to Avon. A program that’s been on the come up for years and after wrestling above their seed at IHSWCA Team State, I thought the state finals was their breakout performance that showed the true heart of the Orioles and that they belong in the conversation of powerhouse programs in Indiana. I’ll give some more teams a shout out below. Who do you guys think is the best version of a specific team?

 

Avon - 2019 IHSAA Team Runners-Up, 72.0 points (2 Champs, 1 Runner-Up, 1 5th Place, 7 Qualifiers; 5th at IHSWCA State Duals)

Brownsburg - 2017 IHSAA Team Champions, 100.0 points (1 Champ, 2 Runner-Ups, 1 3rd Place, 1 4th Place, 1 5th Place, 1 7th Place, 8 Qualifiers; IHSWCA State Dual Champs)

Cathedral - 2018 IHSAA Team Champions, 108.0 points (1 Champ, 3 Runner-Ups, 1 3rd Place, 1 4th Place, 1 7th Place, 10 Qualifiers)

Evansville Mater Dei - 2003 IHSAA Team Champions, 42-23 score, would have scored unprecedented 158.0 team points at individual tournament (4 Champs, 1 Runner-Up, 2 3rd Place, 10 Qualifiers)

Perry Meridian - 2012 IHSAA Team Champions, FINAL, 43-14 score (1 Champ, 2 Runner-Ups, 2 3rd Place, 1 4th Place, 2 7th Place, 9 Qualifiers)

Warren Central - 2016 IHSAA Team Champions, 109.5 points, RECORD (1 Champ, 3 Runner-Ups, 2 5th Place, 2 7th Place, 8 Qualifiers; IHSWCA State Dual Runners-Up)

Other teams I’m thinking of... Lawrence North, 2005; Crown Point, 2009; Penn, 2015

That Mater Dei squad... Just typing that gave me chills. Were they that scary?!?!?!?

yes that Mater Dei team was that scary..my team had 5 state qualifiers on it and 11 SSQ and they beat up by 60 plus.. they were UNREAL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, QuinnHarris said:

Is this based on a dual meet team or tournament scoring. Would love to see how some old teams would fare against these schools lineups this year. Avon’s 05 07 and 14 and 15 teams were pretty solid dual wise but wouldn’t be able to beat this years in a state tournament. (would love to see the duals though I’m biased so I’m taking the 14 and 15 teams in a dual) Perry had a senior heavy team in 14 that was a very solid dual team would probably compete to be their best lineup. Would also throw some old franklin community dual teams in there they used to always do well. Who wouldn’t love a dual tournament of all the best mater dei teams to see who’s best I’m taking that mater dei team in 03. Cant forget that Lawrence North dual team of 05 believe it was Humphreys senior year that team was legit as well I agree. Can someone from the region give some info on the best teams from up there in the past from , Mishawaka, penn, portage, merrillville, crown point, Hobart and others? 

This is based on a combination of dual meet strength and team scoring. The 2014 Perry Meridian team you mentioned was a very talented group. The 2014 squad went 23-2 that year, suffering a shocking loss at the hands of Franklin Community, 27-26, followed by a foolish loss to a game Penn squad, and finished 4th at both the IHSWCA State Duals and IHSAA Finals with only three placers in LeCount, James, and Elliott, among eight total qualifiers. Not to mention, they led the majority of the tournament with just those three making it through Friday, consolation rounds allowed Cathedral, Franklin, and Yorktown to pull ahead of them. The Cathedral team that won the title that year won in one of the most unconvincing fashions. They finished 5th at IHSWCA State Duals and had six losses on the year losing to about every other top squad in Indiana. The best team from top to bottom that year was Franklin Community, in my opinion. Losing Petrole Friday night really hurt their chance at a team title. 20-0, Traicoff champs, IHSWCA State Duals champs, IHSAA Runners-Up. The following year, Perry Meridian, Mater Dei, and Penn returned as the big three of 2015. Mater Dei won IHSWCA State Duals over Perry Meridian, 31-27. Perry beat Penn 33-32 to get to the finals in a death match of a dual. That squad went 19-1 and Mater Dei went 23-0 that year if I remember correctly. EMD had secured the #1 dual ranking, but Perry Meridian was the #1 team in the power rankings heading into the postseason, but they had the most nightmarish semi-state meltdown I’ve ever seen. They were predicted to get about 8-9 through and they dropped like flies in the ticket round after advancing 13 through to New Castle. Also, another squad that was very good that I don’t think gets enough credit was the 2013 Warren Central team. At one point, I thought they were gonna figure it out and push past Perry, but injuries plagued the squad and my boy Georgio Blades had the unfortunate draw of Wes Bernard in the ticket round. They finished sixth that year at the IHSAA Finals, and don’t forget my 2011 Roncalli boys! Had the misfortune of Perry in the first round of Team State in 2011. Lost 35-27.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, H.B. said:

This is based on a combination of dual meet strength and team scoring. The 2014 Perry Meridian team you mentioned was a very talented group. The 2014 squad went 23-2 that year, suffering a shocking loss at the hands of Franklin Community, 27-26, followed by a foolish loss to a game Penn squad, and finished 4th at both the IHSWCA State Duals and IHSAA Finals with only three placers in LeCount, James, and Elliott, among eight total qualifiers. Not to mention, they led the majority of the tournament with just those three making it through Friday, consolation rounds allowed Cathedral, Franklin, and Yorktown to pull ahead of them. The Cathedral team that won the title that year won in one of the most unconvincing fashions. They finished 5th at IHSWCA State Duals and had six losses on the year losing to about every other top squad in Indiana. The best team from top to bottom that year was Franklin Community, in my opinion. Losing Petrole Friday night really hurt their chance at a team title. 20-0, Traicoff champs, IHSWCA State Duals champs, IHSAA Runners-Up. The following year, Perry Meridian, Mater Dei, and Penn returned as the big three of 2015. Mater Dei won IHSWCA State Duals over Perry Meridian, 31-27. Perry beat Penn 33-32 to get to the finals in a death match of a dual. That squad went 19-1 and Mater Dei went 23-0 that year if I remember correctly. EMD had secured the #1 dual ranking, but Perry Meridian was the #1 team in the power rankings heading into the postseason, but they had the most nightmarish semi-state meltdown I’ve ever seen. They were predicted to get about 8-9 through and they dropped like flies in the ticket round after advancing 13 through to New Castle. Also, another squad that was very good that I don’t think gets enough credit was the 2013 Warren Central team. At one point, I thought they were gonna figure it out and push past Perry, but injuries plagued the squad and my boy Georgio Blades had the unfortunate draw of Wes Bernard in the ticket round. They finished sixth that year at the IHSAA Finals, and don’t forget my 2011 Roncalli boys! Had the misfortune of Perry in the first round of Team State in 2011. Lost 35-27.

Dual meets were a lot of fun during those year I’m an Avon grad 2015 hints why I am biased I believe we had a better dual team in 2014 than 2015 unfortunately that was the first year with the new team state tournament if I remember correctly, and somehow we did not qualify, but would’ve loved to see how we would’ve done. So glad they brought some version of it back yes this is an individual sport but for me at Avon I had grown up with those kids since we were 5-8 years old we graduated 14 seniors together and 10 were varsity wrestlers it was a team for us and my favorite memories from this sport aren’t the individual tournaments but the Disney duals and the weekends 6 ways where I could mess around with my teammates and root each other on all day. I hope that one day the IHSAA realizes what they took away and try to bring it back, but the coaches association has done a great job bringing us something that is close! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ian Heath said:

How bout the 2004 Griffith team w Escobedo tsirtsis and Hernandez 

I think this opens the door for best teams to not win a team title. This doesn’t mean a program as a whole, but a specific year or season where a team was stellar and didn’t take home the IHSAA team title 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ian Heath said:

How bout the 2004 Griffith team w Escobedo tsirtsis and Hernandez 

had Jose escobedo , david martin and adame too!

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Where is this record ? 

It’s an unofficial record. The IHSAA didn’t score the state tournament in 2003 because the official team champion was determined in the dual tournament the next week. Mike Goebel, however, in an interview with the Indianapolis Star took the results of that year’s individual state tournament and scored them according to how it’s scored today, and the team unofficially scored 158.0 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

had Jose escobedo , david martin and adame too!

You were apart of some good New Castle teams weren’t you? Didn’t Coach Peck snag a few semi-state titles and make a few Team State appearances?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, H.B. said:

You were apart of some good New Castle teams weren’t you? Didn’t Coach Peck snag a few semi-state titles and make a few Team State appearances?

yes in 02' we beat Yorktown for the dual Semi state title and placed 5th that ihsaa year... 4xNCC,SECTIONAL and 3x regional champs when I was there..My cousins  teams were really good in the 90s and he was the last NC wrestler to win state and pinned his way through State at Hw in combined 10 minutes iirc right.. NC ws bk 2 bk runner ups at state and imho would have won in 96 Had Bubba Dickerson would have not passed a way but we will never and that's a sad story in its own right..But yes peck had some great squads over the years and the 106 straight dual meet streak and 27 straight sectional titles can attest to that.. and 11 straight regionals iirc..in 96 we had 8 SQ with 6 placers and should've been 9 with a returning state champ that passed before his senior season... one of the best teams not to win it I believe..was ranked nationally as well.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, H.B. said:

It’s an unofficial record. The IHSAA didn’t score the state tournament in 2003 because the official team champion was determined in the dual tournament the next week. Mike Goebel, however, in an interview with the Indianapolis Star took the results of that year’s individual state tournament and scored them according to how it’s scored today, and the team unofficially scored 158.0 points.

Well, what if you took Bloomington (7) Champions and they probably have a few Placers back then . Where would they fall in that unofficial scoring system  ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TeamGarcia said:

Well, what if you took Bloomington (7) Champions and they probably have a few Placers back then . Where would they fall in that unofficial scoring system  ? 

With my calculations and I’m not math genius they would’ve scored 600. I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, QuinnHarris said:

Is this based on a dual meet team or tournament scoring. Would love to see how some old teams would fare against these schools lineups this year. Avon’s 05 07 and 14 and 15 teams were pretty solid dual wise but wouldn’t be able to beat this years in a state tournament. (would love to see the duals though I’m biased so I’m taking the 14 and 15 teams in a dual) Perry had a senior heavy team in 14 that was a very solid dual team would probably compete to be their best lineup. Would also throw some old franklin community dual teams in there they used to always do well. Who wouldn’t love a dual tournament of all the best mater dei teams to see who’s best I’m taking that mater dei team in 03. Cant forget that Lawrence North dual team of 05 believe it was Humphreys senior year that team was legit as well I agree. Can someone from the region give some info on the best teams from up there in the past from , Mishawaka, penn, portage, merrillville, crown point, Hobart and others? 

Here are 15 years team state teams

Ones that you mention

1997-Portage (Semi-Finals) / Penn 2nd

1998-Portage 2nd

1999-Hobart / LaPorte (Semi-Finalist)

2000-Portage (Semi-finalist) / Mishawaka 2nd

2001-Mishawaka (Semi-Finalist) / Portage 2nd

2002-Portage Q / Mishawaka semi-finalist

2003-Griffith 2nd

2004-Portage (Semi-Finalist)

2005-Portage Q

2006-Merrillville Q / Mishawaka (Semi-Finalist)

2007-Mishawaka 2nd

2008- Merrillville (Semi-finalist) / Mishawaka 1st

2009-Crown Point 1st

2010-Mishawaka 1st

2011- Penn (semi finalist)

2012- Penn Q / Crown Point 2nd

Edited by brickfor6
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RaiderColfax said:

2004 portage team was the first team to beat EMD in the state dual tourney. At least we have that going for us lol

hesseltine was tough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, RaiderColfax said:

The entire team was tough! But Hesseltine unfortunately didn’t get his title. But that spladle was nasty!

yes they were nails..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

yes they were nails..

That was my sophomore year. Had some hhhhaaammmeerrrss on the team. Watching Danny Martinez give it his all two matches in a row, it was amazing to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

2013 Perry Meridian Wrestling Team - 102.5 points scored w/o scoring Friday Night (started scoring Friday Night the next year)

106: Brett Johnson SQ

113: Jacob Cottey 5th

126: Brandon James: 5th

132: Cody LeCount: 1st

138: Nick Bova: 7th

160: Riley McClurg: 1st

182: Jake Masengale: 2nd

HWT: Donte Winfield: 1st

 

Not saying it was the best team, but I'd throw this squad in the mix. 4 in the finals with 3 champs. Just think - if James doesn't lose that heart breaker to Welch on Saturday morning.. or if Cottey doesn't drop a heart breaker to Davis, who he had beaten earlier in the year, on Saturday morning.. pretty solid team. Grateful to have been apart of it.

ALSO - won the IHSWCA 3A State Duals

57-13 over Cathedral (Quarters)

40-15 over Penn (Semis)

46-11 over Franklin Community (Finals)

Edited by Riley McClurg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mishawaka 2006:

  • Josh Harper - 1st
  • Nick Wiesjahn - 4th
  • Benji Dolly - 3rd
  • Ian Hinton - 1st
  • Pat Day - 1st

Mishawaka 2007: 

  • Josh Harper - 1st
  • Nick Wiesjahn - 3rd
  • Steven Sandefer - 5th
  • Kurt Kauffman - 5th
  • Ian Hinton - 1st
  • Randy Morin - 4th

Mishawaka 2008: 

  • Paul Beck - 7th
  • Adam Guerra - 5th
  • Josh Harper - 1st
  • Steven Sandefer - 1st
  • Caleb Norville - 6th
  • Dave Balentine - 4th
  • Randy Morin - 3rd

Mishawaka 2010: 

  • Paul Beck - 2nd
  • Layten Binion - 7th
  • Taylor Wisler - 8th
  • Nick Schrader - 4th
  • Matt Guerra - 4th
  • Ryan Stahl - 4th
  • Richard Morin - 6th
  • Christian Lentz - 2nd
  • Travis Thomas - 3rd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.