Who from Indiana got into D1 NCAAs? (FINAL list of D1 Starters' conference results and earned bids)

Updated below with conference tournament results, bids earned, and at-large bid possibilities.

RPI/Coaches' Panel rankings included

Drew Hildebrandt, CMU 7/19 (finished 2nd in MAC for auto bid)
Devin Schroder, Purdue 19/18 (finished 8th at B10 for auto bid)
Elijah Oliver, IU 23/28 (finished 4th at B10 for auto bid)

Jose Diaz, Franklin & Marshall, was 0-2 at EIWA. 

Stevan Micic, Michigan -/1 (FF to 6th at B10 for auto bid)
Ben Thornton, Purdue 10/20 (finished 7th at B10 for auto bid)
Paul Konrath, IU goes 1-3 at B10. 

Nick Lee, Penn St. 6/2 (finished 3rd at B10 for auto bid)
Chad Red, Nebraska 19/23 (finished 2nd at B10 for auto bid)

Nate Limmex, Purdue 20/27; finished 10th at B10. Receives at-large bid.

Nathan Boston, Campbell finished 3rd at SoCon. 

Blake Mulkey, Gardner-Webb, finished 4th at SoCon. 

Kyle Luigs, IU goes 2-3 at B10. 

Parker Filius, Purdue, and Fernie Silva, IU, both go 0-2 at B10. 

Griffin Parriott, Purdue 19/13 (finished 9th at B10 for auto bid)
Jake Tucker, Michigan St. 28/-; FF out of all B10 matches. 
Jake Danishek, IU -/22; goes 1-3 at B10.

Bryce Martin, IU 26/21 (finished 7th at B10 for auto bid)
Cael McCormick, Army 25/27 (finished 2nd at EIWA for auto bid)

Cole Wysocki, Purdue, goes 2-3 at B10. 

Dylan Lydy, Purdue 9/10 (finished 5th at B10 for auto bid)
Ben Harvey, Army 18/18 (finished 5th at EIWA for auto bid)
Jake Covaciu, IU 32/25; goes 2-3 at B10. Receives at-large bid.
Drew Hughes, Michigan St. 33/28 (finishes 7th at B10 for auto bid)

Norman Conley, IU 31/-; goes 2-3 at B10. 
Max Lyon, Purdue 30/29 (finished 7th at B10 for auto bid)

Christian Brunner, Purdue 5/12 (finished 5th at B10 for auto bid)

Jake Kleimola, IU, B10; finished 8th at B10. 

Gable Steveson, Minnesota 2/1 (finished 2nd at B10 for auto bid)
Mason Parris, Michigan 5/5 (finished 7th at B10 for auto bid)
Jacob Aven, Purdue 26/- (finished 8th at B10, received last-minute alternate bid)

Connor Tolley, UT-Chattanooga, finished 4th at SoCon. 

Fletcher Miller, IU, goes 0-2 at B10. 

•  
Edited by maligned

• 2 weeks later...

I've said in another thread that Connor Tolley could be a dark horse at 285 to qualify for NCAAs out of the Southern Conference. He's still in the mix for sure. As the #2 seed, he should be a clear favorite in his first match, but will face a toss-up semi-final against Batkishig of Campbell, who he beat 7-4 in the dual, but who has several more impressive wins than Connor on the year. Should he win, he'll almost certainly get the clear weight class favorite, Cary Miller of App State, who has majored Connor in their last two meetings, including once this year. Tolley did come within 7-5 of him in a dual last year, but he'll need a great performance.

Another interesting weight class at the SoCon for Indiana fans will be 141. There's only one spot up for grabs, but two of the seven competitors will be Nathan Boston and Blake Mulkey, the likely #'s 2 and 4 seeds. The probable #1 seed Chris Debien of UT-Chattanooga is far from dominant, so any slip-up from Debien could mean an Indiana alum qualifies for nationals. Mulkey is only 3-3 in the conference, but his 3 losses were 9-7 to Debien, 4-3 to Boston, and 4-3 to the kid from VMI. Boston was 5-1 for the conference slate, picking up 4 dominant wins, plus the narrow win over Mulkey and a 6-2 loss to Debien. All these scores I mention suggest it's not too crazy to think Saturday could be a special day for one of our guys.

1 hour ago, maligned said:

I've said in another thread that Connor Tolley could be a dark horse at 285 to qualify for NCAAs out of the Southern Conference. He's still in the mix for sure. As the #2 seed, he should be a clear favorite in his first match, but will face a toss-up semi-final against Batkishig of Campbell, who he beat 7-4 in the dual, but who has several more impressive wins than Connor on the year. Should he win, he'll almost certainly get the clear weight class favorite, Cary Miller of App State, who has majored Connor in their last two meetings, including once this year. Tolley did come within 7-5 of him in a dual last year, but he'll need a great performance.

Another interesting weight class at the SoCon for Indiana fans will be 141. There's only one spot up for grabs, but two of the seven competitors will be Nathan Boston and Blake Mulkey, the likely #'s 2 and 4 seeds. The probable #1 seed Chris Debien of UT-Chattanooga is far from dominant, so any slip-up from Debien could mean an Indiana alum qualifies for nationals. Mulkey is only 3-3 in the conference, but his 3 losses were 9-7 to Debien, 4-3 to Boston, and 4-3 to the kid from VMI. Boston was 5-1 for the conference slate, picking up 4 dominant wins, plus the narrow win over Mulkey and a 6-2 loss to Debien. All these scores I mention suggest it's not too crazy to think Saturday could be a special day for one of our guys.

Quick note as a reference point... 

In their final regular season match, IU's Kyle Luigs beat Debien with a 12-8 decision.  

3 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Quick note as a reference point... 

In their final regular season match, IU's Kyle Luigs beat Debien with a 12-8 decision.  

Luigs finished the regular season like a boss. According to Wrestlestat rankings, pins #29 Murin, falls 8-5 to #11 McKee, and beats #28 Debien 12-8. He's absolutely in the mix for one of the nine Big 10 spots if he keeps that up.

SoCon brackets were released.

Boston gets the 2-seed as expected and has 3 guys in his half of the bracket that he smoked during the year.

Mulkey loses out on some tiebreakers and gets the 5-seed despite having the same conference record as the 3 and 4 seeds. In the quarters, he'll have the VMI kid that beat him 4-3 during the year, and then 1-seed Debien awaits with a bye into the semi's.

Tolley gets the 2-seed as expected, but an unexpected forfeit in the quarters puts him straight into the semi's--most likely against the Mongolian national Batkishig of Campbell in what is probably a coin-flip match. As stated above, the favorite, #1 seed Miller of App State, will be the big hurdle to an NCAAs berth in the finals.

Drew Hildebrandt edited above to include his #2 seed in the MAC tourney. Very tricky weight. The top 6 guys of the 8 are all very evenly matched and any of them could take the 4 auto bids. Thankfully, Drew appears safe for an NCAA bid with his RPI and coaches' rankings even if he has a down weekend.

30 minutes ago, stateorbust said:

When are the at-large bids announced? I know I read it somewhere this weekend, but I can't find it anywhere.

According to this, at-large selections will be announced tomorrow and brackets on Wednesday.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/2019-03-01/ncaa-division-i-wrestling-qualifier-allocations-2019-championships

3pm today for at-large bids. Top 2 seeds for all weights will slowly be revealed from 4-6pm on Twitter tomorrow before the brackets are revealed at 6pm.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/2019-03-11/ncaa-wrestling-championship-qualifiers-be-announced-3-pm-tuesday-march-12

Also, do I read it correctly that ALL 33 will be seeded?? That would be new of course.

5 hours ago, maligned said:

3pm today for at-large bids. Top 2 seeds for all weights will slowly be revealed from 4-6pm on Twitter tomorrow before the brackets are revealed at 6pm.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/2019-03-11/ncaa-wrestling-championship-qualifiers-be-announced-3-pm-tuesday-march-12

Also, do I read it correctly that ALL 33 will be seeded?? That would be new of course.

While we are waiting, I've got an exercise for ya maligned.....  

Seed 125 (Top 6) and 285  (Top 3)

Both are difficult for different reasons.  At 285, Cassar beat Steveson, Steveson beat White and White beat Cassar.

Below is the criteria. My understanding is they literally take it item by item for each guy vs. each guy as a pseudo matchup. Whoever has the most "wins" gets the top seed, then second seed, and so on. The missing pieces for us are the updated RPI and Coaches' rankings, which I'm guessing will come out today. In the case of 285, I'd guess they'll go Cassar-Steveson-White in the coaches' ratings, which will probably be enough to push Cassar into the top seed. I haven't looked closely enough at all the schedules of the 125s to know how that would shake out. (A quality win, by the way, means anyone that won an automatic bid when they're trying to determine at-large spots and then anyone that is in the field of 33 when they're determining seeds. Lastly...they ARE seeding all 33 this year. I read it in the selection process manual.)

1244987967_ScreenShot2019-03-12at10_34_10AM.thumb.png.878c31b40cd0f6300e330b274f641b24.png

Edited by maligned

At 285, it's obscenely close between the three when you dig deeper. All 1-1 in head-to-head, 12-12-11 in quality wins, 1-2-3 in coaches' rank, 1-1-2 in conference placement, all 100% against common opponents, 27-1/26-1/25-1 against D1 competition, and 1-2-3 in RPI.

My best guess from published data pre-conference tournaments is we'll end up with Cassar-Steveson-White in coaches' rank and White-Cassar-Steveson in RPI. If so, here are the criteria point results:

Cassar over Steveson, 75-25

Steveson over White, 75-25

White over Cassar, 55-45

I guess you then total up those head-to-head "criteria points" since they all three are 1-1 again?? Don't know how they'll do it for sure. But if all my assumptions from above hold and they just total criteria points from those three matchups, you'd end up with 1. Cassar, 2. Steveson, 3. White.

Edited by maligned

13 minutes ago, maligned said:

At 285, it's obscenely close between the three when you dig deeper. All 1-1 in head-to-head, 12-12-11 in quality wins, 1-2-3 in coaches' rank, 1-1-2 in conference placement, all 100% against common opponents, 27-1/26-1/25-1 against D1 competition, and 1-2-3 in RPI.

My best guess from published data pre-conference tournaments is we'll end up with Cassar-Steveson-White in coaches' rank and White-Cassar-Steveson in RPI. If so, here are the criteria point results:

Cassar over Steveson, 75-25

Steveson over White, 75-25

White over Cassar, 55-45

I guess you then total up those head-to-head "criteria points" since they all three are 1-1 again?? Don't know how they'll do it for sure. But if all my assumptions from above hold and they just total criteria points from those three matchups, you'd end up with 1. Cassar, 2. Steveson, 3. White.

Heavyweight is insane this year. You feel bad for whoever gets 2 and 3 knowing that one of them definitely won't make the final. It almost feels like they need a mini-round robin round for these three guys.

This is pretty cool something the Illinois coaches assoc. put together. Looks like they have 22 to our 11. That seems about right any idea how many Ohio and Pennsylvania have.

5AE528DE-8016-4205-8D6C-DDE1478F55F8.jpeg

1 hour ago, maligned said:

That's very cool.  I would have guessed slightly more than that for Illinois, though. Not sure on the PA/OH totals either. Gotta be north of 30 for Ohio and 40 for PA, right?

Pennsylvania 53

Ohio 24

New Jersey 23

Illinois 22

All per Flo

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6394957-2019-ncaas-by-the-numbers